Lisbon Restaurant? Martita B. or anyone?

Suite Travels

The restaurant I love so is located in "The Albatroz Hotel" in Cascias~~a fishing village about 40 minute drive from Lisbon.

J.B. and I have visited the fabulous boutique hotel several times. It's well worth the trip~~if you go, at the reservation desk, please ask for "Luz". She's P.R. for the hotel and a very charming lady.

Cocktails overlooking the ocean is worth visiting the hotel.

Martita B.

I forgot to mention, for "al fresca" and people watching the ideal spot in Lisbon is the famous coffee house, Cafe a Brasileira. It's located on Rue Garrett. It's in the middle of the old downtown area and perfect to enjoy being with the locals and the tourists.~~"creme

pastries," divine!

Enjoy,

MB

I walked through the Albatroz Hotel after disembarking the Pride in May, but could not stay for lunch since we had reservations elsewhere. It is one of those uniquely charming hotels one can only find in small European towns, elegant yet not stuffy at all. I wish I had stayed for lunch and will try to make it our there before the November crossing.

Do make time for a glass of champagne or a cocktail before lunch at the Albatroz~~linger awhile on the outside terrace or in the comfortable "glass" lounge~~~~the snack potato chips are the best I've ever eaten! Might be prepared in the hotel kitchen.

We had luncheon overlooking the beach and ocean~~~it's a not-to-be missed experience. Luncheon and wines were delicious!

Enjoy!

Martita

For a leisure and fun morning don't miss the downtown Market in Funchal! Was built in 1930~~ It's called "the workers market" and is muli-leveled (I think 3 stories) The abundance of exotic flowers are breathtaking~~we always buy arm loads to take back to the ship for friends, Staff and for the Crew Mess Hall. We also purchase strange, exotic fruits~~the fish mongers are located in the basement~~~a sight to see, but "hold your nostrils together!"

Taking a Taxi is the best transportation. Afterwards, the Taxi driver will carefully place your flowers in his trunk. Upon arrival at the ship, call and ask the Ex. Housekeeper for a few extra vases~~

We buy lots of "Birds of Paradise" as these will keep beautiful for a month or so~~~ (another idea for a Stewardess "surprise.")

As Matt mentioned, "afternoons are enjoyed at Reid's Palace Hotel and their lavish teatime"~~I think Seabourn treats us!:p

Martita

Forgot to mention~~I usually buy 3 or 4 local brand small beers,

take them back to the ship along with all the flowers. I pour the beer out~~rinse the bottle, place 1 (cut the stem accordingly) "Bird of Paradise" in the small beer bottle (water added, of course) I tie

several colors of curly ribbons on the neck of the bottle~~Voila,

instant vase! Makes for a fun and festive, inexpensive type flower container.~~also the name of the Island is on the beer bottle. Men particularly enjoy the "exotic" flower look!

MB

Cotto22--the effervescent wine was probably my favorite Portuguese wine, Vinho Verde (green wine) made from young (green) grapes. It does not age or travel well so enjoy it in Portugal. It is indeed refreshing and absolutely perfect with fish!

Winnie

Another refreshing drink from Madeira is "Poncha"~~locally it';s called, "pescador"~~fisherman's drink. Made from lemons and honey. If interested, you might check out the liquor store on the Funchal pier~~the owner is very nice and prices are most reasonable. The heavy "plastic" container of Poncha makes it packable to bring home~~be sure to buy a handcrafted wooden "muddler" if you purchase the Poncha.

Winnie, I also have enjoyed the delicious Vinho Verde~~we've bought a few bottles several times to enjoy on the ship.

MB

I am a Silversea cruiser (tried Seabourn but prefer SS) and just happened to look at the posts here today.

Albatroz is a MUST every time we visit Lisbon - first discovered in 1986 and it is truly a gem.

If you could write a specification for a must see undiscovered jewel (although driving throuth Cascais last year along the coast back to Lisboa was astounded at the development and growth) it is the Albatroz.

Trust me -- you won't be disappointed --

From California

Cascias is about 45 minute drive from the Cruise Terminal and the Albatroz is a popular hotel for pre or post cruise guests. A car/driver would be ideal but the train also would be an adventure.

I'm sure the Albatroz would to happy to send a car also.

It's truly a "hidden gem"~~~expensive during high season, but fairly reasonable during other months of the year.

Reservations are already booked for JB and me after next year's Pride March crossing.

Martita

If you go to the Albatroz Hotel pre or post cruise, be sure and ask to speak with Luz Pinto-Basto, Public Relations Manager. Luz is a delight~~she was most helpful to us several years ago. Last Pride Crossing Miguel drove us over for lunch, but it was a Sunday and Luz was not in the hotel~~we had planned to invite her for lunch.

Happy Sailing:p

MB

Exciting new information as to a 5* Lisboa dining experience~~~

I just returned from a fun land vacation with some seasoned Sailor's and learned of the newly opened Sheraton Hotel in downtown Lisbon. It is very luxurious ~~5* The rooftop restaurant, they said, "is not to be missed. (Property compares to a Ritz or Four Seasons)

Thought I'd pass this on to all visiting Lisbon in the future.

MB

• 2 weeks later...

Funchal has a number of good beers, but Coral is the most popular. I prefer Imperial, which is a bit heavier, but it is a matter of taste. I keep Coral in the fridge to offer workmen (a Madeira custom) , and Imperial for me.

I would also recommend sampling the white ports, most of which are not available in the US. Chilled, they are an excellent apertif. There is a wine cellar in the main downtown area with excellent prices and unlimited tastings.

As far as activities on shore, hiring a taxi is the way to go. It's best to arrange ahead so you are ensured of a driver prepared to show you the island within your limited time frame. You can find recommendations at MadeiraIslands.com. You really need to get outside crowded Funchal in order to experience this beautiful and friendly island. I recommend a stop in Riberia Brava on the south shore which is a typical village not all that far from Funchal....and if you have time, lunch on the Riberia Brava waterfront. There is a typical Madeiran restaurant on the west end of the seafront where you can dine outside or in the small dining room. It was rebuilt as part of the renovation to the seafront and is quite pleasant. Not fancy, but that's where we eat two or three times a trip. Its Espetata do Porco can't be beat.

JoAnne B

Houston

Archived