Plus Sized ladies..

bostonlass

When I decided last-minute to wear a tux (six days before we sail), DW had a fit, telling me there was no way she would be able to find a gown to match the elegance of a tux on such short notice.

We hit the mall the next day, and after only about an hour she had found a fabulous evening gown at Burdines. I'm can't speak from my own experience, but DW says that they have a great selection of plus-sized gowns there, ranging from things for the younger set and for the more conservative, and the salesperson was extremely helpful. So much so that DW went back yesterday and picked out a few more. Burdines is part of the Macys family, so if you don't have a Burdines near you, perhaps Macys will have the same selction.

Try a search in Ebay for: Elisabeth, Tess, J Jill, Coldwater Creek, Talbot's, Lands End, Roaman, Blue Fish, Scallops, Eileen Fisher. All great designer's and can be gotten for a fraction of retail there.

I was just in Wal-mart, buying "The Passion" on dvd, and just went to look at the women's plus size clothes. BIG sale on clearance! I got those sleeveless tops (used to be called "shells") for $5, and trhe George brand slinky knit pants dof $9 and$13. They had skirts too. I spent a bunch, but got clothes I can wear all year, dress up or down and they are as comfy as pajamas! Hope this helps!

I hit the jackpot in Fashion Bug this past weekend. Got a capri set for $19.99, a long black gown (wicked comfy!!!) for $29.99 and a peasant shirt for I don't remember how much. All fit perfectly and all look very nice. They're having a huge sale in my area right now.:)

I hit the jackpot in Fashion Bug this past weekend. Got a capri set for $19.99, a long black gown (wicked comfy!!!) for $29.99 and a peasant shirt for I don't remember how much. All fit perfectly and all look very nice. They're having a huge sale in my area right now.:)

One other good source is Lord & Taylor. Go to the website and sign up for their coupons. They have a sale every Wednesday and coupons every other wed. You can get some fantastic deals there but only with the coupons. The sales people know me by name!!

Deborah

• 1 year later...

Dillards has a great women's department with formal wear in plus sizes, also casual wear. Their normal prices are higher, but they run frequent sales.

For casual, I order from Lands End. I LIVE in their scoop-neck sleeveless tshirts. Throw on a jacket, and I can look good for the office.

Moogy

My favorites are the Jones New York and Lauren by Ralph Lauren designers. Usually find them in the nicer departments stores such as Dillards, Nordstroms, Lord & Taylor and when they go on sale, watch out!

Hi Yesterday I went to Kohls and I found the most perfect bathing suit for my body shape and size. It is called Suit Yourself. The one I bought has a very pretty flowery print with tropical colors. Kohls also was having a half price off of all bathing suits and cover ups so I lucked out big time.

I also bought a beautiful cover up in aqua to go with the bathing suit.

If I were you I would check out Kohls they have very nice things for reasonable prices. Good Luck

Lady

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few brands that are just wonderful, and always fit just right.

Sigrid Olsen, Karen Kane, Susan Bristol--try checking ebay for some of these.

As far as stores, Dillards is great, as is Nordstrom, but nothing beats my favorite store in the whole world--Nordstrom Rack. If there is one in your area, GO!

They have things from "last season" from the Nordstrom stores marked down--it is unbelievable. The nearest one to us is a 2 hour drive, but we make the trip at least every 6 weeks or so, because they always have new stuff (reminds me of TJ Maxx, but with Nordstrom quality stuff).

Last time I was there in March, I bought a summer sundress w/ long sleeve sweater that so for $138 in the store--for $6.25. No joke--the price had been reduced to $24.99 for the clearance price, and then was another 75% off--a nice dress, too, I get compliments every time I wear it to work. Just an example, not everything is priced that great, but so worth checking out for us plus size gals.

Bostonlass You should try Catherines in Danvers on Endicott St. where Chuckie Cheese is. You may be able to fit in some of the small sizes. I use to shop there all the time, but I have been on a diet and have lost 58lbs so alot of there sizes are to large. If your are not to tall you could fit into there petitie sizes. You could also try New york and Co at North shore Mall. I order from Lane Bryants Catalog. I am only over the line from you in Lynn.

What a small world, FBrew, I grew up in Lynn.

Archived