Labadee,Haiti ?????

My family of four really enjoyed Labadee, although the market intimidated me and made me feel a little sad/guilty that we had so much (they would trade burgers for trinkets) and they have so little.

My husband bought a CD from on of the local bands on the beach. The quality isn't great, but it is a nice reminder of an awesome vacation.

I'm often amazed when people complain that Labadee is just a beach. Why do these people go to the Caribbean?

I've been to six Caribbean islands where I never set foot anywhere near a beach. There is SO much more to the Caribbean than beaches, though they are beautiful!!

Of course I know there are enough hammocks for everyone onbaord; but approximately how many hammocks are there? Are we going to have to catch the first tender over in order to get one?

Tip one of the Haitian guys working there and he'll find you an empty one if one exists. We tipped a guy $5 to find us two lounge chairs half in and half out of the shade and the guy was wonderful all day. We gave him another $10 when we left.

Viv

Unless you want alcohol or sodas, you need not spend a penny on Labadee! We don't! If you need a chair moved, it's nice to tip the guy who moves it, but you certainly can do it yourself!

Labadee is a beach day--treat it as such. You don't need to book a "mat" in advance--wait and see if you want or need one! They have plenty on the beach if you decide you want to float in the ocean.

Which is the best area to go in Labadee? Is it Nellie's Beach, Hideway Beach or Barefoot Beach. My friend and I are going in September and don't want something that is for couples or overly secluded. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Kelly

Labadee is my favorite port, I think it is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever been to, I cannot wait to go back. The only downside is the line to tender on the Explorer, I hope that isn't such a PIA on my next trip.

We had a great time on Labadee. It was a nice, relaxing day. A tip goes a long way to get chairs, etc. DH napped in the shade and read a book- while I napped in the sun and swam. We also did the wave runners- this you will have to pay for but they are a lot of fun.

The market place it great, I could kick myself for not purchasing a few more things. Great Haitian art, carvings, etc.

One of the best items is the LABADOOZIES!!!;)

Which is the best area to go in Labadee? Is it Nellie's Beach, Hideway Beach or Barefoot Beach. My friend and I are going in September and don't want something that is for couples or overly secluded. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

Kelly

We didn't find that any of them were overly secluded- there is, after all, a boatload of people on the island with you.:D

We liked Hideaway best for lounging (less people) but Barefoot better for swimming (less tow). You might want to bring swim shoes with you if you plan to be in the water.

How far is the walk from the pier to Dragons breath? Is there a path? Just wondering how easy it is to find it from the pier. Can you walk along all of the beaches to get there.

How far is the walk from the pier to Dragons breath? Is there a path? Just wondering how easy it is to find it from the pier. Can you walk along all of the beaches to get there.

The map I posted in message #25 shows the bird's eye view of the whole peninsula, including a scale so you can estimate the distance.

If you zoom in one level, it will fill the map screen with the area and let you see a little closer up how to get from the pier to Dragon's Breath.

Theron

Archived