Post Cruise Hotel Newark/Port Liberty

djmc2002

The airport area is fine......I prefer being off exit 13A-there are 4 hotels near the Jersey Gardens mall.....just easier to get into and out of I think.....plus that is an outlet mall....those hotels (the 1st 3 of which I have stayed in ) are: Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, Country Inn & Suites and Extended stay America....All should be listed as Newark/Elziabeth on Glimcher Realty Way....

Also, there is an Ikea 1-2 blocks away, and a Ruby Tuesday adjacent.....I have left my car there several times....officially, they are not responsible, but they usually don't give me any trouble....

The nice thing about the residence inn is the rooms are suites...and they have kitchens (not all have ovens though) so you have a bit more space....and you get free breakfast.

There are lots of other hotels but they are hard to get into and out of...but since you are from DC you are used to crazy driving!

Just as a side note, since your nieces are under 18, you need a notarized letter from their parents saying you can take them out of the country, etc and seek medical treatment if necessary.....you probably know that already though....

Yep, used to crazy driving on 395 to/from DC for 25 years. As for notarized statements I already informed both sister and brother that I needed something from them and their spouses regarding them not being my children. Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...
Is anyone familiar with this hotel? If so, what is your opinion of the area? It's so hard to tell about a place from just a website.

Radisson Hotel Carteret

30 Minue Street , Carteret NJ 07008

in a word...maybe-although it gets some good reviews on trip advisor...

maybe it isn't bad.....it is a new hotel.....hmmm....it looks like it is right off the NJ Turnpike...

i wouldn't venture too far away from the hotel........maybe carteret is getting a little better...it wasn't all that great in the past.

megr1125 - I've been in contact with the hotel and they told me they have secured parking to leave our vehicle there while we're cruising. What type of area is the hotel in - industrial, commercial, etc? There is also a Holiday Inn located right in the same area and I'm waiting for information back from them.

Thank you for all your help.

the radisson........i am thinking commercial/lite indistrial

i have no idea if the link will work....your hotel is B....

i don't know when that shot was taken but it appears to be before the hotel was built! so it must be new...the BIG ROAD MESS to the right would be the NJ Tpke....it's probably OK..you are only 1-2 exits from the a/p and 4? from the pier....

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&ttype=&q=hotels&near=carteret,+nj&ie=UTF8&t=k&*****=0&ll=40.590069,-74.23978&spn=0.003381,0.009978&z=17

hth.......guess you are volunteered to take one for the team... :)

• 4 months later...

Hi, this is my first post, I was researching parking options in Bayonne for a family member and I came across this thread. First things first, I have never cruised, but this was because I was a former world class snorer! I had this fixed about 6 months ago, so my wife and I can now consider a cruise for our vacation.

I travel to the North Jersey area often for business and have stayed at several of the Newark Airport hotels and wanted to add my two cents to this discussion. Overall, Newark gets a bad rap, but with the exception of the Hilton (on top of Penn Station), the Comfort Inn, and the Robert Treat Hotel, the hotels in the Newark/Elizabeth area are all adjacent to the Airport. I have never heard a gunshot nor had my car broken into in 12 years staying in this area, nor have I ever felt unsafe, with one exception: I had stayed at the Comfort Inn on McCarter Highway through Hotwire and argued unsuccessfully that this property was outside of the Hotwire zone. Its in a scary part of town, but I made it unscathed.

The Radisson in Carteret is a new hotel right off exit 12 of the turnpike, I have never stayed here. The property borders the NJ Turnpike and is adjacent to an industrial park, so there is absolutely nothing within walking distance of this hotel. Across the 12 lanes of the Turnpike is the Holiday Inn, an older property. If you stay in Carteret, you really need a car and I can't even think of any restaurants or shopping nearby within a short drive.

I generally agree that the hotels adjacent to the Jersey Gardens Mall are a good location, the Ruby Tuesdays serves passable fare and last minute items can be had at the Mall. Just make sure that you keep personal effects, especially GPS devices, out of view when your car is parked. I have stayed at the Country Inn and Courtyard, both are fine. While at the Extended Stay (which has no desk clerk from 11p-7a) several cars were broken into. For those adventurous souls, there is a great little take out called Portugal Barbecue that has one of the best grilled (over hardwood coals) chicken sandwiches with fries or beans and rice for about $6.50, its a short drive into Elizabeth. They also have a half chicken and rib combo for $12 that will easily feed 2 for dinner.

Portugal Barbecue

207 Clark Place

Elizabeth, NJ 07206

(908) 289-6554

Several "EWR Hotel" threads on this board dismiss the hotels to the North of the Airport. These might include the Fairfield Inn, Spring Hill Suites, and Courtyard; all three are adjacent to each other. These hotels are actually closer to the Bayonne Cruise terminal than the "Glimcher Realty Way" properties. We just stayed at the Spring Hill suites over the weekend, burned off some Rewards points and took the PATH train (from Harrison) into NYC and went skating at Wolman Rink in Central Park. When exiting the hotel, stay in the right lane and just beyond the Courtyard is an exit ramp that takes you back behind the hotel and onto the NJ Turnpike. Its about a 20 minute drive. Dining options are limited though to delivery or you can call the Spanish Tavern located in Newark's Ironbound section and they will send over a van for free Monday-Friday. This is a white tablecloth restaurant, waiters are in jackets, but really good food and reasonable prices.

Finally, for folks who want to visit NYC without spending $400 for a room in Manhattan, I second the Jersey City Hyatt recommendation. Its a great hotel with a beautiful view of Manhattan, and its steps from the PATH Exchange Place station. The hotel is also a block from the Hudson-Bergen Light rail line that will take you to Bayonne in 16 minutes. I may not want to schlep baggage from the 34th street Light Rail station to the end of the pier, but don't we all have wheels on our luggage?

I travel to the North Jersey area often for business and have stayed at several of the Newark Airport hotels and wanted to add my two cents to this discussion. Overall, Newark gets a bad rap, but with the exception of the Hilton (on top of Penn Station), the Comfort Inn, and the Robert Treat Hotel, the hotels in the Newark/Elizabeth area are all adjacent to the Airport. I have never heard a gunshot nor had my car broken into in 12 years staying in this area, nor have I ever felt unsafe, with one exception: I had stayed at the Comfort Inn on McCarter Highway through Hotwire and argued unsuccessfully that this property was outside of the Hotwire zone. Its in a scary part of town, but I made it unscathed.

Several "EWR Hotel" threads on this board dismiss the hotels to the North of the Airport. These might include the Fairfield Inn, Spring Hill Suites, and Courtyard; all three are adjacent to each other. These hotels are actually closer to the Bayonne Cruise terminal than the "Glimcher Realty Way" properties.?

Excellent post dahammer! I do want to point out that even though you personally haven't had a bad experience in this area doesn't mean that others will not. I was robbed at gunpoint at the Newark Best Western. The crime rate in the Newark/Elizabeth area is some of the highest in the nation.

Excellent post dahammer! I do want to point out that even though you personally haven't had a bad experience in this area doesn't mean that others will not. I was robbed at gunpoint at the Newark Best Western. The crime rate in the Newark/Elizabeth area is some of the highest in the nation.

WOW BH, now I see your point! I could not begin to imagine having a gun pointed at me....thanks for your post.

Archived