GCT - basic questions

CPT Trips

We are booked on a great rivers cruise and have a few more questions. I understand that the drawers for storage are under the beds. On ocean cruises we have always stored our suitcases under the bed. Where can we store our suitcases on the river cruise?

We enjoy an in cabin drink before dinner. Similarly, we like to be able to keep a couple of cold sodas. Is ice readily available from the cabin steward?

I have two more questions to add to DH's post. On this Great Rivers Tour (on the Concerto), will they offer laundry service at some point? (I assume for a fee?) Also, will shampoo and hand lotion be provided by the cruiseline? This is our first river cruise (mine and CPT Trips), although we've been on several "ocean" cruises.

And another question- if we buy some beer or wine in Germany, can we bring it back onto the ship to enjoy onboard or even to take home?

Thanks for any help!

You can store your luggage under the seat/bed. Yes, there are drawers that are accessible during the day when the bed is put up in the wall and you just have the little bench seat. However when the bed is down, the drawers are partially under the bed.

Yes, there is shampoo and lotion.

Don't think there is laundry available. Not sure though.

There is nobody checking your packages when you come back on boat from shore, so don't see why you can't bring liquor or beer aboard.

Carole

Here are some pictures of the rooms from two different boats, the Dubussey and the Melody. The space under the seats are plenty big enough for storing luggage. In the first two pictures you can see where the drawers are near the end of the bench seat. The bed is folded up into the wall space behind the seat. At night when it's down, you can see it's longer than the seat and therefore hangs over the drawer openings. Not a big problem.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Carhut/CarolePics

re: Bringing wine on board. No problem is you drink it in your room, but you might encounter a corking fee if you bring it to lunch or dinner. Now as far as bringing it back home. Sorry but I don't think security will allow you to bring bottles on the airplane. And that's a shame. We brought back 4 bottles of real good white German wine back in 2001. But that was a different time. Willard.

Thanks again . . . ice will be good!

The liquid ban in air travel really interferes with my plan to buy duty free heading to Europe. The flight to Paris would work OK, but then we have to clear security for the Paris to Wien leg.

Hi Jersey Gem,

I have done two different river trips on the Concerto. Laundry service is available for a fee.

On the trip last year the maitre ' d was a delightful, very hard working young lady....I think her name was Katerina. She has an amazing memory and by day 2 knows all the passengers by name without a glance at the name tags . Hope she is still on the Concerto when you cruise.

Have fun planning.

L.L.

Thanks Lobsterlover! I don't mind paying for laundry service, since that will be much more convenient than washing DH's size XL shirts in the sink (which I'm assuming will be small). There's no way we can pack clothes for 16 days, allowing for layers due to warm days and cool evenings, in one suitcase each within the weight limit. (At least not for my DH's "larger than mine" sized clothes and shoes.) Everyone keeps telling me to save space by washing our socks each night- but socks aren't the issue (16 pairs of socks won't take up much space nor weigh much)! It's 16 knit "rugby style" shirts that won't fit into one suitcase, plus his spare walking shoes take up half the space.

Any other tips for the Concerto? This is our first river cruise- so we gladly welcome all hints and suggestions.

Thanks again!

I have traveled on GCT's Concerto, Symphony, Harmony, Ravel, and Debussy. You can bring wine, beer, liquor, soda aboard the ship. You can consume these beverages in your cabin or on the sun deck. I usually made a cocktail and went up to the sun deck to be with other passangers. As previousely mentioned laundry and an ice machine is available on all ships. Your suitcase does go under the bed and cannot be stored by ships personnel. Their has always been plenty of closet, shelve and drawer space. One of my favorite times each day was spend in the lounge the hour before dinner mingling with other passangers discussing our day.

Archived