Embarking from Australian ports

Leslieswiger

Has anyone had a problem taking on wine and champagne when traveling from Australian ports?:confused: Thanking you in advance for your time and interest in the above matter. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

I cruised with Princess from New Zealand to Australia and had no problem bringing wine on when we embarked or at any of the ports we visited where we bought a couple of bottles. They let us bring it on and straight to our cabins vs. holding it for us until the end of the cruise.

But speaking of odd things and cruising 'down under.' Do NOT try to bring any sort of honey or honey flavored things with you. New Zealand is BEYOND picky about honey. I even had some honey flavored Teddy Grahams in a sealed box that they examined carefully. (They did let me have them in the end.) I guess they want you to only use/have their honey. They looked at any food we had with us; suitcase or carry-on for honey.

Do NOT try to bring any sort of honey or honey flavored things with you. New Zealand is BEYOND picky about honey. ... I guess they want you to only use/have their honey. They looked at any food we had with us; suitcase or carry-on for honey.
The same goes for Australia. Both countries have very strict quarantine laws, and readily enforce them with fines.

The reason that honey is particularly jumped on is because it's a raw food, and it carries diseases. Not human diseases, but diseases that could rapidly affect the local honey bee population. So quarantine really matters in relation to this.

We had cases of passenger wines being loaded on the Diamond Sapphire in Sydney last spring for the transpacific cruises...no problems at all. The toughest part about sailing from Australia is having to go through immigration before you get on the ship. It took us about 2 hours of standing in line at the Overseas Passenger Terminal to get on the Diamond in Sydney, and people were getting upset at Princess, but it wasn't their fault...Australian immigration was the bottleneck.

As a NZer with family members who depend on agriculture for their living I have to say that we are NOT beyond picky - we are just protecting our borders - which we are entitled to do. Honey is a raw food and can contain diseases that could destroy part of our agricultural based economy.

Please declare any food that you bring into New Zealand (and Australia) even if it is packaged. Normally you will be fine with packaged and prepared food, but you should check just in case.

Part of the beauty of NZ and Australia is our unique environments preserved by centuries of isolation, and our economies are based on agriculture, please help us preserve this by taking note of our customs laws.

We had cases of passenger wines being loaded on the Diamond Sapphire in Sydney last spring for the transpacific cruises...no problems at all. The toughest part about sailing from Australia is having to go through immigration before you get on the ship. It took us about 2 hours of standing in line at the Overseas Passenger Terminal to get on the Diamond in Sydney, and people were getting upset at Princess, but it wasn't their fault...Australian immigration was the bottleneck.

Gee... sorry to hear of your experience..... ours was we were able to "cruise" right on the ship in Sydney. Maybe it was because we arrived early (late morning) and had no problems.

Archived