Post Cruise Hotel Newark/Port Liberty

djmc2002

Hi folks,

Cruising on the Explorer of the Seas on 9 Sept 2007 and am looking for advise on where to stay one day after so as to be able to go to New York and take a whirlwind tour of the highlights before we travel home.

Where have you stayed? Did it offer transportation to/from the pier airport and trains etc. We are flying into and out of Newark.

Also any don't miss thing in New York we can see with about a day and a half of time.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I will also be on the Sept 9 th cruise. I am from NJ and the top NY spots for me r a broadway show, ground zero, times square, central park. Ur best bet may to take a bus tour during the day so u can see the "hot spots"..also try to see a show and if possible try to do a ferry / dinner cruise so u can see the statue of liberty.

As for hotels i do not know as i alwasy travel back home bc we r so close.

:)

The only one with pier transportation is the best western by EWR and I would skip it......I usually stay at either the Courtyard or Residence Inn Newark/Elizabeth on Glimcher Realty way....

others stay in Jersey City.....quick to get into the city....

From the above hotels, you can go to the airport and hop on NJ transit to Penn Station.........

Cab fare from the pier to the airport area is about $40 or so.........

megr1125 - what is the problem with the Best Western? I read a lot of reviews from several websites and they are mixed - some say the place was fine for pre-cruise and others say stay away. Major complaint was that the place was hard to find.

megr1125 - what is the problem with the Best Western? I read a lot of reviews from several websites and they are mixed - some say the place was fine for pre-cruise and others say stay away. Major complaint was that the place was hard to find.

1-i like the little crawling thing in your signature! heehee

2-it is hard to get into and out of, there is nothing around and it was just not so nice......apparently it has been redone so that may help...BUT the reviews on TA are generally not good.....i just got a bad vibe from the place when i checked it out.....guess that isn't much help.....but there are better places..

i just stay off route 1 & 9 if possible because if you aren't familiar with the area (assuming you are driving) you can really get screwed up....i'm from jersey-i'm used to the traffic, but i swear, it would be easier driving in the daytona 500!

megr1125 - We have a group of 12 and thought the cruise/park option at Best Western was a good thing. We wanted to avoid the 4 hour drive the day of the cruise.

It's hard to figure out what is good and bad just from looking at the hotel websites. And with the reviews being mixed I wasn't sure what to expect. I have spent the last couple weekends trying to find a hotel (not sure how I became the hotel locator) and I thought we had narrowed it down. Now I guess I will have to keep looking.

To the original poster, I recommend staying in Jersey City, since NYC will be only a ferry or PATH train away. The ferry from JC goes to either World Financial Center, Wall Street or Midtown Manhattan. What day of the week will you be staying there? The ferries don't run on the weekend from Jersey City, but you could always take the PATH train in this case. You will be near the Status of Liberty and Liberty State Park as well. Newark and Elizabeth are out of the way and Jersey City is nicer for a traveler. Plus you will enjoy great views of NYC.

Hi folks,

Cruising on the Explorer of the Seas on 9 Sept 2007 and am looking for advise on where to stay one day after so as to be able to go to New York and take a whirlwind tour of the highlights before we travel home.

Where have you stayed? Did it offer transportation to/from the pier airport and trains etc. We are flying into and out of Newark.

Also any don't miss thing in New York we can see with about a day and a half of time.

Thanks!

I would stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton. PATH is DIRECTLY next door. Transportation to and from EWR. There are a couple of small restaurants in the Gateway Center which is right at the Hilton.

Jersey City has some views to die for looking over the river into Manhattan. And PATH is next door to the Jersey City Hyatt. HOWEVER, you will have to pay for a taxi to and from the airport-between $45-50 each way.

I am in the process of planning a cruise from Port Cape Liberty with 2 teen (17 y.o) nieces next summer. I have read many websites regarding how one may safely drive to the area the day before, stay somewhere and then the day of the cruise drive to Bayonne, NJ none of which sound like good options. I find it hard to believe that after almost 3 years using this port that there are not too many safe family options if one ends up driving.

The reviews one reads if considering driving don't sound good to me with the responsibility of two kids. I have read reviews that discuss the Best Western and hearing gunshots in the distance, don't leave your car anywhere in that area b/c there is no security so many had cars broken into when they returned. Also, as one points out that the 3 college kids killed were from Newark vicinity. While I am sure some is exaggerated, I still don't want to take any chances. I also thought about flying and staying in NY, then I read, many cabs won't go into Jersey so you'd have to take a train to Newark Penn Station, etc.

So, my question now becomes, if I choose to still insist on driving (and at this point that may not be an option) is there an area a half hour to an hour south of exit 14 off the NJ turnpike that would be safe and not have the apparent problems that Newark and it's vicinity would present. I used to live close to DC and I am very aware of the problems that come with the city and safety but I never drove there either b/c with Metro there is no need.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am in the process of planning a cruise from Port Cape Liberty with 2 teen (17 y.o) nieces next summer. I have read many websites regarding how one may safely drive to the area the day before, stay somewhere and then the day of the cruise drive to Bayonne, NJ none of which sound like good options. I find it hard to believe that after almost 3 years using this port that there are not too many safe family options if one ends up driving.

The reviews one reads if considering driving don't sound good to me with the responsibility of two kids. I have read reviews that discuss the Best Western and hearing gunshots in the distance, don't leave your car anywhere in that area b/c there is no security so many had cars broken into when they returned. Also, as one points out that the 3 college kids killed were from Newark vicinity. While I am sure some is exaggerated, I still don't want to take any chances. I also thought about flying and staying in NY, then I read, many cabs won't go into Jersey so you'd have to take a train to Newark Penn Station, etc.

So, my question now becomes, if I choose to still insist on driving (and at this point that may not be an option) is there an area a half hour to an hour south of exit 14 off the NJ turnpike that would be safe and not have the apparent problems that Newark and it's vicinity would present. I used to live close to DC and I am very aware of the problems that come with the city and safety but I never drove there either b/c with Metro there is no need.

You may want to try the Hilton Garden Inn(and soon to be opened,Hamton Suites on South ave. on Staten Island.The area is safe and you are 10 minutes to the cruise port.The hotels are 5 minutes from the Goethals bridge. and 5 minutes to the Bayonne bridge.

You may want to try the Hilton Garden Inn(and soon to be opened,Hamton Suites on South ave. on Staten Island.The area is safe and you are 10 minutes to the cruise port.The hotels are 5 minutes from the Goethals bridge. and 5 minutes to the Bayonne bridge.

Thanks. I will definitely look into this. I also just found out that sometimes if there is enough interest/bookings from northern VA that Royal Caribbean sometimes sponsors a bus that one could pick up from a specific area that you could leave your car and they did luggage drop and everything at the pier and that all you needed to do was take your one carryon with you. That actually sounds great. However, apparently whether that gets offered or not isn't known until it gets much closer.

There are plenty of safe locations. I disagree. As I always say, stay in Jersey City, if you find Newark to be unsafe. BTW, the Newark Hotels are not really in the heart of Newark, where safety might be an issue. Let me know if you have any questions about specific places to stay.

Can someone tell me how far Fairfield and Elizabeth are from the port? And approximate driving times from each of them to the port.

Fairfield is about 40 minutes. Elizabeth about 20-25. Both of course dependent on traffic. I probably wouldn't stay in either for the purposes of going to the port. Is there a reason you are looking at those locations?

Can someone tell me how far Fairfield and Elizabeth are from the port? And approximate driving times from each of them to the port.

Skip Fairfield..it isn't that far but traffic blows and you will make yourself nuts..Elizabeth is right next to Newark...10-15 minutes....30-45 for fairfield.

If youstay in the airport area, you are not in the worst part of Newark......look, it isn't THAT bad.......just keep your wits about you...look a month or so ago, I was in New Orleans specifically cause that city needs tourists......I was in a very nice hotel on Canal Street...heard gunshots at 2 AM....

melsdt - I saw a hotel in Fairfield that looked pretty nice. I've been checking hotels to see what's available about 1/2 hour away from the port.

Couple options for you...why not call a couple places since you probably need a few rooms and see if they will make you a deal......

the problem with Jersey City is most places have limited, pay parking...

Yikes....I tried answering this but I think it went POOF....so let me try again....if the other one shows up, sorry.......

You could try the Edison area (exit 9 ro 10 off the NJ TPK)

I have stayed here.....easy to get to, close to a big mall too

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewred-courtyard-edison-woodbridge/

mall....

http://www.woodbridgecenter.com/html/index14.asp

The hotel is in a quiet area (but it is close to Rte 287 and the Turnpike..ask for a room on the front!--not too noisy though) the area is residential/corporate/small town....actually, the NY Times is printed down the road....

there are lots of places to eat, and lots near the mall (area around the mall can be a little trafficy)

There is another marriott-brand-a Fairfiled Inn & Suites in Woodbridge/Avenel-skip that one...lousy traffic and not the best area.......

You can email me if you'd like......just put cruise critic in the subject.....

If youstay in the airport area, you are not in the worst part of Newark......look, it isn't THAT bad.......just keep your wits about you...look a month or so ago, I was in New Orleans specifically cause that city needs tourists......I was in a very nice hotel on Canal Street...heard gunshots at 2 AM....

We all just moved from the burbs of Washington DC so I understand about safe vs. non safe areas of the city. While I always feel it is prudent to be very careful of your surroundings, with the added responsibility of two kids that are not mine (my two teen nieces) I want to be extra cautious. I many times travel with my sister in law but in that case we are both adults and each responsible for ourselves.

Maybe an option would be to fly and stay at a motel airport and then just take a cab to the pier in the morning. I think I read it would be about $35 to $40. Is that about right?

Yikes....I tried answering this but I think it went POOF....so let me try again....if the other one shows up, sorry.......

You could try the Edison area (exit 9 ro 10 off the NJ TPK)

I have stayed here.....easy to get to, close to a big mall too

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ewred-courtyard-edison-woodbridge/

mall....

http://www.woodbridgecenter.com/html/index14.asp

Thanks, I love the ideas everyone is giving. I have printed out all these posts and keep them for when the time gets closer to cruise (summer 2008). I just found it funny that on multiple websites every time someone discusses Cape Liberty port all the news sounds so unsafe, depresssing, etc. Many sound like you would be taking your life into your own hands the way you read some of the posts. Up until about 3 years ago I lived outside Washington DC and worked in it so I understand that one just has to be very aware of your surroundings. Unfortunately I also understand the concept of traffic also!

The airport area is fine......I prefer being off exit 13A-there are 4 hotels near the Jersey Gardens mall.....just easier to get into and out of I think.....plus that is an outlet mall....those hotels (the 1st 3 of which I have stayed in ) are: Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Country Inn & Suites and Extended stay America....All should be listed as Newark/Elziabeth on Glimcher Realty Way....

Also, there is an Ikea 1-2 blocks away, and a Ruby Tuesday adjacent.....I have left my car there several times....officially, they are not responsible, but they usually don't give me any trouble....

The nice thing about the residence inn is the rooms are suites...and they have kitchens (not all have ovens though) so you have a bit more space....and you get free breakfast.

There are lots of other hotels but they are hard to get into and out of...but since you are from DC you are used to crazy driving!

Just as a side note, since your nieces are under 18, you need a notarized letter from their parents saying you can take them out of the country, etc and seek medical treatment if necessary.....you probably know that already though....

Archived