I need help with tours in FP, Paul Gauguin...

ludela

My husband and I are going to FP this coming August 4 at Paul Gauguin ship. We are a lover of beaches, and we traveled around the Caribbean several times, however being in the Polynesia for the first time we think that we have to tour the islands as well. I would really appreciate some suggestions about tours and to have time to lay down on a beach. We thought about doing a 3 hours tour, the off-road tour through the ship and then to rent a car to tour the island and the beaches by ourselves. Do you think that it is a good idea? I would really appreciate some suggestions….

Hi Ludela,

My advice is this: Consider a post-cruise stay on one or more islands in French Polynesia. Your hotel should be able to arrange a tour of whatever island you're on, and they can also help you with a rental car so that you can explore on your own. A good travel agent who knows FP should be able to help you pick the right island(s).

Enjoy,

Mary Sue

We just returned from the 10day July 11th cruise. I did about every excursion imaginable and the best time we had was getting off the boat in Bora Bora and Moorea and renting a dune buggy to travel around the islands. STRONGLY recommend it. It was a blast and the rental group is always camped out right off the dock that the tenders go to. The buggys will go quickly (esp if the tahitian princess is in the same port) so go early or reserve the buggy for the following day if you are there for more than one day. It takes about 2-3 hours to travel around the islands and explore and cost about $70. Outside of renting the buggys, we enjoyed the jungle hike if you are physically able to do it. I was originally signed up for the 4x4 adventure on Moorea but cancelled to do the dune buggys on our own and everyone on that excursion was a little bit disappointed since they didn't do that much off roading. The jet ski around Bora Bora was okay but I would do the jet boat if possible since they stopped to do the stingrays and our jet ski excursion did not. I also parasailed in Moorea and it was a blast. If you want to get wet.... Go last and they driver will dump you at the end for a brief moment. It was fun.

I see you're on the 7-day itinerary. So you will or can have two wonderful afternoons on a lovely beach on a motu off Bora Bora. The sand is white and really clean, and the water is great. Great views of the island as well, take your camera. Of course, you also have the day on Motu Mahana, another great beach and water day.

I agree that a pre-cruise gets you on an island in a way that you can't really do on the ship, but it's a bit late for that since you're leaving shortly. I also agree with taking a 4x4 or renting a car. We rented a car in Moorea, and had a great time. We've also done 4x4s on all three main islands, and had a blast. I liked the one on Moorea, and we got to climb up to a wonderful lookout overlooking one of the bays. But the Bora Bora 4x4 is probably still the best.

The ship's tours are all good, not too large, so don't bother with private, for the most part.

Have a great trip, you must be packing already. Tell us all about it when you come home!

August 4--is that as in, this week, 2007? If so we are on the same cruise. We are big hikers so have scheduled the jungle hike and the Treks of the Ancients hikes. Looking forward to the beach days too, plus 4x4 tour on Bora Bora. Hope to see you on board. We'll be the couple with the very tall 16 yr old boy.

Archived