Weather In January

NJ Gal

We are considering a Celebrity cruise in early January Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Has anyone done this in January? What weather can we expect? I really don't like extremely hot and humid for sightseeing. Is this what we can expect the first two weeks of January. Someone told me that we should expect July weather in New Jersey at that time of year. All help appreciated.

NJ GAL

We are considering a Celebrity cruise in early January Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Has anyone done this in January? What weather can we expect? I really don't like extremely hot and humid for sightseeing. Is this what we can expect the first two weeks of January. Someone told me that we should expect July weather in New Jersey at that time of year. All help appreciated.

NJ GAL

You will have all types of weather on this cruise, so pack accordingly.

Both Buenos Aires and Valparaiso will be just like New Jersey in the Summer - hot and humid. The further south you go, the cooler it gets. By the time you reach the cape, you will be seeing snow and pinguins - that's how cold it gets.

Sorry not to be more specific, but you will literally experience all four seasons in two weeks!! Don't be put off by that, though, it is a fantastic cruise.

We left Rio in on January 8th last year and that was very hot and humid. The day we were in B.A. it was warm but not unbearable as it started to rain. In Montevideo it was quite cool, windy and rainy. I wore long sleeves that day.

We missed Punta Arenas due to the forecast of high winds in the afternoon and apparently there are no tugs at that port so our Captain did not want to risk damaging the ship when would leave in the afternoon. If we had of docked, we would have had a beautiful sunny, warm day.

We also missed the Falklands due to bad weather but had wonderful weather down in Antarctica. Ushuaia was around 66F (18C) and fine, Puerto Madryn was cold and windy around 50F (15C) and Puerto Montt was perfect, around 70F (20C) with no wind. When we docked at Valpariso it was around 66F

(18C). As we drove closer to Santiago, the weather became warmer.

The weather can be very changeable and if you went in January this year it would probably would have been completely different. We took layers and dressed accordingly. If you are going to the Iguazu Falls, then you need clothing for hot, humid weather like Rio.

Jennie

We have sailed this route in January and also in February.

It is summertime in South America so expect highs in the 80s and possibly

90s in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso. As you go south it gets cooler so places like Punta Arenas will likley have highs in the 40s and possibly low 50s but likely it will feel cooler because of the winds.

So, on a trip like this you need two types of clothing; for the warm and the cooler temperatures.

For the cooler temperatures be prepared to layer your clothing. I recommend bringing a waterproof jacket (eg., Northface or something like that) a fleece, waterproof pants, a sweater, gloves and a hat for the cooler weather. You may luck out with no rain but it's just good to be prepared.

It is an outstanding trip.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Archived