FOS Passengers - overrun St. Martin?

I'll be traveling on the FOS- in St. Martin on Sept. 13th. I'm hoping that someone recently off the ship could answer a question... With so many passengers, I was wondering if the island was overrun! We would like to shop in Marigot in the morning and spend lunch and the afternoon on a beach. All we need are two padded lounge chairs and an umbrella (a must for us!) and - of course - some rum drinks. I'm afraid that with the Freedom in town (as well as the Carnival Miracle) that all the chairs and umbrellas will be taken in Orient Beach by noon. Does anyone know if that will be the case? I don't need the activity of Orient Beach, don't need the shopping or the wave runners, etc. so if anyone can suggest another beach where we can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella and buy drinks, I'd appreciate it! I'd just hate to get there and have no where to sit! Actually, our IDEAL place would also have an infinity pool next to the sea. (If you've ever been to the Westin Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island - that's what I mean. Heaven!) Some nice hotels will let day visitors rent chairs and an umbrella for the afternoon, but I don't know if there are any in St. Martin. Any ideas? Thanks!!

I'll be traveling on the FOS- in St. Martin on Sept. 13th. I'm hoping that someone recently off the ship could answer a question... With so many passengers, I was wondering if the island was overrun! We would like to shop in Marigot in the morning and spend lunch and the afternoon on a beach. All we need are two padded lounge chairs and an umbrella (a must for us!) and - of course - some rum drinks. I'm afraid that with the Freedom in town (as well as the Carnival Miracle) that all the chairs and umbrellas will be taken in Orient Beach by noon. Does anyone know if that will be the case? I don't need the activity of Orient Beach, don't need the shopping or the wave runners, etc. so if anyone can suggest another beach where we can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella and buy drinks, I'd appreciate it! I'd just hate to get there and have no where to sit! Actually, our IDEAL place would also have an infinity pool next to the sea. (If you've ever been to the Westin Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama Island - that's what I mean. Heaven!) Some nice hotels will let day visitors rent chairs and an umbrella for the afternoon, but I don't know if there are any in St. Martin. Any ideas? Thanks!!

I just got back from the Eastern yesterday and Carnival Valor was in port with us (I believe she holds more passengers than Miracle) and neither St. Thomas or St. Maarten were too crowded. We did the Captain Morgan's sailing adventure and it was great, don't let the name fool you, its not a bunch of drunks ;) . Definitely look into it, its an hour and a half sail with 2-3 hours at a private beach with lunch and drinks included (coke, beer, rum punch, water...). But no, it won't be too crowded, if you go to the beach, I just wouldnt go to one of the most popular ones, that is where you find the crowd.

In June 07 I was on the Liberty, while the Explorer was docked and another Carnival ship in St Marteen and it was not crowded. There were chairs to rent all along the main beach, and also Orient Beach was not crowded either. Enjoy the island "MY FAVORITE".

Just got back yesterday from a cruise on the Carnival Valor.

We were docked in St. Maarten with the Freedom of the Seas. No need to worry about being overcrowded with 2 ships docked. Our tour guide told us that they sometimes have as many as 12 docked and tendered.

On my tour, we stopped to look at Orient. The waves were very rough and still there were quite a few people.

We opted for a quiter beach that was much closer to the Cruise shio in case anything should happen. We went to Divi Bay Beach. In is literaly a 5-minute cab ride from the dock, and will cost you $4 per person for a ride over there. It is actually a beach that the vacationers at several time-shares use. It is very clean, has showers, changing room, bar, resturant, jet ski rentals, etc. Chairs and free, and snorkeling equipment is avaliable for rental. Because it is in a bay, the water is calmer than at Orient Beach. There is a taxi stand by the entrance of the beach, so you won't have a problem getting back to the boat.

If you want some pictures, PM me.

Just got back yesterday from a cruise on the Carnival Valor.

We were docked in St. Maarten with the Freedom of the Seas. No need to worry about being overcrowded with 2 ships docked. Our tour guide told us that they sometimes have as many as 12 docked and tendered.

On my tour, we stopped to look at Orient. The waves were very rough and still there were quite a few people.

We opted for a quiter beach that was much closer to the Cruise shio in case anything should happen. We went to Divi Bay Beach. In is literaly a 5-minute cab ride from the dock, and will cost you $4 per person for a ride over there. It is actually a beach that the vacationers at several time-shares use. It is very clean, has showers, changing room, bar, resturant, jet ski rentals, etc. Chairs and free, and snorkeling equipment is avaliable for rental. Because it is in a bay, the water is calmer than at Orient Beach. There is a taxi stand by the entrance of the beach, so you won't have a problem getting back to the boat.

If you want some pictures, PM me.

We were in St Thomas and St Maarten with you!

A couple of years ago I went on the Explorer to St. Maarten. There were 4 ships there. 1 Royal Caribbean (Explorer), 2 Carnivals (smaller, 70,000) and 1 Princess (don't know the size). It did feel a big crowded, but once it was late afternoon, you didn't notice it. The water taxi lines were busy though. That was the year that we told 2 group members to meet us at the water taxi pier, and they ended up at a different pier further down towards the ship. We waited 1 hour for them, and decided to go back to the ship. Thankfully, she was there.

I have spent a week on St. Maarten and have also visited twice as a cruise ship passenger. Most of the cruise ship passengers at orient beach get out of the cab and stop at the first 2 places and buy chairs there. Ask the cab driver to drive a little further down the beach (towards the nude part but not actually on it) or just walk yourself and you will have no trouble finding a chair. The chairs are also cheaper further down and come with a free drink and use of the bathroom all day. If you are going to be in Marigot in the morning, another convenient beach which I love and is never crowded is Le Galion. Doesnt have all the water sports, but is much more calm and peaceful.

Thanks for all the replies -

Qino2 - Did Le Galion have chairs and umbrellas to rent, food and drinks, and taxis back to the cruise dock? I wouldn't mind a calmer spot, so that might be a great place to go.

Divi Bay sounds nice as well...

Does anyone know if any of the nice hotels with pools on the island have day passes for visitors, like the hotels in Mexico do?

Thanks for all the replies -

Qino2 - Did Le Galion have chairs and umbrellas to rent, food and drinks, and taxis back to the cruise dock? I wouldn't mind a calmer spot, so that might be a great place to go.

Divi Bay sounds nice as well...

Does anyone know if any of the nice hotels with pools on the island have day passes for visitors, like the hotels in Mexico do?

heres a link that tells you about various beaches including le galion, we went to Dawn Beach and it was pretty peaceful - with St Barts in the distance

http://www.st-maarten-info.com/St-Maarten-Beaches/LeGalion.html

........If you are going to be in Marigot in the morning, another convenient beach which I love and is never crowded is Le Galion. Doesnt have all the water sports, but is much more calm and peaceful.........

Actually, Le Galion is on the other side of the island, near Orient Beach. Marigot is on the West coast, Le Galion and Orient, the East coast.

Le Galion has calm waters, better for small tots, and fewer all-over tanners, for those who are uneasy about skin displays. :)

Freedom is no bigger than a couple of small ships and it does not overwhelm the ports it visits. St. Martin often has several megaships in port on the same day, with no averse effects. It's likely the best organised port in the caribbean, in my opinion.

Ships pax on St Martin are spread out over the whole island. The only congestion will be Front Street in Phillipsburg, the main shopping drag. Also, during high season in Dec Jan etc., Orient Beach will have some crowding, especially at Club Orient which is a full resort. Many of the loungers at Club O are reserved for resort guests in the wintertime. However there will still be lots of space further up the beach. At it's most crowded Orient in the winter is still less congested than most US beaches during the summer. Plus there are dozens of other great beaches, such as Dawn, Divi, etc.

Great Bay by Phillipsburg is fine to sit at and look but I wouldn't put a toe in that water because of marine leaks from all the shipping and sewage discharges.

Freedom is no bigger than a couple of small ships and it does not overwhelm the ports it visits. St. Martin often has several megaships in port on the same day, with no averse effects. It's likely the best organised port in the caribbean, in my opinion.

What is you cabin # on the Brilliance, we are on the sailing before yours.

Archived