Two-class System on Ships?

MandyGirl

Suite vs Non-Suite Social System?  

542 members have voted

1. 1. Suite vs Non-Suite Social System?

• Repeat history - "separate everything" based on cabin category
    • Keep cruises with MORE suite amenities (like two years ago)
    • Keep cruises more reasonably priced with FEWER suite amenities
    • I don't care - I'm just thankful to be healthy and on a cruise!!!

[quote name='Sinbad37'][b]Please tell me where a "Good ole County Boy" comes up with "aphorism"! [/b]
:D [b]I JUST LOVE IT WHEN I HAVE TO GO TO WEBSTER.!:D [/b][/QUOTE]

You just struck a blow against nostalgia :( You should have said "I just love it when I have to go to my Funk & Wagnalls!" :)

Now, punctuate the following:

say goodnight Dan

:rolleyes: -dave

[quote name='dakrewser']But my pithy little aphorism in no way implies any agreement with your rant about suites and suite passengers. Some people always choose to sail in suites, some always choose to cruise in inside cabins. Neither choice in any way implies the social standing, wealth or intellectual ability of the person so choosing.[/QUOTE]

Of course it does.
If you had such resources that the cost of any cruise was of complete indifference, would you actually choose to be in the smallest cabin available? I could see that regardless of wealth, someone may choose an inside cabin because of some aqversion to the sea, but chances are, they wouldn't cruise all that often. While not everyone who can afford it buys a 10,000 square foot house. Those that can afford that time of home probably don't live in a 4th floor walk-up 1 room efficiancy either.
For example JFK Jr.,while he was an Assistant District Attorney in New York, left his bi-weekly pay checks in their sealed envelopes in his desk drawer and uncashed for months at a time. That the $50K or so a year he earned right out of law school was so insignificant to him, that it was more of a hassle to just actually cash them.

[quote name='1stMate']Of course it does.
If you had such resources that the cost of any cruise was of complete indifference, would you actually choose to be in the smallest cabin available? [/QUOTE]

Sure. Some of the richest people I know are also the tighest with a penny. They claim that's how they got to be rich!

[quote name='dakrewser']Sure. Some of the richest people I know are also the tighest with a penny. They claim that's how they got to be rich![/QUOTE]
people that tight with a penny, don't cruise at all

Hi Linda,

And thank you for your post, and for your understanding. I meant no harm whatsoever - I'm actually a nice, kind and caring person and if we ever got to meet you might actually find me a lot of fun to be around.

It never fails to amaze me that someone can make what they think is an innocent remark and a whole bunch of people "jump" on them. If I have offended anyone then I apologize because I truly didn't mean any offense.

The reference to "suiteys" was because I had seen it written in another post as "sweeties" and I thought that it was kind of cute - mea culpa, mea culpa.

I actually do have an awful lot of money in the bank and could easily afford a suite myself. However, I have an awful lot of money in the bank thanks to my beloved late husband's forethought in taking out a rather large life insurance policy. I have way more money than I ever thought I would have and could easily afford a suite (can you imagine a "singleton" rattling around alone in a stateroom that large?) but I'm perfectly happy in my cozy stateroom on one of the lower decks. Believe me, I would be so happy to give up all that money, and everything else, just to have my husband back.

Once again, if I've offended anyone, Sorry - I honestly didn't mean to, I was only expressing an opinion.

I still maintain though that, even though I may finally agree to get dressed up for Formal Night, my "high heels" aren't going to be quited so high any more.:D

If passengers can afford and wish to have a larger cabin or suite, they can have all the perks they wish IN THEIR PRIVATE LIVING SPACE, but in the PUBLIC areas of the ship, we should all have the same rights.

For instance as in all towns , mine has big houses, and little houses, houses with swimming pools and two luxury cars and houses with just a quarter acre of "yard" and one small car. Now when you go to the Mall, or any other public area do you want those in big houses to have special parking areas just for them? Should they be able to go in to the licensing dept and be seen ahead of the Joe Smith from the other side of the tracks even though he was there first? That is the way some ships seem to be heading.

My rights to the public amenities of a ship are as important to me as those of Mr and Mrs Big Spender.

[quote name='Stevesan']I'm not so sure that the original question is as cost sensitive as it may initially appear.
In the first place, those who are truly "class" conscious would never sail on a mass market line. They'd either charter a yacht or, at the lower end, book with Seaborn or equivalent where lesser classes don't exist.
:)[/QUOTE]

Last year on one of the Vista ships, a Mr & Mrs 'X' and their young infant were in one of the penthouses. The Nanny was living next door in an A grade de Lux !!!!!! As for the rest of the family... well, they occuppied 50, that right, FIFTY, S grade suites... all paid for by Mr 'X'. First night out the family had the complete use of the Pinnacle Grill. Well, that saved him at least $1,000!!!!:)

Stephen

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']Last year on one of the Vista ships, a Mr & Mrs 'X' and their young infant were in one of the penthouses. The Nanny was living next door in an A grade de Lux !!!!!! As for the rest of the family... well, they occuppied 50, that right, FIFTY, S grade suites... all paid for by Mr 'X'. First night out the family had the complete use of the Pinnacle Grill. Well, that saved him at least $1,000!!!!:)

Stephen[/QUOTE]

[font=Georgia][size=3][color=blue][i]...& I'm sure Nanny was allowed in the Neptune![/i][/color][/size][/font]
;)

[quote name='PRINSENDAM']Last year on one of the Vista ships, a Mr & Mrs 'X' and their young infant were in one of the penthouses. The Nanny was living next door in an A grade de Lux !!!!!! As for the rest of the family... well, they occuppied 50, that right, FIFTY, S grade suites... all paid for by Mr 'X'. First night out the family had the complete use of the Pinnacle Grill. Well, that saved him at least $1,000!!!!:)

Stephen[/QUOTE]

:D [b][font=Comic Sans MS]Think Mr/Mrs. "X" got a Group Discount? Bet they had a one hour free cocktail party! ;) [/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS][/font][/b]

Just curious ...on the Ryndam what cabin categories count as suites?? Saw while I was researching our upcoming cruise on the Ryndam that some sites refer to A and B's along with S's as suites with pricing etc ! Now I am confused ..only cruised once before on HAL (the Noordam last March) and we had an outside cabin on the same deck as the Crows and it was an oversized very nice cabin two back from forward (believe it was 02) .....although I have cruised over 20 times I am very much a novice with HAL ..and eager to learn all about the unique and enjoyable aspects of cruising HAL :) ..I really enjoy reading this board and learning from all of you seasoned HAL cruisers :) thanks

Susan/John
Clearwater

On HAL ships, the PS and S categories get the important perks. But I don't think anyone is really suffering on the cruise in the other categories. The food and entertainment is the same for all, with the possible exception of the snacks and specialty coffees in the Neptune Lounge, which is open to PS and S pax.

And except for the Penthouse suites the other so-called suites are not true suites with separate sleeping and living spaces.

DH and I are sailing on the 8/5 Statendam with our DS (9) and DD (13). We chose an "S" category because I could not imagine the four of us being crammed into anything smaller! Kids are not old enough to go in their own stateroom, and getting connecting rooms seemed difficult. The price difference between 4 in an "S" and 2 and 2 in the next class down was just not that much, so we went with the "S" and will get the perks, too! Breakfast down the hall in the Neptune will also be much easier with kids. We tend to vacation in places that the flights from Houston are not too expensive. We hate to waste our frequent flier miles on two hour flights that cost $250, so don't use them up regularly. We charge everything and get tons of miles that way, too, in addition to my husband's work travel. As a result, all four of us are flying to and fro first class. It seems that every situation is different. I just hope my kids don't think this is how it always works . . .

I guess I don't understand why this discussion of suites brings up such resentment sometimes, between people who don't stay in suites and people who do. It's just a matter of paying extra for extra space and a few perks, that's all. Unless of course, you've experienced someone thinking it means something about them as a person if they happen to have more square feet in their cabin (interesting way to measure one's self esteem, I'd say!) I booked an "S" suite on an Alaska cruise coming up in August because, for the first time in my life, I had a little "extra" money (if there is ever such a thing, really) and thought it would be a fantastic experience. If I cruise again, I doubt I'd get that big a cabin for myself a second time. Actually when I booked, the other Verandah cabins were sold out. I don't consider myself better than anyone, and don't think a person traveling in an inside cabin is anything but cost-conscious and..well...smart! :) And, yes, I think it's nice that, if I'm paying extra for a suite, HAL gives us some nice perks, including, from what I hear, priority tendering or boarding, etc. For those who don't want to pay that extra amount, and don't much care about the "suite perks"....okay! You can probably go on more cruises, and that's smart too.

To each their own, no matter where it lands you I guess; I think the answer is, just to think about what will suit you and plan accordingly, allowing that others just have different needs.

Jane :)

MS Amsterdam to Alaska 8/7/05

[quote name='SantaAna,CA']I guess I don't understand why this discussion of suites brings up such resentment sometimes, between people who don't stay in suites and people who do. It's just a matter of paying extra for extra space and a few perks, that's all. Unless of course, you've experienced someone thinking it means something about them as a person if they happen to have more square feet in their cabin (interesting way to measure one's self esteem, I'd say!) I booked an "S" suite on an Alaska cruise coming up in August because, for the first time in my life, I had a little "extra" money (if there is ever such a thing, really) and thought it would be a fantastic experience. If I cruise again, I doubt I'd get that big a cabin for myself a second time. Actually when I booked, the other Verandah cabins were sold out. I don't consider myself better than anyone, and don't think a person traveling in an inside cabin is anything but cost-conscious and..well...smart! :) And, yes, I think it's nice that, if I'm paying extra for a suite, HAL gives us some nice perks, including, from what I hear, priority tendering or boarding, etc. For those who don't want to pay that extra amount, and don't much care about the "suite perks"....okay! You can probably go on more cruises, and that's smart too.

To each their own, no matter where it lands you I guess; I think the answer is, just to think about what will suit you and plan accordingly, allowing that others just have different needs.

Jane :)

MS Amsterdam to Alaska 8/7/05[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jane,

In my last post on this thread I expressed these same thoughts. I was also baffled by people who seemed so concerned about where other people were sleeping onboard and what amenities they were paying for. I expressed my belief that everyone had their priorities and individual sense as to what made a cruise enjoyable for them as well as the right to spend their money as they saw fit.

I'm glad that HAL offers me the options I prefer at a price I am willing to pay. I enjoy the people I meet on a HAL ship. My enjoyment of their company has nothing at all to do with where they sleep while onboard. It does have everything to do with who they are.

Linda

[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]There's definitely a "shoulda" "woulda" phenomenon in place as well. When pricing for a cruise, many are out for "lowest available" hoping for that [i]perceived[/i] upgrade that they sometimes are "promised" by taking a guarantee stateroom, etc.[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Shopping for lowest rate available versus shopping for value may create disappointment on board.[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]As ships fill up these days and those "guarantee" staterooms are assigned into the actual categeory that was paid (go figure), disappointment comes forth.[/color][/font]
[font=Book Antiqua][color=blue]Then once on board, those who have suite tastes but were shopping for "lead in pricing" walk by the "S" suites, for example, and say to each other "well la dee dah - who made THEM king?". The fact of the matter is that those "S" suite rates were not necessarily that out of range in price by booking far in advance than those rates available at last minute (which are not always 'last minute deals' these days).[/color][/font]

[quote name='Jimsgirl']If passengers can afford and wish to have a larger cabin or suite, they can have all the perks they wish IN THEIR PRIVATE LIVING SPACE, but in the PUBLIC areas of the ship, we should all have the same rights.

For instance as in all towns , mine has big houses, and little houses, houses with swimming pools and two luxury cars and houses with just a quarter acre of "yard" and one small car. Now when you go to the Mall, or any other public area do you want those in big houses to have special parking areas just for them? Should they be able to go in to the licensing dept and be seen ahead of the Joe Smith from the other side of the tracks even though he was there first? That is the way some ships seem to be heading.

My rights to the public amenities of a ship are as important to me as those of Mr and Mrs Big Spender.[/QUOTE]

You are naive if you think that all customers (of any business) are, or should be, treated the same whether it be in private or public spaces.

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Frequent patrons (big spenders) at their local restaurant get priority for reservations, immediate seating, prime tables, best servers etc[/font][/b]

[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Frequent guests at hotels get upgrades and extra 'included' amenities.[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Frequent Fliers get upgrades (often given at check in without having to use their miles) ........[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Even Neiman Marcus gives bonus points for spending.....[/font][/b]
[b][font=Comic Sans MS]Spend more; get more. It's the way it goes with many things in our society and I'm not sure it is wrong (but I'm not quite sure it is right either :) ).[/font][/b]

Archived