Labadee,Haiti ?????

I will cruising this Sept 2nd on the FOS. As i looked over the excursion info for Labadee, Haiti. I noticed that they charde for what seems to be every lil fun thing there is to do. For example, $10 for a mat and there is $20 to use the water trampilyne. I would like to know isd there any fun activities to be had with out having to pay 10 here 20 there?

I will cruising this Sept 2nd on the FOS. As i looked over the excursion info for Labadee, Haiti. I noticed that they charde for what seems to be every lil fun thing there is to do. For example, $10 for a mat and there is $20 to use the water trampilyne. I would like to know isd there any fun activities to be had with out having to pay 10 here 20 there?

Nope.

You can wander around, eat the picnic lunch, lay on a chaise, and swim. The rest is pay to play. I didn't get off the ship our last visit.

Labadee is one of our favorite stops.. We love to just lay on a lounger and take in the whole beach environment. Since we live in landlocked Nebraska just laying around the beach is enough for us. We do rent the $10 mat though and enjoy it alot. Won't pay for any of the other 'extras'.

Also the marketplace is always interesting...

Bev

Labadee is one of our favorite stops.. We love to just lay on a lounger and take in the whole beach environment. Since we live in landlocked Nebraska just laying around the beach is enough for us. We do rent the $10 mat though and enjoy it alot. Won't pay for any of the other 'extras'.

Also the marketplace is always interesting...

Bev

I agree. We always look forward to going to Labadee to spend a nice relaxing day in the water. We also have a great time at the marketplace. We always seem to find a few things we can't seem to live without.

I'm not sure how many hammocks there are but we had no trouble getting one. We were on the Brilliance so it might be a little harder on a bigger ship.

I honestly wasn't looking forward to Labadee. But the water was so nice and it was fun to wander around so the time went by reallly quickly and it was a nice relaxing beach day.

Does anyone ever bring their own blow-up tube or pool float?

We bought a bunch of blow up floating mats at end of the year clearance sales for $1, it was super easy to just carry them over and blow them up ourselves. Since we got it so cheap we didn't want to take them back on the ship, we considered them disposable.

When we were through with them we took them over to the little sale/craft area and were able to trade them with merchants for small trinkets and souvenirs.

Labadee is amazing and I'm sure you'll fall in love with it. If you went to a beach on one of the other islands, you would be charged for a chair, an umbrella and for lunch. You won't be on Labadee. Also, the bathrooms are clean and free (they actually charge you to pee in some ports) and obviously, you don't have to take a taxi or a charter to get to the beach.

There are charges for floating mats but if you're really that frugal, come sit near us. We usually give them away when we're done with it.

Of course I know there are enough hammocks for everyone onbaord; but approximately how many hammocks are there? Are we going to have to catch the first tender over in order to get one?

We had a hard time getting one. Were just there on the Liberty's 7/14 sailing.

DH wanted to nap around 1:00...could not find one. People had "claimed" them by putting their stuff in them.

I guess it's different with every sailing.

Jen

Nope.

You can wander around, eat the picnic lunch, lay on a chaise, and swim. The rest is pay to play. I didn't get off the ship our last visit.

Glad to know I am not the only one who didn't enjoy this stop. I realize I'm in the minority and I'm glad most people love it, but next time I won't get off the ship for this one either.

Jen

"The Haitians who work on the beach will offer to find chairs for you in return for a tip...

And the fight with each other over it!!!!!"

I didn't have a problem tipping one of them $2.00 to carry 3 chairs for us.

It's funny, b/c we had 1 guy helping us with the chairs & next moment, there were 3 of them helping. No problem, we just tipped the first guy $3 & $2 for the each of the other 2 and off they went. I think I recall signs posted that no tip was necessary.

We love Labadee and were very sad on our last cruise when it was too rough for the ship to dock there. Here are some pictures to help you decide what to do. THe photos are of the beach and the marketplace.

http://familytravelfun.com/labadeephoto.html

I *LOVE* the pictures of Labadee!

Never been there but will be on our next cruise, thanks for sharing!

You can visit Dragon's Breath Point. It was closed due to high waves when we were there. It's basically a rocky cliff area where the sound of the water sounds like a dragon breathing. I would bet it's pretty nifty to experience.

We loved our day there. We slept in a little, had a leisurely breakfast, then took a tender over when it was a little less crowded. You're not going to get a hammock with this method but I burn VERY easily so I have to limit my beach time.

We looked at the market (where one haggles- a little overwhelming) and the fixed price area (where we bought a few trinkets for a total of $5).

We then did the walk a mile (which we do on the ship each day)- not only free but you earn shipshape dollars:D . This gave us a chance to check out the whole island, take pictures and decide which beach we were going to spend time on.

By the time this was done, it was time for lunch (they only set up in one area the day we were there)- burgers, ribs, chicken, salads, corn, cookies, fruit, etc. Got a Labadoozee, which quickly became my favorite cruise ship drink.

Then we settled in at the Hideaway Beach- swam around a bit (the tow was pretty strong) and hung out on the beach.

We wandered around a little more, walking along Barefoot Beach which was also nice.

Then we got back on a tender and enjoyed the rest of the afternoon on a relatively quiet ship. Total cost for the day- $10. Our cheapest and one of our favorite "ports". We didn't feel like we missed out by not doing any of the paid activities.

Enjoy!

For anyone who might not have seen this before, I have a cruise map of Labadee which shows most of the major attractions:

Cruise Map of Labadee, Haiti

I haven't been there since they added the Zip Line, if anyone can provide the info on where it is, I'd be happy to add it to the map. Can you see it in the satellite photo?

What is the name of the attraction located at Columbus Cove Beach? It looks like there are several new features in that area. I obviously need to take another cruise to Labadee, so I can update the map! :)

Theron

Archived