embarkation time?

surfmanjoe

Jan 4, 08, Galaxy, south caribbean. 10:00pm departure,

I have to take flight from toronto to san juan, because it's first time to cruise, no idea on timing.

1) what it the latest time I have to arrive at San Juan airport?

2) How long time will clearing customs take in general?

3) how long time embarkation will take?

4) 5:00 am return to san juan, how long time disembarkation will take?

thanks.

Jan 4, 08, Galaxy, south caribbean. 10:00pm departure,

I have to take flight from toronto to san juan, because it's first time to cruise, no idea on timing.

1) what it the latest time I have to arrive at San Juan airport?

2) How long time will clearing customs take in general?

3) how long time embarkation will take?

4) 5:00 am return to san juan, how long time disembarkation will take?

thanks.

January? From Toronto? I would suggest flying in a day

early and relaxing the day before you cruise:)

I know the ship sails late but it is still the middle of

winter for you. I would definitely fly in on the 3rd.

I would second Lois' suggestion. January is an iffy time and you don't want to miss the ship. I always fly in at least one to two days early during winter. Also, the ship may dock at 5 am but I bet you don't start leaving the ship until after 8:00. Customs is usually unpredictable. I wouldn't leave from the airport until at least noon to be on the safe side.

Depending on airline, do you clear US customs in Toronto like I do when I fly into NY? If so, customs is not an issue once you take off. In any event, odds are a delay in customs for half an hour or so will not be the make or break point for making the ship. Toronto should be not any different than flying in from Chicago or other Midwest City. I have cruised from San Juan many times during January and February and issue is always weather related delays. If you don't or can't fly in a day early, take as early a flight as possible since you are probably connecting and, barring weather, should have no problem boarding by 5, certainly before sailing. If weather in Toronto is bad, probably bad in a some US cities so there is also the chance that the ship may be held for a few hours, which has happened on several of my cruises (never involving me, luckily for my nerves). And if you use cruise air fare they have to get you to the ship in any event no matter where it is.

The worst cruise I ever took (mostly because I felt rushed) was out on San Juan in January ( ok, late December). We flew with the cruiseline airline. They got us there at, like, 7:00pm, maybe even 8:00pm. We immediately went to dinner and sat with people that we never saw again. Rushed through dinner. Didn't get to experience the send off at the port at around 10/11:00pm.

From this day forward I will travel in the day before so I can relax with boarding and have a good start to my cruise. We feel like we missed the whole first day of our vacation!

Cheryl

Archived