Ghost tours--HELP

Giantfan13

My wife is a lover of ghost tours. Where ever we are, she loves to go on these. She has seen several ones in NO and I was wondering if anyone can recommend one, better than the other. We have found several coupons for them, some are cheaper than others. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I see nobody has responded to your question on ghost tours. I have not been on one myself yet, but I am visiting NOLA in September and plan on using "Haunted History Tours". I have done quite a bit of research and most people really have enjoyed their tour with them. I plan to do the evening ghost tour in the Quarter.

I am familier with "Haunted History Tours". We are often in the Quarter and have seen them giving tours. I have listened to some of their descriptions of properties and associated stories and have found them to be fairly knowledgable. I think the evening tour would be the best also. Just from the number of times I have seen them I would assume that they are the most popular. We will be in The Quarter this weekend and if we see them I will take some pics for ya.

Thanks for the recommendations. After going over several guide books, Foder thought they were the best also. BTW, they are the most expensive, but if they do the best work, it will equal out. We are booking for Sat nite, aug 25. I'll let you know how it went.

There are several coupons from the NO Convention center web site. For this tour it's 20% off.

My DH and I went on the Haunted History Tour in NOLA back in February and loved it. They have a tour at 6 and another at 8. We went on the 8:00 and found it more fun because it was dark!! :eek:

They are very knowledgable about the buildings that they are showing you and do a great job at interjecting some humor into it.

I would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a NOLA ghost tour and would even go again myself!! They have also been featured on the Travel channel and various magazines and always get excellent reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

We loved the Haunted History tour also, and took the one after dark so it seemed spookier! Our guide was an ator and did a terrific job bringing the sites to life (or perhaps to death would be more appropriate!)

We loved the Haunted History tour also, and took the one after dark so it seemed spookier! Our guide was an actor and did a terrific job bringing the sites to life (or perhaps to death would be more appropriate!)

We loved the Haunted History tour also, and took the one after dark so it seemed spookier! Our guide was an actor and did a terrific job bringing the sites to life (or perhaps to death would be more appropriate!)

• 4 months later...
Thanks for the recommendations. After going over several guide books, Foder thought they were the best also. BTW, they are the most expensive, but if they do the best work, it will equal out.

The only one I saw that left at 8:00 p.m. from a vodoo shop was only $20. pp. I'm thinking I'm not looking at what everyone is talking about since I can imagine that being the most expensive one. Also, is that price the cost after the 20% coupon or do that reduce that price even more with the NO Convention Center coupon?

• 1 year later...

We are looking at a ghost tour as well. Sounds like Haunted History is the way to go.

Would the tour be appropriate for 11 and 8 year old girls?

Thanks for the tip on the 20% coupon whoever posted that.

Here's a direct link to the coupon.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/listings/index.cfm/action/displayListing/catID/15/listingID/7824/hit/1

We are looking at a ghost tour as well. Sounds like Haunted History is the way to go.

Haunted History (or New Orleans Ghost Tours - both are the same company) are very popular. If you're looking for a theatrical, yet accurate, ghost tour it's a good one. Very appropriate for children and adults alike. The 2 hour tour is a walking tour with several stops for stories. The walk isn't a long one - or a hard one.

The only one I saw that left at 8:00 p.m. from a vodoo shop was only $20. pp.

I took this tour and enjoyed it. Depending on the night they send out about three or four groups. They do stop at a haunted bar for folks to rest and have a drink.

I went on a Friday night in December and was glad I went on the earlier tour (it was dark for both) because there were already a few drunks on my tour and I imagine it only gets worse later in the evening.

Thanks for the tip on the 20% coupon whoever posted that.

Here's a direct link to the coupon.

http://www.neworleanscvb.com/listings/index.cfm/action/displayListing/catID/15/listingID/7824/hit/1

I can recommend this gal: http://www.bloodymarystours.com/tours.html

She did a great job for us last January.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad I saw this thread! I want to go on a ghost tour in Mar when we sail the Triumph. My 15 year old niece and I love this stuff! I spend all day watching the Ghost Hunters marathon on tv! It is so much fun. Thanks for all the info and for those of yall that go in the near future, please come back and post a review!

• 1 month later...

I also would like to do a ghost tour.:D I'm not really into the theatrical aspect. I would prefer something a little more factual. Can anyone recommend anything? I am also into the TAPS and Ghost Hunter shows. Also, I'm wondering if it will be way too cold to be walking around town in January!:eek:

I also would like to do a ghost tour.:D I'm not really into the theatrical aspect. I would prefer something a little more factual. Can anyone recommend anything? I am also into the TAPS and Ghost Hunter shows. Also, I'm wondering if it will be way too cold to be walking around town in January!:eek:

I don't want to say that Haunted History isn't factual - they are. They do know the history of the city and do a great job of presenting it - in a theatrical form. But if you want a lest theatrical tour I'd recommend Magic Tours. They are serious historians, so give you the facts without the theatrics. http://www.magictoursnola.com/

As to being too cold to walk around town in Jan. - I sometimes need a jacket then. New Orleans doesn't get really cold (IMHO, but then I'm originally from Montana). I would bring a sweater and/or jacket along but you probably won't need more than that.

• 1 month later...

Did a ghost tour in New Orleans a couple of years ago... but I can't remember the company. It didn't have folks jumping out at you or dressed up. No blood and guts... It was only $12 or so.

This was a nicely paced walking tourin the evening. Told us the stories. I enjoyed it so much we took the company's cemetary tour also.

The one thing I do remember is this company donates a % of the tours to the restoration of the cemetaries.

If you are of the age group that saw Easy Rider.... you have to go to the Cemetary where Peter Fonda climbed up onto the statue. (By the way they didn't have permission to do so)

• 1 month later...

DH and I did the Haunted History walking Vampire tour last weekend and it was a hoot! We are both born/raised in NOLA and their stories, while theatrical, were based on local legends/stories. I definitely give the tour two thumbs up. My DH took my then 11 year old son on the ghost tour last summer and they loved it as well-- same company "Haunted History".

Are there any "rest breaks" during the 2 hour walking tours/Ghost Tours ? Are the carriage tours a good way to hear the history and sights of the French Quarter ? I have just a little concern about the 2 hours of walking being "almost" elderly with some arthritis in my feet. :o

Definitely wear tennis shoes if you go. We had walked from a restaurant to the tour, so I had on comfortable flats and my feet were aching by the end (I'm 40). There is one 10 minute rest break half way through at a bar and there were plenty of places to sit. I don't think we walked that far of a distance for the whole tour, but other than the bar stop, there is no place to sit during the tour.

I haven't taken a carriage ride, so I can't comment on that.

Archived