Now I am a little scared, any truth to this????

Uhm ok I am soo ignorant on this subject, but uhm do the sheets not get changed everyday? or after the last pax left and new pax come aboard? Or do bed bugs still hang around even if there are new crisp sheets on the bed? Because from what I've been reading, I'm wondering if they even change the sheets daily :eek:. At least I haven't heard anyone say that when the sheets get changed the bed bugs go away. Can someone enlighten me here, thanks!

Bed bugs have occured at some of the Best Hotels in New York lately.

I have heard of some ships with this problem.

DH came back from San Diego last year and the hotel he stayed at had them.

So I did research when he came home. The suit case that he used was put into a plastic trash bag and sealed shut for 6 months. I left it sitting in our very hot- HOt Tub Room. This will kill those little blood suckers. Lugage is their mode of trasnportation. It also stated that if you suspect or would like to check out a bed before jumping in, os to look at the corners of the bed, see if there are dark spots. If these are there takea blow dryer and heat up an area of the bed, those little suckers will come running.

We have not had this problems when on a cruise and hope that never will.

I've never seen bed bugs on a cruise, but I did have them in a Miami South Beach hotel. I had to go down to the main desk and request to be moved. You can be sure that I check out the new room very closely! BTW the person at the desk was not surprised.

Bedbugs are everywhere. Certain essentual (sp) oils will help prevent them from coming out.

I use Melaluca products and always take me a bottle with me. Those pesty bugs had the smell of this and I spray everything dealing with my bed down with this stuff. No begbugs yet for me! :D

Heavily used hiding places are evident by black or brown spots of dried blood excrement on the surfaces where the bugs rest. Eggs, egg shells, and cast skins may be found near these places. Usually there is an offensive odor where bed bugs are numerous. In early infestations the bed bugs are found only about the tufts, seams, and folds of mattresses and daybed covers; later they spread to cracks and crevices in the bedsteads. If allowed to multiply, they establish themselves behind baseboards, window and door casings, pictures, and moldings, and in furniture, loosened wallpaper, and cracks in plaster and partitions.

from http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_g/g-318.html

I'm starting to itch, too!

Because we keep our luggage in the attic, I usually get it out a few days early and spray it with bug spray. This is more to kill any spiders that might have gotten in somehow. (Our area is known for the Brown Recluse.) Hopefully, the spray - which lasts several months - would also discourage any bugs, including bedbugs, from hitching rides.

We've stayed in some fairly inexpensive (cheap) hotels and have been on several ships and we haven't had any problems with bed bugs. Hopefully, someone will figure out how to keep them from becoming a worse problem here in the US.

i have never had a problem w/ cleanliness on CCL. but, all the same, i really wish i hadn't opened this thread.:eek:

let's hope liv doesn't open it. he's just getting over the nightmares from the last thread.:D

Had to go there didn't you.:cool:

Had to go there didn't you.:cool:

uh-oh. see. you made it through the entire day yesterday w/o opening this thread. now, you're gonna have nightmares again.:D

i see duck responded. i won't even open his attachment. i can only imagine how it wld gross me out. i'd recommend you stay away from that too, my friend.:p

I try not to think about it but I have encountered it twice now. Once in the embassy suites in ft lauderadale last year. We discovered them though and they moved us to a new room (we even caught some just in case the hotel gave us a hard time but they didnt)

Then last october in Ballys in Atlantic City. I came home with bites all over me and went to the dr to confirm.

I truly hate to be one of those people who worry, cant live your life like that but its hard after two incidents lol! And I dont believe there is anything to keep them away or get rid of them either! Yuck

Like norovirus, bed bugs can happen anywhere. Also like norovirus, they get more press when they occur on cruise ships than they do when they occur anywhere else.

Is it worth worrying about? I don't think so.

Try having lizards in your room.:eek: We were on a Princess cruise and there were these lizards in the room, by my face when I woke up. I'd take bed bugs any day after that one.

Princess probably put the lizards in there to eat the bedbugs. :D

Princess probably put the lizards in there to eat the bedbugs. :D

ROFL! Then they'll put snakes in there to eat the lizards, and then gorillas to eat the snakes. Finally, they'll freeze the gorillas to death with the A/C. :D

:p You guys are hysterical!!!! I love it! Still scratching though...... Oh, and as for the idea about the bed cover, that is a great idea but what about your pillows and bed spread??? Do they make covers for those too and won't the little suckers eat through them???? Yuck Yuck and more yuck!!!!

If you could see what a high-powered microscope would find crawling all over your skin even right after stepping out of your morning shower, you'd probably faint.

:)

You are certainly right on this one! If a person really starts thinking about all the "icky stuff", you'd go crazy. I have never let myself get caught up in thinking about it, and it's just better if we don't. I just feel bad for those people out there that are honest to goodness "germophobes". Even an operating room is contaminated, just less than most other places. Although I would hate to find bed bugs in my cabin, I know the odds will be very high that I won't. This world is far from perfect, but it's the only one we got...bed bugs and all.:eek:

I'd rather do a simple check of the mattress to make sure there are none of those lovely little blood spots, than move in and get infested with bedbugs. It is a nice feeling when the mattress is nice and white. I've heard stories of people bringing bedbugs home and having trouble getting rid of them. One really good tip is to never put your luggage on the bed, cause they hitch a ride home in the luggage and next thing you know you're paying an exterminator and buying a new mattress. Scratch, scratch, itch itch. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Do yourself a real big favor.Stop believing everything you see on the internet.

Well, you can make that choice and for many things its a good idea. BUT, I know from now on in hotels, and on ships, we will be checking for bedbuggs.

DS (14) got them on our last cruise. That was on a 7 night on The Magic Feb-Mar 2007.

HE was covered in them. :eek:

THis is one thing that can happen anywhere, no matter how well things are cleaned. THey are brought on by one passenger and then they just keep looking for hosts.

Archived