Oceania Selling Techniques

cruise 429

We tried to book a 35 Day cruise on the Oceania Cruise line within an hour of them opening up the 2009 itinerary on 1st Aug only to find that the best cabins (all Owner and Vista Suites) had already been been sold. Looks like they pre-sell them to a travel consortium. Has anyone else experieced this with this cruise line. I ask because this is the 2nd time it has has happening to me. We are booked on their March trans-atlantic cruise, but having 2nd thoughts if this is how they treat their clients. The Cruise company does not respond to this same question I directly asked them twice so any help will be appeciated. Thanks !

I think everyone gets treated fairly. There are few OS and VS on the ship and since those are the most popular, they go first. You know about the early bird..... Seriously, they do sell fast. Can you get a waitlist? That might be a good way to go. I'm not sure about this, but maybe you can reserve a stateroom with a w/l for one of the others. Does anyone know?

From Seatrade newsletter:

" Oceania sets booking record

3/8/2007

Oceania Cruises reports a new record for reservations was set on Aug. 1 as the line’s 2008–09 winter program went on sale. The company took more than 400 new bookings in the first hours after reservations lines opened at 8 a.m. At the close of business Oceania had bested its previous reservations record by almost 30% and some departures were 50% sold.

Oceania president Bob Binder attributed the demand to the fact that the company has limited availability for the upcoming winter season so travel agents and past customers have been eagerly awaiting the new schedule.

The line’s 2008-09 winter collection includes 24 voyages to Asia, Australia, the Caribbean and South America. The season focuses on destination-rich itineraries, overnights in port and a wider choice of longer sailings, up to 35 days. "

When there are only 10 OS/VS staterooms per ship, it is understandable why they sell out within the first hour.

I can't wait for their new ship to do the 35 day itinerary, as it will have more and larger cabins . But O has to hear from us about this wish.

My wife and I booked a 28 day 2009 Asian Cruise, Bangkok to Beijing, the day they were released and were unable to get either a Vista or Owners Suite and were barely able to get a Penthouse. We were told we got the last Penthouse Suite.

Anyway, the Penthouse Suite is just fine. We sailed on the 35-day Hong Kong to Athens, in a Penthouse Suite, this spring -- it was the best vacation of our lives. One of our cruisemates, Jack, wrote a blog about the trip on this website. Search for Nautica Impressions HKG to ATH.

I met a couple on that cruise that had an Owner's Suite and they had booked it independently - but very quickly - lurking for the announcement.

I believe the reason we never got the suite is because of the fantastic cruise experience Oceania offers and the limited number of staterooms. Oceania only has three ships and a limited number of premium suites.

We're excited about our upcoming cruises with Oceania.

Hi,

I see I am not the only one who didn't get a PS or VS for the 35 day 2009 Nautica sailing. My long time travel agent on the west coast had been told the booking office would open at 8am est, I think that is 5am pst. She called at 8am est and all VS and OS were already booked!!!! She then put a deposit for the VS waitlist for us. If I am to believe Oceania reservations we are #1 on the waiting list! for one of the 6 suites. But, I read somewhere on this board that someone else was told they were #1 also and found out later on the ship that others claimed to be #1 on the WL too... soooo ...guess we will hope for the best.

I know my TA called early because she called me soon after 7cst and told me the bad news. I called Oceania at maybe 9cst, just because, the agent said all OS and VS were gone! I questioned him about that since it was only 2 hours into the booking opening and with what had happened to my TA. I asked if the suites weren't being held by top TA sellers or maybe had been offer earlier to them? He said NO, also that to hold a suite the TA had to put the deposit with a Name for the cabin. Guess an TA could pay the deposit and use a fake name just to have a suite to sell to a good customer....after all it is nearly 19 months out!

For that lenght of time my husband really likes two rooms as our sleeping patterns are so different. We have been cruising for 25 years now on many cruise lines, in many cabin levels-inside to suite, front, middle and back ot the ship, including most of the mass marked lines and the upper end SilverSeas. Our favorite cabins are a two room suite at the back or front of the ship. We don't care that much for Silver Seas, has to be a good price for a great itinerary, but do like the single seating for dinner and the ship size, but the experience doesn't fit us as well (or something). Loved the Cunard's old Vistafjord and Princess's old Royal Princess!! My favorite line all around for food, service and itineraries up until our March cruise was Princess- 16 cruises, but things on Princess have changed so much over the years and not for the better, including the size of the ships. We really like smaller ships, so we have desided to find a new favorite.

Our plan is to do a 3-4 month around the world trip, but not all on a ship. Hong Kong to the Med is perfect for the cruise part. We have had a booking on Seabourn for a cruise much like the 35 day Nautica for some time now, but it islonger, 54 days. I wonder if that might be just a bit to long. The longest cruise so far is 22 days, loved that. We have done touring vacations lasting up to 2 months in Europe and love those too. After reading Jack's report this cruise sounds perfect. Obviously others think so too!

We did put a deposit on a Penthouse Suite, couldn't even get our choice on that one either. However, we know we have a cabin. I just need to be sure we can have in room dinning from the restuarant for breakfast and dinner and that my husband can use his computer on line in the cabin. Seems like I read that those options were available at the Penthouse level.

Most impotantly I can now plan the rest of the trip (just have to work two versions time wise for the two ships). I know we will go with Nautica if we do get the VS suite before we have to put money down on the rest of the trip, and probably will if the extras in the Penthouse are same as the VS. If not, I am not sure at this point which we will go with. One of my issues with Princess and other "mass market" lines is the mess they make on the ship with the art auctions!!!! Unfortunely, Oceania has those too.

Seems like we have a lot of money out in deposits, but having to wait 2 years to do the Antarctica cruise out of Ushuaia we wanted because they were already booked out almost a year in advance, and then still couldn't get a suite two years out-already booked, I know if you are picky and want to do a certain cruise or have a certain cabin, you have to put money down way ahead.

It is just an opinion, but one of the problems is the deposit for Oceania's big suites is so low. It encourages people to hold a suite till final payment time just in case. Princess's around the world is more, at least it was for the 2008 cruise and Seabourn is 1/4 the cost of a cruise! People might not be in such a rush to book if they had to put more down.

Oh well, I hope it all works out for us. Oceania sounds great, I would like to try her.

Oceania really books early. We tried to book two category G (lowest inside possible) for a March 2009 Asia cruise and were told only one was available. We had to book the second in Cat F which also had limited availability.

Soon we will have to book 3 years in advance.

Can't we all shut up and stop encouraging new people to book on Oceania?

Let's try and keep a secret!!!!!

Oceania really books early. We tried to book two category G (lowest inside possible) for a March 2009 Asia cruise and were told only one was available. We had to book the second in Cat F which also had limited availability.

Soon we will have to book 3 years in advance.

Can't we all shut up and stop encouraging new people to book on Oceania?

Let's try and keep a secret!!!!!

To late. Oceania is obviously a fabulous cruise line which we look forward to experiencing one day. Be proud of such a wonderful product!!

From Seatrade newsletter:

" Oceania sets booking record

3/8/2007

Oceania Cruises reports a new record for reservations was set on Aug. 1 as the line’s 2008–09 winter program went on sale. The company took more than 400 new bookings in the first hours after reservations lines opened at 8 a.m. At the close of business Oceania had bested its previous reservations record by almost 30% and some departures were 50% sold.

Oceania president Bob Binder attributed the demand to the fact that the company has limited availability for the upcoming winter season so travel agents and past customers have been eagerly awaiting the new schedule.

The line’s 2008-09 winter collection includes 24 voyages to Asia, Australia, the Caribbean and South America. The season focuses on destination-rich itineraries, overnights in port and a wider choice of longer sailings, up to 35 days. "

When there are only 10 OS/VS staterooms per ship, it is understandable why they sell out within the first hour.

I can't wait for their new ship to do the 35 day itinerary, as it will have more and larger cabins . But O has to hear from us about this wish.

WOW that is impressive. I am just a lurker until I get to be a Oceania Cruiser.

Until then I will just live vicariously through all of you!! ;)

Happy Oceania cruising!!

We booked NZ/Aus on Nautica, 1-22-09, on 8-2-07, the second day the bookings were open.

My sis-in-law, who will be coming along with her hubby, wanted one of the four larger category C-1 cabins (6004, 6005, 7006, or 7007). There was only one left, 9:30am, PDT. I was able to put a hold on it for her - she confirmed the booking later that morning.

It is not only the top end accommodations that move early.

My wife and I are perfectly content with a standard C-1 down on deck 4.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to help me make my decision.

I will be proceeding with both the Oceania March 08 transatlantic cruise from Miami to Barcelona and their April 09 Hong Kong to Athens cruise, both in a Penthouse Suite and wait-listed for an Owners Suite, but not holdng my breath. May take the money we save on the cabin and buy something nice with it. In the meantime, I will be thinking about these cruises in Nov while on the Princess for a week in the Caribbean.

Thanks again!

Glad you made your plans with Oceania. We will most likely see you in 09 since my husband is really leaning toward Oceania for 09. As you say, we can spend the money difference on nice hotels on the land portion. Based on what I read about the 07, 35day Nautica trip it will be a great cruise!

We have a trip to Argentina and an Artarctic expidition cruise Jan-Feb 08. When we get back from that, we will have to make definite plans. But for right now I can work on my 09 wish list!

We really want the 35 day Hong Kong to Athens cruise, but as we never sailed on the Oceania line before we thought we would test the waters so to speak by first travelling on their Miami to Barcelona cruise in March 08 as this is only 12 days. If they live up to their reputation which I am sure they will, then it is all systems go for the 09 cruise so we hope to see CWN and others then.

Does Oceania allow you to book a cruise while on board? If so, perhaps you can book your cruise and the suite you want at that time, before the public has an opportunity to do so.

This will be our first Oceania cruise ( 4/4//08 ) so I am not familiar with their practices.

Does Oceania allow you to book a cruise while on board? If so, perhaps you can book your cruise and the suite you want at that time, before the public has an opportunity to do so.

This will be our first Oceania cruise ( 4/4//08 ) so I am not familiar with their practices.

Oceania does allow you to book your cruise on board, but you are limited to those cruises that are publically available. You are given a $200 credit when you book onboard, but that is the only advantage.

Oceania does allow you to book your cruise on board, but you are limited to those cruises that are publically available. You are given a $200 credit when you book onboard, but that is the only advantage.

I beg to differ. In some respects you can book while onboard by logging into Oceania's website. They do not have a future cruise desk. Also, all passengers get the $200 voucher for future Oceania cruising as long as it is booked within 45 days from disembarkation. We have done 5 'O' cruises and have our 6th booked. While on one of our cruises, my DH considered to stay on for the next leg which we were told was not fully booked. We checked with the concierge to make the arrangements and were told to go to Oceania's site and do it there. Pricing was the same as the normal published fares. Some cruise lines offer attractive incentives for onboard booked future cruises. We were on an HAL cruise and there were 7 cabins/suites available for the next leg. Word spread very quickly and they were sold to onboard passengers at very attractive pricing. If you booked your air through the cruise line, they looked after to make all the necessary flight changes. Since Oceania is so popular and becoming more so, being able to book the next leg while cruising, is almost an impossibility.

We checked with the concierge to make the arrangements and were told to go to Oceania's site and do it there. Pricing was the same as the normal published fares.

You were booking on the website that was available to all and the pricing was the same as the normal published fares. Not sure where the advantage is? Yes, in your case you decided to say on, can't say that will be advantage for most, as we need to get back. You are in a fortunate situation to be able to do so.

The poster bobgail was wondering if you can book a cruise before the general public. No, you cannot.

I do believe Oceania opens their sailings to "special TA's" first. The reason I say this is that I have a friend who emailed me a couple of weeks ago to let me know that they had booked a February 2009 Oceania cruise and if we wanted to book the same one to let her know so her TA could book it for us. Otherwise, we'd have to wait an add'l week or two until the bookings were made public. When my friend booked, her particular sailing date wasn't even on the Oceania website yet. So in answer to the OP's original suspicion, I think you may be right. Some clients are treated differently than others.

I do believe Oceania opens their sailings to "special TA's" first. The reason I say this is that I have a friend who emailed me a couple of weeks ago to let me know that they had booked a February 2009 Oceania cruise and if we wanted to book the same one to let her know so her TA could book it for us. Otherwise, we'd have to wait an add'l week or two until the bookings were made public. When my friend booked, her particular sailing date wasn't even on the Oceania website yet. So in answer to the OP's original suspicion, I think you may be right. Some clients are treated differently than others.

Yes, Oceania treats some TA's differently than others. My understanding is that the top 50(?) Oceania TA's are called "Oceania Cruises' Connoisseur Club" and these agents have access to the itineraries before they are generally posted. However, I do believe that they are opened up for booking at the same time for everybody. Just knowing what is available the week or two prior, enabling you to make a decision, is helpful, even if you end up booking at the same time with the "general public" (who ever that is);). I contacted Connoisseur Club TA, she sent me the itineraries when she received them and I then made may request to her prior to August 1st, the day they went up for sale.

I question if your friend was officially booked, or just had her request in with the TA. Our request was in prior to August 1st with a CC TA, but I did not receive back anything official until the 1st, when I assume she made all of her clients bookings. Since I was interested in just a standard veranda cabin, versus the ever so popular OS/VS, there was little doubt my request would go unfullfilled. So to me, I had already "booked" even though it was not official for another week or so.

On MikeSierra's Aug 6 post, he met a couple who booked an OS independently, which would be impossible if some TA's were able to book earlier than others. I know many on these boards believe the system is rigged. I choose to believe the best and that cabin assignment is sometimes just a matter of luck.

Yes, Oceania treats some TA's differently than others. My understanding is that the top 50(?) Oceania TA's are called "Oceania Cruises' Connoisseur Club" and these agents have access to the itineraries before they are generally posted. However, I do believe that they are opened up for booking at the same time for everybody. Just knowing what is available the week or two prior, enabling you to make a decision, is helpful, even if you end up booking at the same time with the "general public" (who ever that is);). I contacted Connoisseur Club TA, she sent me the itineraries when she received them and I then made may request to her prior to August 1st, the day they went up for sale.

I question if your friend was officially booked, or just had her request in with the TA. Our request was in prior to August 1st with a CC TA, but I did not receive back anything official until the 1st, when I assume she made all of her clients bookings. Since I was interested in just a standard veranda cabin, versus the ever so popular OS/VS, there was little doubt my request would go unfullfilled. So to me, I had already "booked" even though it was not official for another week or so.

On MikeSierra's Aug 6 post, he met a couple who booked an OS independently, which would be impossible if some TA's were able to book earlier than others. I know many on these boards believe the system is rigged. I choose to believe the best and that cabin assignment is sometimes just a matter of luck.

Hmm, I'm not sure. My friend told me she was "booked" because she has a specific suite she gets every time she cruises Oceania. She told me if I wanted to book early before all the premium cabins were gone once it opened to the public, she would give me her TA's name. We opted not to book the same cruise. We've never done Oceania, and the price tag is just too high for us to justify doing a Caribbean cruise. We've decided to wait and do a transatlantic on Oceania, probably westbound in 2009. If I'm going to be paying that much more for a ship than we ordinarily pay, I'd prefer to be on one with a lot of sea days so we can really make full use of the ship itself. And the free air for a cruise out of Florida isn't an incentive for us; we can fly very inexpensively from the Northeast to Florida.

My husband and I are wanting to do an Asian cruise with O in late winter or Spring '09. Am I to assume we are already too late? I thought O was only selling thru fall '08. If we were to book early is it for real that we'd get 2 for the price of one? with free air? We are booked in a Penthouse this September Dover to Rome which we waitlisted for and received in June after booking toward the end of '06. I think waiting listing works because people book way in advance knowing they can cancel with full refund several months (90 days) before they crusie. Be hopeful you waitlisters!

I deal with an agency that is probably as close to being "favored" by Oceania as anyone gets. The owner of the agency is a personal friend of the Oceania CEO and her associate, my agent, is a former Oceania employee who lives in Fort Lauderdale and stays in personal contact with his former colleagues at their Miami office.

I wanted a specific cabin on a specific cruise in the Winter '08/'09 offerings. I sent him an email last April telling him what I wanted as soon as they could book it. Then, in July, after it had been announced when the bookings would open, I reminded him again. He gave me the itinerary as soon as it was released, but did not have the prices at that time. I saw the itinerary had been changed from the Dec '07 version of that same cruise (BA to Valparaiso), from 20 days to 16 days and leaving out Antarctica, but we decided to book anyway, and I confirmed to him that I wanted that certain cabin on that Dec 20. '08 cruise.

A few days later, he got the prices, and sent me an estimate of the costs. But, bookings were not open yet. Once again, I confirmed what we wanted. However, I also inquired about the cost of one of the 19 day cruises in '09 from Rio to Valparaiso. I really wasn't interested in those cruises, but I was curious what the difference was in price.

On August 2, I received an email from him with attached invoices. Early on August 1, he had placed a hold on "my" cabin for the Dec 20, 08 cruise, and also for the Feb 17, '09 version -- just in case I liked the price better. The hold was through Aug 8, '07. Betsy was out of town, so I waited until she returned home on Sunday, Aug 5, to go over the numbers and make a final decision. We stuck with the Dec 20 date, and on Monday, Aug 6 I called Ricky with my credit card number. We were then officially booked and "our" cabin became available to others for the February cruise.

That's the way it works. There is no favoritism. Any agency can place their bookings at exactly the same time. If one agency happens to be more efficient, they're going to bring home the bacon.

By the way, it's entirely possible that the shortage of cabins in the first couple of days was dues to many people putting holds on several different cabins to see what they could get. It's entirely possible that on Aug 9, a lot of them became available again, just like the one we released. A knowledgeable TA would have gotten their nose in their and would have been able to pick up some more plums.

I spent a lot of time reading this board, and the Yahoo Group version, and did a lot of reading between the lines to figure out which agent would truly be the most helpful. It's worked for me. That service and knowledge are worth a lot to me, and I expect to pay for it. I do not try to get a bargain and am happy to let them earn a legitimate profit. The difference is peanuts, anyway, at these price points.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for letting me know. I do not feel that bad and may even continue with our bookings as we have two Oceania cruises planned and reserved.

I did not do this for the cruise you are talking about but I have done this in the past. I am a TA and if I have a client that wants a certain cabin for a certain cruise I will often check it 30-40 times a day to get it for them. I am also familiar enough with some cruise lines to know when they are going to release their new cruises. Sometimes it is midnight - in which case I will gladly stay up until midnight to get my client what they want. That is what good TA's do - SERVICE! With a good TA - you get lots of service, pay less and get other added benefits too! That is what I ALWAYS try to give all of my clients!

Archived