Immediate Change in TSA Carry-On Requirements

BurBunny

Effective at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 4, the TSA will require travelers to remove the following items from their carry-on bags and submit them for separate screening: video games, video cameras, DVD players and CD players. They will now be treated like laptop computers. You'll have to remove them from your carry-on and run them separately through the X-ray machines.

Note, this is not supposed to mean all electronics, but I'd expect some screeners to take this a step further while they're all getting to understand the rules, especially since the early notices to the screeners said all electronics. For the next few days, you may want to minimize the amount of electronics you carry onto the plane.

You MAY still carry these items - you'll just need to separate them out from the rest of your carry ons when you go through security.

TSA website did not have any obvious update regarding this, but I did find the following in a news search:

"The focus is on large electronic equipment," not portable DVD players, cell phones or MP3 players, said Jennifer Peppin, the Transportation Security Administration's spokeswoman in Seattle.

Affected are consoles for Xbox and PlayStation video games, large video cameras and large living-room style DVD players, she said. "Obviously these types of devices can resemble components that could be used in explosives."

TSA website did not have any obvious update regarding this, but I did find the following in a news search:

"The focus is on large electronic equipment," not portable DVD players, cell phones or MP3 players, said Jennifer Peppin, the Transportation Security Administration's spokeswoman in Seattle.

Affected are consoles for Xbox and PlayStation video games, large video cameras and large living-room style DVD players, she said. "Obviously these types of devices can resemble components that could be used in explosives."

My info came from an emergency bulletin put out by Joe Brancatelli, noted travel columnist, who has independently verified from several sources. Evidently, it's not yet hit the broad release, and some airlines were just getting notified in the last couple hours. Wanted to get the info out as quickly as possible for those traveling in the next couple days so they could allow more time at the airport - going to be a mess for a few days.

Oh, okay. I can see how a large DVD player or an XBOX can look like an explosive device. A really complex one I suppose, sure. That makes sense.

At least they're not focusing on blocks of cheese or ice packs this week. Thank you for your never-ending vigilance, TSA!

Also, it looks like starting tomorrow August 4, normal lighters will no longer be banned from carry on luggage. See the change here: http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/travelers/sop/index.shtm

Now if we could bring our own bottles of water through security, I would be much happier. It doesn't make sense that you can buy bottles of water @ $2 or $3 after security and board the plane with them but not allowed to bring your own. To me, it's just a money maker for the stores at the airport. I guess its another way for it to look like they are doing something for our sense of security. :( But not really!

Now if we could bring our own bottles of water through security, I would be much happier. It doesn't make sense that you can buy bottles of water @ $2 or $3 after security and board the plane with them but not allowed to bring your own. To me, it's just a money maker for the stores at the airport. I guess its another way for it to look like they are doing something for our sense of security. :( But not really!

I totally agree on the bottled water issue. I really miss my frozen water. I always put one in the freezer the night before and carried it onboard the plane, especially for long flights. It melted along the way and I had cold water throughout the entire flight. I don't mind buying the bottles of water after going through security, but they don't stay cold long. :(

I totally agree on the bottled water issue. I really miss my frozen water. I always put one in the freezer the night before and carried it onboard the plane, especially for long flights. It melted along the way and I had cold water throughout the entire flight. I don't mind buying the bottles of water after going through security, but they don't stay cold long. :(

LOL, Toto, I do the same. I like to drink lots of water on planes as per suggestions for flying. I don't drink soda so water is best and I would never drink the tap water offered in hospitality. They only offer bottled water in executive and we can't always first class all the time. ( at least on my airline of choice)

The lighters probably get tossed. Other confiscated stuff such as knives, scissors, etc. are sold in bulk on eBay.

I could not figure out for the life of me why all the American guests were going crazy asking for matches the first day they got to our hotel.

I had to stock extra matches and finally asked someone the question. They told me about the confiscation and then I upped the par stock of matches.

Looks like now I can go back to normal;.

Pray tell, who is going to "carry on" a home size dvd player????

If you use common sense and profile(uh oh, nasty word), most people carrying electronics are those leaving the US to go back to their country of origin, not a tourist going to soak up the sun somewhere.

I know it is for a good reason, but I cannot resist thinking that the next alert will tell everyone they must use "Kleen out" before they fly:eek:

There used to be a display at Atlanta's airport of confiscated carryon items. The best one had to be a full size gas chain saw with gas can !

We were in line at the SWA counter right behind a man who was trying to check a chain saw! This was 6 months after 9/11. His wife did not check luggage and was already down at the gate. When he couldn't check it, he wanted to leave it in the Nashville airport while he was gone Security made him take it out of the airport. :eek:

Effective at 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 4, the TSA will require travelers to remove the following items from their carry-on bags and submit them for separate screening: video games, video cameras, DVD players and CD players. They will now be treated like laptop computers. You'll have to remove them from your carry-on and run them separately through the X-ray machines.

My experience has been that they were already making you pull video cameras out. At least, that's what the signs in DTW said a couple weeks ago.

Course, the cynic in me thinks the reason they make you pull all this electronics stuff out is to give you a chance to pull enough stuff out that you might forget something and leave it behind.

We flew from Pittsburgh to New York today. We arrived at the airport before 6 a.m. and the security lines were out the door. New regulations went into effect today and the TSA agents were really unprepared for them. They now test "suspicious" liquids in your one quart zip-lock bag. DH's contact lens cleaning solution tested positive for explosives! They would not simply take the bottle and let us board - we had to wait until two police officers came over and questioned us. They finally read the label and saw that one of the ingredients is hydrogen peroxide. That can be used to make explosives, so it is not allowed in carry-on luggage. I guess we didn't look like terrorists, so they finally just took the bottle and let us board. Not a fun experience!:( :( :(

God forbid anything should happen, but when something does happen because it wasn't really "water" in that bottle brought from home, or that block of chedder cheese was really C4 plastic explosive, or the harmless chemicals in your carry-on were mixed to create an explosive device - I can just hear everyone screaming - why weren't you looking for that???

The alerts will come and go - frankly it is inconvenient - but I'm damn glad there are doing whatever they can to keep us safe, silly as some of it may seem to some of us.

I travel extensively for a living and often for pleasure. Trust me when I say that I have seen just about every possible variation of TSA prohibition and unallowed items and local agent interpretations. With this in mind I do not mind this inconvenience or delay. Some of you who make light of this procedure will be the first to second guess the TSA if some tragic event occurrs. I personally feel safer for their efforts.

I know someone who worked TSA at Los Angeles for a long time. The stories he would tell about everything that people would try to bring on board a plane were unbelievable. One guy didn't think he should have to give up his rocket launcher.:eek:

eileen

Amber,

Wow! I haven't seen a post from you in a while and they were mostly on Celebrity. It's good to hear from you. We are going international and have to carry insulin. It needs to be kept cold. Any suggestions? I have lots of gel packs that the mail order drug company sends and TSA says that they are OK as long as you declare and have ID that is required for the RX. It is a long flight from PIT to Prague and I want to have another expert tell me the best way to go. I hope that you read this, I respect your advice. Thanks.

Amber,

Wow! I haven't seen a post from you in a while and they were mostly on Celebrity. It's good to hear from you. We are going international and have to carry insulin. It needs to be kept cold. Any suggestions? I have lots of gel packs that the mail order drug company sends and TSA says that they are OK as long as you declare and have ID that is required for the RX. It is a long flight from PIT to Prague and I want to have another expert tell me the best way to go. I hope that you read this, I respect your advice. Thanks.

Hi Alice! Good to hear from you. I know - I've not been around any of the boards much. Just too busy! I really miss the Princess boards, though - you were my "home" for so long.

Regarding your insulin, those freezable gel bags are a good option. Be sure to carry the prescription from your doctor. In addition, consider using an insulated bag to keep the gel bags cold longer. If you need a smallish one which should be a good size for you, send me an email - my name @ cruiseresource dot com will get it to me. I'll send you over one I have extra here which really keeps things cold well.

Finally, I've had clients have good results when flying internationally asking if they can keep their packs with the flight attendants on the international leg. Some have been told there was no room, but generally it's not an issue and helps to give you enough time to get from the plane to the ship once you land.

Thanks Amber, good to know. Appreciate you popping in to pass along the news.

BTW-Hope you are doing well and busy as a 'bunny'. ;)

Is the OP in the business now? If so how would we reach the bunny?

God forbid anything should happen, but when something does happen because it wasn't really "water" in that bottle brought from home, or that block of chedder cheese was really C4 plastic explosive, or the harmless chemicals in your carry-on were mixed to create an explosive device - I can just hear everyone screaming - why weren't you looking for that???

The alerts will come and go - frankly it is inconvenient - but I'm damn glad there are doing whatever they can to keep us safe, silly as some of it may seem to some of us.

I'd have no problems taking a sip or two from my half frozen bottled water as I go through security. :)

Archived