Best Chance for an Upgrade? When?

I had booked on AOS for the 7 NT cruise out of San Juan for September and cancelled it a couple weeks ago. Then, it worked out that I could go on the cruise so I called back and they reinstated my original reservation (at the same price!! VERY NICE, since the price had gone up almost $300).

When the reservation got reinstated, the agent told me that I lost my original selected interior stateroom, so I was now unassigned but would not recieve less than a "Category M" which is what I originally booked. She also said that I have a very good chance to be upgraded now.

SO, the question is this: should I arrive to check in early? Or perhaps be one of the last to arrive? If I arrive early maybe I have the better chance to be upgraded because not everyone has arrived yet....or, should it be the opposite--arrive later and hope that everyone has already gotten their assigned rooms thereby leaving more rooms available for an upgrade?

Thoughts anyone??

Thanks!

a cruise ship doesn't work like a hotel.

If you are upgraded, it will have been done before you get to the port. You will either receive your assigned cabin in your docs or you will have to ask at the port before you check in. there is someone at the dock who has a manifest and they will tell you your cabin number so you can put it on your luggage tags.

Is there any point in asking at the port if there are any upgrades available? Does anyone have experience with them having a higher-grade cabin available? If so, did they just charge you the difference on your set-sail? Or is there no point to asking?

I realize that this is sort of a hotel mentality, but I'm just curious.

Is there any point in asking at the port if there are any upgrades available? Does anyone have experience with them having a higher-grade cabin available? If so, did they just charge you the difference on your set-sail? Or is there no point to asking?

I realize that this is sort of a hotel mentality, but I'm just curious.

There is someone there called the "pier coordinator". After you check in, ask where s/he is, then go ask if there are any upgrades available. They will tell you a price, IF there are any cabins. The price is always PER CABIN for an upgrade, NOT per passenger.

I've been upgraded twice, and here's why:

1) upgraded from balcony to JS, balcony room that I booked was one of the staterooms that would take 3 or 4, and there were only the two of us, so I believe they bumped us up to a JS to sell the balcony to 3 or more people.

2) upgraded from an inside to an aft balcony, some 100 people didn't plan far enough in advance last March and because of a snow storm in the Northeast (if I have to fly, I go a day early at least, even in July, never know about thunderstorms), never got to the ship. Because of a problem outside of my interior cabin, which I was very happy with BTW, that caused a lot of noise, they offered us an aft balcony room (that was empty because somebody never got to it), which we promptly accepted and thoroughly enjoyed.

So, FWIW, usually there seems to be a reason for an upgrade, at least in my experience. Hope you get the chance to enjoy some of the upgrade fairy joy.

Upgrades are usually to accomidate the ship bookings. Example if you arein a room with a 3rd or 4th bed an dthey need it they will upgrade you. If you have the guarantee they will give you equal or better room. What you don't want is the higest deck. That's the one below the pool deck. The late night folks stomping and then there is the crew clean and draggin chairs all while you are trying to sleep. In any event the decision on cabins is normally made before the day of sailing. Too crazy to try and move cabins on checkin. Onbaord in an emergency they may move someone but don't plan on it.

Archived