Icy Straight Point info needed

auntdot

We will be on Infinity at Icy Straight Point on August 31 and have not booked anything specific at this point. There is a Whale and Marine Mammals trip on the ship's excursion list and my questions are 1) has anyone done this tour? 2) did you see whales in this area? (write up says whale sightings not guaranteed) and 3) is there an alternative local excursion provider that we could investigate!

As I look more closely I realize that maybe Juneau is the best place for whale sightings, but we have booked a Glacier trip there that we really want to do.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We will be on Infinity at Icy Straight Point on August 31 and have not booked anything specific at this point. There is a Whale and Marine Mammals trip on the ship's excursion list and my questions are 1) has anyone done this tour? 2) did you see whales in this area? (write up says whale sightings not guaranteed) and 3) is there an alternative local excursion provider that we could investigate!

As I look more closely I realize that maybe Juneau is the best place for whale sightings, but we have booked a Glacier trip there that we really want to do.

Everything I have read is that ISP is better for whale watching than Juneau. And in ISP ALL the whale watch vendors (FISHES, Teckk and Tok) get great reviews here. In Juneau there are very mixed feelings about one of the whale watch vendors - just see the thread on the first page.

Of course whale sightings are never guaranteed but if you do whale watching and are going to ISP, do it there. I am going with Teckk when I am there the same week you are (Aug 28).

John

We were there two weeks ago and toured independently with Teckk Outfitters. Keith is the owner and was our guide. A wonderful day, He was born and lived all his life in Hoonah. He was a wealth of information - had I known how much information he had to offer I would have taken a notebook! No way will we remember all he had to tell us. His 10-passenger van was very clean. There were only four of us on this tour. We saw beautiful country on back roads that were not nearly as rough as I expected. We saw 3 bears, hundreds of salmon in a stream just beginning their run and more in the water at the mouth of the stream jumping. Keith arranged for us to have lunch at The Office (wonderful crab)after the tour and also someone to take us back to the pier. I believe he also guides fishing trips and maybe whalewatching.

Others on our cruise did a whale watch and they saw quite a few - not sure who they went with. You can inquire by e-mail to Teckk@hoonah.net I e-mailed to and talked with Keith's wife, Edna. She was very helpful and answered promptly. If you don't get an immediate answer, be patient. Hoonah is a remote community and computers are sometimes down.

When we returned to the pier, we walked down the beach (to the left as you face land from the water) where the new zipline ends. It was fun to watch the "zippers" come down the lines. Cost to buy a ticket there at the booth was $85. Looked too scary for me! We'd love to return to ISP/Hoonah.

Hope this helps, and have a wonderful cruise.

Auntdot,

We were in ISP right at a month ago today...We started off with the zip line and then the Brown Bear Search (both highly recommended). My wife went on a whale watching trip in Juneau and from the chatter we heard from guests on the tender back from ISP, the whale watching was better there, ISP that is. I know that my wife didnt see any Orcas in Juneau and we overheard several of the guest talking about seeing several pods of Orcas, and humpbacks as well.

Hope that helps.

We did the ISP whale & marine mammal excursion on July 4th ... saw more than on our Juneau whale watching excursion ... in ISP we saw humpbacks and Orcas ... in Juneau, just humpbacks.

Spent two days in ISP in last two weeks. Did bear viewing trip with Keith of Tecck Outfitters and whalewatching with F.I.S.H.E.S. twice. No bears sited on our tour but saw great country, bear tracks, salmon, close eagle, and Keith's secret fishing hole.

As for whales, can't beat our tours with Floyd. He had no one else booked on our day and we had the whole boat. Best whalewatching we have ever had with at least 5 or 6 bubble feeding events, 7 0r 8 breechings, more tail slapping than I have ever seen, flippering and whales coming right up to the boat. And that was just the first week. In second, we saw lots of whales up close but less action from them in terms of behaviors. No orcas. Thank you Floyd and Marjorie for great tours.

The cruise whalewatch boat was near us a couple of times but only does 2.5hr tour so they have less time. There were two or three boats from nearby towns plus a couple of small rentals and kayaks.

Didn't hear too many reports from those who took the bear tour with the ship, but understand they had only seen 18 down at the platform all year. There are plenty of salmon in the streams but the water is so high and fast the bears aren't in them yet.

Both Keith and Floyd have lots of days booked but others are still open, so call and check or miss out on great tours.

Thanks for the great info, johnq. Do you have contact info (email/website) for FISHES - I tried googling - but couldn't seem to find Flloyd! ISP websites aren't easy to find it seems!

Thanks

Icy Strait Point-Hoonah, Alaska

Whale watching and wildlife tours, join Captain Floyd aboard his 35 foot, high-speed, catarmaran landing craft for an adventure of a lifetime.

Cruise the North shore of Chicagof Island in search of brown bear, bald eagles, Sitka blacktail deer and other wildlife on our way to Point Adolphus or other feeding areas of the humpback whale, harbor seal, Stellar sealion, Dall porppoise and many different species of sea birds. Orca are sometimes sighted as they pass through Icy Strait on their continuous hunt for prey. A hydrophone allows us to listen to the orca and humpbacks socialize.

The "Silver Spoon" is equipped with all the conveniences of home in miniature (heater, restroom, etc.).

Whale-Watching/Wildlife Tours

Tour Duration: 3 hours / 2 Trips Daily

Rate Information:

$150 plus city sales tax* per person, 4 person minimum. We can work with you to find others to share your charter. We are licensed to carry no more than six passengers.

A 20% deposit is required to secure reservations. If an emergency arises or your cruise ship cancels, we will refund your deposit. Balance due on day of your tour.

Checks or cash only, we do not accept credit cards.

* note: 5% Sales Tax

Trip Information:

First Tour: pick-up is scheduled for one hour after your cruise ship arrives at Icy Strait Point.

Second Tour: scheduled in accordance with the cruise ship's schedule.

You may consider bringing a snack or lunch. We provide soft drinks.

Once you debark the lightering boat, go up the gangway, turn right, walk through the parking lot, past the buses and out the security gate. We will be just outside the security gate waiting for you in a metallic gray Ford Windstar. (There will only be two or three other vehicles so we will be easy to find.) We depart from the Hoonah boat harbor, which is a five minute drive from Icy Strait Point.

Contact Information:

F.I.S.H.E.S.

Floyd and Marjorie Peterson

P.O. Box 245

Hoonah, Alaska 99829 Telephone: (907) 945-3327

email: fishes@hoonah.net

Many of our guests have found referrals to our business on cruisecritic.com.

Photo Credit: Orca photo taken by Garry Mallory (a F.I.S.H.E.S client).

Just got back from Icy Strait. I went on the whale and wildlife tour. We saw 7-9 whales at Pt. Adolphus. We watched them for about an hour. Our tour was to be for 2 1/1 hours but it ended up being almost 3 1/2 hours! Had a great captain who moved the boat around whenever the whales moved and great narrrators. Also saw porpoises, seals, salmon jumping out of the water, birds. A great tour. I think at this time of year you will see whales and more.

anutdot, we'll be in ISP a week after your visit (9/7 with Infinity). I guess I won't be able to read your review regarding your whale watching experience because I fly to Vancouver on 8/31 (is the air fare ever expensive!). Maybe you can leave me a note at the pier. ;)

With so many good reviews about whale watching in ISP, I should try to make the arrangement soon. We haven't booked any excursion because my mom is too excited about everything to make up her mind. With 12 hours in Juneau, we gotta figure out what to do there.

anutdot, we'll be in ISP a week after your visit (9/7 with Infinity). I guess I won't be able to read your review regarding your whale watching experience because I fly to Vancouver on 8/31 (is the air fare ever expensive!). Maybe you can leave me a note at the pier. ;)

With so many good reviews about whale watching in ISP, I should try to make the arrangement soon. We haven't booked any excursion because my mom is too excited about everything to make up her mind. With 12 hours in Juneau, we gotta figure out what to do there.

Achman,

We booked the Mendenhall Glacier helicopter landing with www.temscoair.com and have booked the whale watch with http://www.visithoonah.com/fishes/. Did both by phone.

If you were staying in the same cabin as we are vacating, I could leave my reviews on the desk!!!! :D

Have a great cruise!

Auntdot

To answer your question, "What is a "zipper?" This is just a name we attached to the peope we saw coming down the zipline at Icy Strait Point when we were in port for the day while cruising on Dawn Princess.

Bucky

Just got back and went fishing at Icy Strait with Teckk. They were great, caught a good number of pinks, one silver, and several Halibut. Got the fish from Fed EX today. Teckk did a great job, and it was fun dealing with the locals.

• 4 months later...
Dream Fish, I apologize for an off-topic thread post, but I tried sending you an email via the address listed on your web site and it bounced. Can you please let me know what your current email address is?

Thanks!

Sorry about that, they've just re-done our email on our website, I was wondering if it was working right. Try this one: Packbyrd@aol.com

Archived