NCL Does Away With Martini Clinics!!!!?????

rustybolts

I just heard from folks that just returned from the Dawn that they have DONE AWAY WITH MARTINI CLINICS!!!

I hope this is only on the Dawn and not fleet wide! If it is, I would be absolutely FLABBERGASTED. That was one of the most fun, social things to do on the ship.

You come in for a clinic and you leave with a dozen new friends!

I hear they now are touting the "Martini Club." But it's not the same thing. As far as I've heard, they don't even offer a discount or have any samplings. You just show up at the Martini bar and order off the menu. Big freakin' deal. You could do that any time.

Truth is that almost invariably, we would hang around after and order another martini after the sampling was done. More often than not, something new we tried during the clinic. I don't think we ever left from there without spending $50-60 bucks between the two of us. And we always tipped generously because the clinic operators always gave quite a performance and were very informative. We will be a lot less likely to show up if they don't have this on the Dawn. I would even go so far as to say that we may consider this when deciding what ship or line to cruise. If this is another "revenue enhancement" idea on the part of NCL management.......

WHAT COULD THEY BE THINKING???

Freestyle is about meeting all sorts of new people. This sort of thing really works against that and rubs my fur the wrong way. OK, I've vented. Now it's your turn. I hope NCL is listening!!!

Rusty and Zelda

Just got off the Spirit yesterday and they DID have the Martini Clinics, two of them were scheduled during our cruise.

The first one was mostly classic (vodka, gin, cosmo, etc.) and the second one was mostly fru-fru styles (chocolate, espresso, apple, etc). I'm a novice martini drinker and went to the first and had to miss the second because of a conflict. Fun, I would recommend them~we each got six 2-oz samples. They also had wine clinics, beer clinics and margarita clinics during our cruise. $15 plus auto-gratuity for each of them.:cool:

I sincerely hope not!!!

The end of June on the Pearl we tried to go to one early in the cruise, but it was too crowded and ended up at the Margarita clinic instead (4 drinks - DW & I split them).

We managed to make it to the Martini clinic on Thursday by getting there early and had so much fun (courtesy of Candelaria, our mixologist) that we went back on Friday for different drinks (again splitting them). Neither DW nor I had ever tried them before, but DW discovered Elize (a liquor used in one of the drinks) and ended up drinking it on the rocks.

This is one of the activities we are really looking forward to on our next trip on the Pearl.

Pete

I agree with the OP. This is the main event on an NCL cruise where we have met friends. Some I still stay in touch with.

Freestyle does make it a little harder to meet people and the MC always came through to meet a few new cruise friends.

I vote to keep them!!!

It is just as well that they dropped it. On our last cruise they held it the same time as the AA meetings. Decisions, decisions!

We missed the meeting again!

did you ask them to change the meeting time? Did you make the next one or did that interfer with the wine tasting?

Nita

I just returned from the Dawn 7/21/07 cruise and in my freestyle Dailies they have something called the Martini Club in the Star Bar some days 1 hour others 2 hours not sure if its the same thing I didnt attend:)

Hope this helps

I hear they now are touting the "Martini Club." But it's not the same thing. As far as I've heard, they don't even offer a discount or have any samplings. You just show up at the Martini bar and order off the menu. Big freakin' deal. You could do that any time.

Thanks for your thoughts on the cruise. I read them on another thread. As I mentioned above, there is a difference between Martini Clinic and the Martini Club.

It sounds like there are still some ships that are doing this. I think I'll email the ship and ask them if they are doing the clinic and if not, just exactly what the "Martini Club" is.....:confused:

Rusty

We just got off the Pearl 7/29. They offered a Martini Tasting pretty much every afternoon. For $15, we got 4 drinks - classic w/gin, cosmo, appletini, and chocolatetini. We shared, so it was a bargain, and we met some great people. When I catch my breath, will do a review.

Aloha, Logan

Our last cruise was the Pearl, too. Candelaria does such a fantastic job, doesn't she?! We filled out one of those forms to specially recognize her. I hope you did, too.

We were here loyal subjects as she held court every day in Bar Central.

I wanted to take her home with me, but my wife wouldn't let me!!! :eek: :rolleyes: .........

MrTractor<-------made some great new friends at that bar!!!........

Mrtractor, we didn't have Candelaria. We had 2 very nice gentlemen whose names now escape me. And yes, I was diligent in filling out those comment cards. Service throughout the ship was exceptional, and I wanted to give due credit.

Aloha, Logan

Somebody beat me to it and.......

....TOOK CANDY HOME WITH THEM!!!

MrTractor<-------should have grabber her when he had the chance........

Mrtractor, we didn't have Candelaria. We had 2 very nice gentlemen whose names now escape me. And yes, I was diligent in filling out those comment cards. Service throughout the ship was exceptional, and I wanted to give due credit.

Aloha, Logan

Please say it ain't so Joe. I think we loved the Martini Clinic but who can remember. Last time they kept bringing them and since the Captain was Designated Driver we felt it would have been rude to refuse more. I hope by the time we board the Spirit in January cooler head prevail and they restore the best deal on board.

......I kidnapped Candy right after our Pearl cruise! :eek: :eek: :eek: I have her downstairs in one of the guest rooms. I am still working on getting her green card, so I didn't want to tell anyone. But now that you've let the cat out of the bag, I just hope Barb doesn't find out! :o

When you come up in November, I'll have her green card all in order. I mean, that's what green cards are for, right? Bringing people to America to do.....

.......IMPORTANT ESSENTIAL WORK THAT CONTRIBUTES TO THE WELL BEING OF OUR NATION!!!! ..... :D .....

Glug, Glug, Glug......:rolleyes: .......

MrTractor<-------will keep her in practice until Newsman and ScubaNurse get here.........

A couple of years ago, my husband and I were on the Dawn. We attended a Martini Clinic and at that time made some great friends and ended up getting together on the last night of the cruise for some martiinis. I don't recall the bartender's name or the waitress's name, but they were phenomenal. I believe they were from Romania.

This is what I beleives brings people together. I hope it is not so either.

....CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!

I think it's a fun time and as someone previously posted......

.......THE CAPTAIN IS THE DD FOR THE NIGHT!!!

MrTractor<-------doesn't mind when someone else does the driving!!......:cool:........

Just off the Majesty, and there were two martini clinics -- one on the first sea day and one on either Friday or Saturday -- didn't attend either :eek: so I don't know what I missed...:rolleyes:

I was on the Majesty July 8 - 15. We also had two martini clinics. I went to the first one - it was great! Planned on going to the second one, but never made it :mad:

I was on the Majesty July 8 - 15. We also had two martini clinics. I went to the first one - it was great! Planned on going to the second one, but never made it :mad:

Martini clinics are great fun :) Can't see a better way to have fun at the price :) I wonder if the OP's friends accidentally overlooked it in their freestyle daily... :confused:

The Margarita tasting is also great fun and a good way to meet interesting people :)

Archived