Souvvenirs in St. Petersburg

We will be in St Petes in June on a cruise and also have a private tour with Alla. We have been before and love St Petes and have arranged to go shopping this time. I have some Fedoskino lacquered boxes bought on the ship and hope to buy this time when ashore in St Petes so if anyone can help where is a good shop to buy quality boxes please let me know. I want painted boxes not tranfers so I know they will cost or I will buy again on the ship but would rather spend my money in St Petes. Also interested in wooden boxes made of Birchwood. Many thanks if anyone can help

Roley,

You indicated you have been to St. Petersburg and have purchased items there. I am interested in purchasing a Faberge egg and am wondering whether you have any suggestions/advice about such a purchase or where to buy it?

Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Budge

Hi Budge we have been before but went on ships tour so got taken to the shop of their choice. On the ship P&O they had an expert talking about eggs and boxes so we went to his talks and we bought from him on the ship (Im sure we paid more but we wanted quality) . I have been emailing someone who sells boxes but his shop is in Moscow near where the artists are and he was helping me to find good boxes. It is really difficult if you want to buy something of quality where to shop but we will check out the ship and then look in St Petes and then decide. I have a few sites where they sell good things.

www.souvenirboutique.com is one. we will go to department stores and perhaps one other and might get advice from our guide. Ive also checked out trip advisor as they have posts about this. Good luck

Hi Budge we have been before but went on ships tour so got taken to the shop of their choice. On the ship P&O they had an expert talking about eggs and boxes so we went to his talks and we bought from him on the ship (Im sure we paid more but we wanted quality) . I have been emailing someone who sells boxes but his shop is in Moscow near where the artists are and he was helping me to find good boxes. It is really difficult if you want to buy something of quality where to shop but we will check out the ship and then look in St Petes and then decide. I have a few sites where they sell good things.

www.souvenirboutique.com is one. we will go to department stores and perhaps one other and might get advice from our guide. Ive also checked out trip advisor as they have posts about this. Good luck

Try www.saint-petersburg.com go to shopping and there are some shops there that you can look at as well:)

I would like to bring my brother back a set of caviar spoons, are they widely available? They don't have to be from St. Petersburg if I can also find them in Tallinn where I would have more time to look.

Belle 907 If you are on a private tour Im sure your guide will take you to the shops that sell caviar spoons as this is what Russia is known for. Im sure Tallin will be cheaper though. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Belle 907 If you are on a private tour Im sure your guide will take you to the shops that sell caviar spoons as this is what Russia is known for. Im sure Tallin will be cheaper though. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for your response. We have a little shopping time built into the tour so I would think I could find them. I'll probably give Anastasia a head's up before we sail to let her know what I will be looking for.

Hello all,few words about trade centers.1. "МЕГА" ("MEGA" in english)There is a lot of small shops like "IKEA" and so on. There you can eat cheap and fast. Run here you can from metro station "Улица Дыбенко" ("ulitsa Dybenko") on free bus to MEGA... MEGA is far from center.2. You can visit "ОКЕЙ" ("OKEY").It's trade center. In this topic there was description of it.There is a lot of "ОКЕЙ" in STP. For example I recommend visit on "Электросила" ("Electrosila") metro station. When you up from station drive to the left 300 metrov and "ОКЕЙ" will be to the left.2nd "ОКЕЙ" with "Карусель" ("Karusel'") is on one place on "Московская" ("Moskovskaya") metro station. Drive to the Airport "Pulkovo" direction on each transport. You'll this big trade centers.3. "Карусель" ("Karusel'") See previous.4. "Лента" ("Lenta") & "Масштаб" ("Mashtab"). It's located in a few bus stops after "ОКЕЙ" with "Карусель" ("Karusel'") on Moskovskaya station. (I recommend visit.Cheap eat:1. In each trade centers you can eat cheap in place called "Ресторанный дворик" ("Restoranniy dvorik") it mean Restoran's yard.There is big choice.I recommend you to taste: "Чайная ложка" ("Chaynaya lozhka"), "Крошка картошка" ("Kroshka kartoshka")!!!!There you'll have big choice.

My wife and I will be taking a tour (from a cruise ship) with a St. P. tour company. She is interested in buying a Fabrege egg, spending between $500 to $800 US. Any suggestions? Where is the best place to buy them? How are we assured of decent quality? Can/do we bargain in most places (except, say, department stores)? I am guessing that our tour guide (Alla Tours) will only take us to stores that they have a business relationship with. Any tips to prevent us from getting taken? Thanks. Budge

Were you able to get any information on where to purchase a Fabrege egg in St. Petersburg? Is this a reasonable price range? Those that I have seen have been $2000+...We leave May 29, our shopping time is very limited, so any information would be helpful...Thanks, Maria

• 3 weeks later...

On private tours you will be taken to the market by the Church on the Spilled Blood on the last day. It is by far the BEST place to buy souvenirs, but you will be taken to several shops on the first day where I suspect the tour guide gets a kick back. They will also warn you that the market is frequented by pickpockets and generally try to scare you off from spending much time there. It was perfectly safe as long as you apply the same rules of caution as in any large public area. If I ever go back, I'm going there first and spending more time.

On private tours you will be taken to the market by the Church on the Spilled Blood on the last day. It is by far the BEST place to buy souvenirs, but you will be taken to several shops on the first day where I suspect the tour guide gets a kick back. They will also warn you that the market is frequented by pickpockets and generally try to scare you off from spending much time there. It was perfectly safe as long as you apply the same rules of caution as in any large public area. If I ever go back, I'm going there first and spending more time.

Thanks for the tip. It will come in very helpful. What sort of souvenirs were you able to buy at the market? Any idea what Nesting Eggs cost?

Thanks for the tip. It will come in very helpful. What sort of souvenirs were you able to buy at the market? Any idea what Nesting Eggs cost?

The Matruska dolls are more Americanised than Traditional ones I would not be surprised to see "made in china " on them. ;)

They have George Bush, Clinton etc....

Ask your tour guide to take you to the a place for REAL dolls

The Matruska dolls are more Americanised than Traditional ones I would not be surprised to see "made in china " on them. ;)

They have George Bush, Clinton etc....

Ask your tour guide to take you to the a place for REAL dolls

Thanks for that advice.

quote=Impala Thanks for the tip. It will come in very helpful. What sort of souvenirs were you able to buy at the market? Any idea what Nesting Eggs cost?

No, I'm sorry I don't know. I bought beautiful hand painted Christmas ornaments for myself and gifts for $1 each. They also have lacquer boxes in all price ranges - but be sure to study up on this prior to leaving if you are interested in buying some. There is a huge selection of nesting eggs - some are strange, but then there are lovely ones as well.

No, I'm sorry I don't know. I bought beautiful hand painted Christmas ornaments for myself and gifts for $1 each. They also have lacquer boxes in all price ranges - but be sure to study up on this prior to leaving if you are interested in buying some. There is a huge selection of nesting eggs - some are strange, but then there are lovely ones as well.

Why type of Christmas ornaments and gifts were you able to buy for $1.00 and what were they made out of. That's the type of gifts I need to look for so my daughter can bring back gifts for friends.

Check out the Hermitage Museum Online Shop - they have some lovely items and you can have them shipped to you without having to carry them home. I found a Faberge style egg pendant that I would like to buy. If I have time to visit the shop I'll know just what to look for. If not, I'll order it when I get home.

The ornaments were make of wood and my favorites were shaped like little churches with the onion domes and hand painted. I bought a set of six for under $5. Easy to pack and no worries about breakage.

The ornaments were make of wood and my favorites were shaped like little churches with the onion domes and hand painted. I bought a set of six for under $5. Easy to pack and no worries about breakage.

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I will be looking for.

quote=Impala Thanks for the tip. It will come in very helpful. What sort of souvenirs were you able to buy at the market? Any idea what Nesting Eggs cost?

Thanks for responding. Xmas Ornaments sound like a good thing to bring home. I'll have to get at least one set of nesting dolls.

That's perfect. Not heavy, not breakable and not expensive. Thanks

Can you get the Russian shawls in the market across from the Church of Spilled Blood??? What price range are we talking when you mention the lacquered boxes that are made from balsam wood?? I am looking for some ideas that won't bankrupt me......

Archived