The beginning of a horrible era.

DKMDE

One thing I noticed on this board is that there are people that are afriad to sit with other strangers. They ask for a table for 2, not because its romantic but because they don't want to be bothered. I think that the Freestyle method is great for un-sociable types.

Fred

Not really unsociable, I just really enjoyed dining with my SO, even after years of being together, we always have something to talk about.

I have had great and terrible table mates on traditional cruises, more good than bad, but being a gay couple, you just never know what you will be dealing with, so this was a good way to ease my SO into cruising.

MAC

Not that I would go as far to say ANTI_SOCIAL, but my DH works plenty, sometimes leaving before me & the kids get up, and home after the kids are asleep! We we are on vacation, we like to be able to talk to each other, be a family, and sometimes sitting with other people is just not what we want to do.:cool:

With that said, I am unsure about the freestyle seating :confused: (never been), but I do know I really enjoy having the same waiters all week. I guess I like having them know I already want tea to drink, no bread, shrip coctail for appitizer, ceaser salad, and the diet cake for dessert! LOL! I guess that part spoiled me!:eek:

It appears that the majority of people who do not like freestyle haven't really tried it themselves its always 'people they know' or friends of friends. Freestyle is attracting more people to cruising especially Europeans (as in people from Europe before I get flamed!) it is also attracting a newer younger market, who don't want to dress up, who do not care if they don't have the same waiter everynight, where it doesn't bother them that the waiter doesn't know their names when they sit down at the table or what they drink. There will always be those who love it or hate it and that goes for tradional dining as well. Everyone to their own choice and that is what it is about. Choose what you prefer and sail with those lines. In December we are doing 9 days NCL and then a 7 day Carnival

I came back from the NCL Jewel, never wanting to go back. I loved the ship, but I hated freestyle. I missed seeing the same people every night who knew all our preferences and, most of all, I hated running out of dinner to make the show.:mad:

Recently I heard HAL was switching to freestyle and RCCL could be next. I wanted to try royal, but if they change to freestyle, so much for that. I was very suprised that HAL switched because from my understanding, HAL is a very tradition-minded line with chimes inviting people to dinner.:confused:

Could Carnival be next? After all, it's its last division in N. America not on freestyle yet.:(

Yep, I hear RCI is trying out freestyle. I cant believe that they think the majority wants it. I dont like it, but have gotten stuck with it on Princess, thanks wait list, that means a lot of folks were waiting for traditional that didnt get it.

It appears that the majority of people who do not like freestyle haven't really tried it themselves its always 'people they know' or friends of friends. Freestyle is attracting more people to cruising especially Europeans (as in people from Europe before I get flamed!) it is also attracting a newer younger market, who don't want to dress up, who do not care if they don't have the same waiter everynight, where it doesn't bother them that the waiter doesn't know their names when they sit down at the table or what they drink. There will always be those who love it or hate it and that goes for tradional dining as well. Everyone to their own choice and that is what it is about. Choose what you prefer and sail with those lines. In December we are doing 9 days NCL and then a 7 day Carnival

Iv tried it and didnt like it. I think people know before they do it if its not for them. I knew I would prefer to sit with the same people every night. I dont have to try it to know that. But I have tried it twice.

As far as this having anything to do with dressing up. Guess what...?? The same rules apply in the non traditional dining rooms, formal night is still formal night etc.

PS this would be fine if this were about choice as you say. Its not about choice when you are forced onto a wait list and dont get your choice. I like Princess except for this NON choice.

We saw lots of couples with a table for two on Carnival... ?

We were at at table for two, and hated it. We have always been assigned at a large table and loved it. It was fun getting to know new people. We were so disappointed that we were alone, it won't happen again. I will demand to be assigned a new table if it happens again. Since I have prepaid my tips, I can do this, and they can't say anything.

Just got off the NCL Pearl in Alaska. We ate three nights in a specialty restaurant and the rest in the main dining room. We never had to wait for a table. It could be the Alaskan itinerary which had us eating later but then again everyone was out on tours. We enjoyed free style because we had three generations with us and a lot of different tours so to eat at the same time everyday would have been impossible. And because we had family it wasnt necessary to meet new people which we do enjoy when DH and I cruise by ourselves.

We do enjoy dressing on cruises and yes more people dressed casual but we contined to dress up every night even the 6 and 8 year old and they loved it. Made them feel grown up and they acted the part. It really doesnt bother me how people dress unless it is sweats and ragged jeans but there still remains somewhat of a dress code. To each his own.

Must also add the crew and service was great. And our accommodations were fantastic.

Who knows which cruise line we will take next time but we are flexible

Yep, I hear RCI is trying out freestyle. I cant believe that they think the majority wants it. I dont like it, but have gotten stuck with it on Princess, thanks wait list, that means a lot of folks were waiting for traditional that didnt get it.

RCI is trying this because folks such as myself keep asking for it. The fact that more and more cruise lines are now moving or testing should be an indication that more and more folks are requesting it.

Cruising continues to evolve/change. Cruise Lines are building more and more ships while becoming much larger. The cruise line execs know that they have to do something to attract more first time cruisers. Look at how the dress on board continues to relax and how the cruise lines continue to look the other way. If Freestyle/Anytime dining will bring in more new customers then that is what they will do.

I have cruised NCL and didn't particularly care for Freestyle Dining. Both cruises I travelled solo and at first, when I indicated I was by myself, I kept getting seated at a table for 2 and no one was seated with me. So I ended up always saying "one person and I don't mind being seated at a large table". I always got the feeling they couldn't believe I wanted to sit with others! And I always felt more like I was in a restaurant than a dining room, if that makes sense.

I like the idea of knowing where I'll be, so I don't have to wait to be seated. I like greeting my tablemates after a couple of days like friends instead of strangers. Yes it's fun meeting new people, but I don't want to have to do the "where are you from" small talk night after night.

On Princess, Holland America and the test on Royal Caribbean, open seating is an OPTION. Guests may still choose traditional dining, if they prefer. I expect (and hope) that as lines migrate toward offering open-seating, full-service dining, it will be optional. I prefer it, but would like to see guests who want traditional dining also accommodated.

I have cruised NCL and didn't particularly care for Freestyle Dining. Both cruises I travelled solo and at first, when I indicated I was by myself, I kept getting seated at a table for 2 and no one was seated with me. So I ended up always saying "one person and I don't mind being seated at a large table". I always got the feeling they couldn't believe I wanted to sit with others! And I always felt more like I was in a restaurant than a dining room, if that makes sense.

I like the idea of knowing where I'll be, so I don't have to wait to be seated. I like greeting my tablemates after a couple of days like friends instead of strangers. Yes it's fun meeting new people, but I don't want to have to do the "where are you from" small talk night after night.

I agree totally.

My DW and I are Hairstylists,we love people,we have an uncanny ability to talk to anyone, from what ever background, and are often the couple who seem to keep things rolling when with a group of people.

Having said that...We would LOVE to try Open Seating for ourselves. I think this may be due to the fact that we talk to 75 plus people a week, and it would be nice not to feel compelled to smile and politley tell someone; "Yes, we are from Florida,we are Hairstylists, and yes it's an exciting job, and no, I haven't a CLUE what to do with your bangs...":rolleyes:

I love my DW, and it would be nice to have a week "Off".

There are many reasons, for and against this topic, I thinks it's nice to be given a choice

I agree with you Cruisingator2.

Charles.

PS: We have ALLWAYS loved all of our tablemates, and Waiters.

My wife and I have cruised on both NCL and Carnival. We enjoy both....hey we're on a cruise! Freestyle has certain advantages, as does traditional dining. On NCL we enjoyed not having to move our activities around a dining time, it's just the opposite. We liked the option of a table for two when we didn't care for someone else's company. On the other hand, we never had the same waiter so we didn't get to develop the same type of relationship as we do on Carnival. We both have to dress up for work so when we're on vacation, we don't like to (that was nice on NCL). We found either way works fine for us, but freestyle is certainly not for everyone.

I feel exactly the same way. My hubby actually preferred the freestyle, but likes carnival better. I think there are advantages to both.

Why would you be running out to make the show? That is what freestyle is about, eating when you want. Did you choose your time to close to the show times. :)

Because of Set seating times, me and my family are used to eating at 8. However, the shows on the jewel were 7:30 and 9:30 and I cannot really eat in an hour and a half.

That would be an interesting option for Carnival - one dining room with open seating, one dining room with traditional dining times. Except for the Spirit Class ships, which I believe have only one dining room. Doh! I think there would be many kinks to work out and lots of unhappy passengers during that time, though. Carnival has dinner down to a science, and I doubt they want to mess with something that works so well.

Actually, the HAL ships only have one dining room as well and one will be set seating and one will be freestyle, so it can be possible.

My wife and I have cruised on both NCL and Carnival. We enjoy both....hey we're on a cruise! Freestyle has certain advantages, as does traditional dining. On NCL we enjoyed not having to move our activities around a dining time, it's just the opposite. We liked the option of a table for two when we didn't care for someone else's company. On the other hand, we never had the same waiter so we didn't get to develop the same type of relationship as we do on Carnival. .... We found either way works fine for us, but freestyle is certainly not for everyone.

I don't think I could have said it better myself. I cruised on the Jewel last December and enjoyed being able to choose when to eat based on what I wanted to do that day. We never had to wait to get into the dining room at all and at there most meals. We did try one of the specialty restaurants but not because we felt we needed to, we just wanted the experience and we were celebrating a birthday.

I agree to with the poster that said that on the CCL ships with 2 dining rooms, that freestyle and traditional can coexist.

NCL introduced Freestyle Cruising in 2000. Seven years later their even larger number of ships are busier than ever.

It doesn't matter if YOU or I like or do not like it. (By the way, I don't like it)This is not upscale cruising. It's not all about YOU or ME. It's about the MASS MARKET of Middle America.

If Freestyle Cruising is so incredibly bad - as many have posted here - would the American Public be so incredibly stupid to continue filling these ships?????

We really have to give our fellow cruisers a bit more credit for intelligence.

There must be something about Freestlye Cruising that appeals to a great many Americans. Otherwise NCL would not continue to be the 3rd largest cruise line company on Earth

Sorry, I can guarantee if Carnival isn't next, Celebrity will.

I doubt it. Celebrity will stay tradtional. If you have not sailed Celebrity, do not try to compare the two, :p You would have to sail both lines to see the class of Celebrity compared to Carnival...

Archived