PG scheduled for 10 day trip

Jancruz

Any feedback on if the 10-day trip feels like enough time in Tahiti after such a long flight? I'll be going from CT, my friend from IL. We're thinking of doing the 7 day back to back. Has anyone done this? Any pros or cons. Well, I can imagine the pros :) but is 14 days too much time just around those islands? I've been to the Caribbean many times and Hawaii twice which I loved. My friend has mostly traveled to Asia and she likes the exoctic stuff. Will Tahiti hold her interest for 14 days? We're definitely doing at least the 7 days but originally thought of staying at a hotel before and after. Staying on the ship seems a lot more appealing!

BamBamG,

FYI taken from a July 12th Radisson thread on the same subject:

We're booked on the PG for B2B next March, reasons:

a. Spending almost twenty hours in the air (from Atlanta) means staying

two weeks give us more time to relax, unwind, enjoy the cruise, the people & tahiti.

b. As Kathy Z, mentioned you will get twice the opportunity to get the excursions of your choice, or even repeat those you treasured.

c. Although I've read a con is once you get to know your cruise mates,

seven days later most of them leave and you have to start over--we consider

this a plus.

d. The Marquesas islands are (see RSSC 19 Nov 05) another option but

I've read this islands are not as scenic and as water friendly as the 7 Day

Cruise islands.

e. We considered a pre/post cruise stay but decided the cost, packing and

unpacking (versus staying in same room for 14 days) makes the B2B the best option.

f. As almost every other PG CC posters have written, once you

finsih your PG Cruise, you can't wait to do another to see those fabulous

islands again; by booking a B2B...you will.

Whatever option you choose, you will have a blast!

Although I would find it hard to be away from home for that long, I would definitely go to FP for 2 weeks or take the PG for 10 days. In fact -- I think a 10 day vacation is perfect! It is a long flight from the Midwest -- and I was exhausted when I got there. It took a couple of days to recuperate. Believe me, if I could afford it, I would certainly go for 2 weeks.

BamBamG, my husband and I did a back-to-back on the PG earlier this year and we were so glad we did. It made for a very relaxed trip and time never weighed heavy on our hands. We could have easily stayed aboard for another go-around. We will be on the Mariner for 7 days in November, because that is all the vacation time my husband has remaining for the year, but we really prefer cruises of 14 days or more. If you're going to pack your bags you might as well get as much milage out of it as possible.

The food and service on the PG are much better than ashore, in our experience. If you consider a pre- or post-cruise land stay, I suggest you take the pre-cruise option because you may disappointed if you do it the other way around.

We had such a wonderful time that we are considering doing something interesting about a year from now. We are thinking of taking the 10-day Navigator cruise from LA to Papeete on Nov 8 - Nov 18, then boarding the PG on the 19th for a 14-day cruise around the Marquesas. Either that or Sydney to Auckland and Auckland to LA on the Mariner for a total of 32 days. We loved the South Pacifc so much we really want to go back for a nice long relaxing time.

MarnaLou

We did a 7 day cruise on ther PG.

At the time we had thoughts about doing a B2B but thought it was not worth while even though it takes so long to get there.

If they would have had a 10 day cruise then I am sure we would have signed up for it.

We have had some thoughts about going back and this really puts a positive thought in our minds.

I have heard that this is exactly why they are changing their schedules on selected cruises.

03/22/80 MS Caribe

02/15/03 Paul Gauguin

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick)

11/12/04 Mariner "MINT" cruise

02/15/05 Diamond "ADRIFT" cruise

Thank you all for your responses. My friend is a professor and has the whole Spring semester off (well, technically not off, she's supposed to be doing research) and I can take pretty much whatever I want for vacation time so I think we're going to go for the back to back. The unpacking only once comment was the clincher! I really don't want to stay at a hotel at the front end and again after the trip when I can just get on and stay on the ship instead. And it's also a good point that if there's an excursion we really like, we can do it twice!

• 2 weeks later...

BamBamG,

We returned home less than 48 hours ago from our B2B on the PG followed by a post-cruise stay at the Manihi Pearl Resort. What a fantastic trip!

As Wes mentioned, there are many advantages to a B2B. We were able to get all of our liquor at the beginning. This was helpful because my husband likes Black Russians (Vodka & Kahlua) and I enjoy Ameretto. The Ameretto is considered premium so it counts as 2 bottles. We just requested all 3 at the beginning and after Reception checked with the Head of Housekeeping we got the OK. Not having to pack up along with everyone else on Friday night was such fun. On Saturday we were free to leave and reboard the ship at will. We got off around 9:30am after saying good-bye to many friends made during week #1. We walked to the market just 2-3 blocks away and shopped and took pictures. We were back on board by noon so as not to miss a free meal! Le Veranda is open Saturday between noon and 1:00pm. There were 4 crew members and the two of us eating lunch there. We had a head waiter, 3 waiters and a bartender to take care of us! As we began meeting new people coming aboard after 3:00pm we were able to answer most of their questions as well as many of the crew. The crew always makes you feel like a VIP, but this was even more so on our second week. At the welcome aboard party Saturday night the cruise director said "this couple liked the cruise so much they have stayed aboard for a second week" as he walked over to us. We were able to do excursions on week 2 that we had no time for on week 1. We rented a car 1 day on our second week in Moorea. We got to the Bora Bora Motu on day 2 of week 2 (the first week that was one of our few days with rain showers). The second week is wonderful just to be able to have another whole day at Motu Mahana on Tahaa! There's nothing like a picnic lunch on the beach in paradise with a tropical drink in a coconut, a coke and a bottle of water. (My limit on alcohol is 1 drink or 2 glasses of wine per meal.)

Yes, it is true that next summer they have substituted 2 ten day and 2 eleven day itineraries in place of 6 seven day trips. These begin June 11, 2005. You can get the details on http://www.rssc.com. If you have the time, you could do 17 or 18 days by combining on either side of this block or 21 days to do both of the new itineraries.

Archived