iron???

I read that as well...I don't know the answer as to why it was confiscated as they are permitted. And yes, curling irons and flat irons have higher wattage, they get much hotter than travel irons. :cool:

The thread I think you are talking about wasn't talking about a curling iron, it was a flat iron that cost around $200. It was probably stolen when the door was open for cleaning.

The thread I think you are talking about wasn't talking about a curling iron, it was a flat iron that cost around $200. It was probably stolen when the door was open for cleaning.

Yes, you are right! I remember and I can attest to the cost of good ones! They are $$$

On page 28 of the actual cruise booklet...not the brochure.

The title of the page is Ship Information.

I'm talking about the cruise docs booklet

when did you last cruise? maybe its changed since then?

I'm talking about the cruise docs booklet

when did you last cruise? maybe its changed since then?

I am sitting here looking at my cruise docs which arrived yesterday for my cruise on 8th Sept.

Also I contacted some of my friends at RCCI UK earlier about this matter who also confirmed to me as what the rules are with regard irons.

Just to set the cat amongst the pidgeons, a few months ago my friend phoned RCCL.UK and asked if she was allowed to take her TRAVEL IRON on her upcoming cruise. The answer she recieved was yes TRAVEL IRONS were allowed but HOUSEHOLD IRONS were not. So maybe the people at RCCL need to read up on there rules.

The reason my friend phoned in the first place was that she didn't believe me when I said they were not allowed and after her phone call she still doesn't believe me.

Just to set the cat amongst the pidgeons, a few months ago my friend phoned RCCL.UK and asked if she was allowed to take her TRAVEL IRON on her upcoming cruise. The answer she recieved was yes TRAVEL IRONS were allowed but HOUSEHOLD IRONS were not. So maybe the people at RCCL need to read up on there rules.

The reason my friend phoned in the first place was that she didn't believe me when I said they were not allowed and after her phone call she still doesn't believe me.

Classic! :p

Sorry but I just have to stir the pot a bit here. I always find it funny when people just repeat and believe what they are told. RCL doesn't want irons because they make money on the pressing they provide. If you do some research you will find that today's irons (even full size ones) are not the fire risk they were many years ago. They were a risk because of bad cords which would fray and start a fire. I do not believe just leaving an iron plugged in will start a fire. The other main hazard of irons is the fact they can burn someone, that is completely different than starting a fire.

Also, you cannot tell me a travel iron is anymore of a fire hazard than a curling iron.

A couple of FACTS:

1 - to equate the fact that an iron was not confiscated but the alcohol was is a fallacy of argument. They are unrelated and to continually state that one rule is enforced and the other is not is to create a link which does not exist.

2 - to those who say "I always turn off mine and there is never a problem" - accidents are never planned and just because one person states that they are cautious does not mean that all people are. And it only take one accident to start a fire. Therefore one cannot claim that it is ok to break a rule because one person is smarter or more careful than another.

3 - I just checked my Guest Documents for my last two cruises and for my next cruise, which arrived a few days ago (from the UK office) it states on Page 21 (on all versions) "Royal Caribbean has developed a Guest Conduct Policy...Please make sure you familiarize yourself with these guidelines which can be found on our website: www.royalcaribbean.com under the Customer Support Section"

The Guest Conduct Policy you will read ...

"Prohibited Items

Items with Heating Elements or Open Flames

Certain items that generate heat or produce an open flame are not permitted on ship. This includes clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. (Curling irons and hair dryers are allowed.)"

4 - While the Guest Document does NOT clearly state anything about irons ir does oblige you to read the Guest Conduct Policy which in turn CLEARLY states that they are prohibited.

5 - Furthermore, The Cruise Ticket Contract - which you MUST agree to before you can print off your SetSail Pass states in section 2A "Carrier reserves the right to refuse to permit any Passenger to take on board the Vessel or on any mode of Transport any item Carrier deems inappropriate."

For anyone to state that they have no knowledge of a rule is an invalid argument. Once a set of rules is promulgated there is an obligation on those who agree to the rules to be aware of their content and the defence of "ignorance of the rules" is no defence at all.

I've had curling irons that are as hot as a clothes iron. What's the diff?

I agree. My straightening iron for my hair is actually HOTTER than what I use on my clothes. My hair will grow back if I fry it. :D We took an iron on our first cruise (on another line) and were SUPER careful with it, but now that I have admitted that...I will now be subjected to all of the indignation from our fellow posters.

I am still in shock at how this issue above ALL others really gets people peeved.:confused:

Also, you cannot tell me a travel iron is anymore of a fire hazard than a curling iron.

No one has to tell you anything other than the fact is that RCI does not prohibit curling irons but does prohibit clothes irons. That is all you need to know and should be sufficient reason for you to follow the policies that RCI has set in place. You can come up with whatever reasons you wish to explain their position, but that doesn't give you license to violate those policies or encourage others to do so.

RCI's policy on irons in staterooms has been clear for many months now and it is more than time that we stop beating a horse that has been dead since long ago.:rolleyes:

I am sorry but I do have the right to question when someone tries to tell me it is for one reason but cannot soundly back up that reasoning. I have no problem with them banning irons but let's call it what it is, a revenue game.

Also, no where was I encouraging anyone to violate a policy, I was stating my opinion and some facts. I didn't know it was against policy of this board to give an opinion.

If they were serious about fire safety, they should not allow cigarettes on board their ships. Cigarettes causes 10 times more fires than irons. About 20 years ago I was a fireman for 5 years, before changing jobs. Never had any iron fires, but had numerous cigarette related fires, several were fatalities.

is there such a thing as a travel steamer? I've never seen one, but I know my formal wear will be all wrinkly and I don't really want to steam up the whole cabin using the old turn-the-shower-on-hot-and-close-the-door-til-there-are-no-more-wrinkles routine. I don't intend to bring a curling iron either even though they are permitted because I leave it on all the time at home and that's bad enough. I have a healthy fear of fire on a ship so I'd rather be too cautious.

is there such a thing as a travel steamer? I've never seen one, but I know my formal wear will be all wrinkly and I don't really want to steam up the whole cabin using the old turn-the-shower-on-hot-and-close-the-door-til-there-are-no-more-wrinkles routine. I don't intend to bring a curling iron either even though they are permitted because I leave it on all the time at home and that's bad enough. I have a healthy fear of fire on a ship so I'd rather be too cautious.

You need to get yourself a pair of the new GHD IV's - they have an automatic cut out that kicks in if they are left on for longer that 1/2 an hour.

My flat iron goes up to 425 degrees, but even that has an automatic off. I am highly allergic to the Downey stuff. I opened a bottle in Target once and had a reaction right away.

Regarding the cigarettes: on one cruise we were sitting out by the pool and a guy near us had fallen asleep with cigarette in hand and surely enough it dropped. A bunch of us saw it and someone went and stomped it out. Now, if he was in his cabin, that could've been a serious issue.

The difference between a cigarette and an iron is the heat of an iron is much more than a lit cigarette. A slight touch of an iron can provide third degree burns, this is not the case with a lit cigarette. That is why ships with self serve laundrymats and irons have tougher fire supressment assets than their staterooms.

Its not like buying a travel steamer is tough to find. Every grocery and drug store carry at least one model. So does Walmart and Kmart. And they sell for less than $20.

Then its definitely worth the small investment. I swear I'd never heard of one, only travel irons that steamed. A travel steamer will save me a lot of hassle and still let me feel safe knowing I won't accidentaly burn the ship down. Besides, my next cruise is for 4 days...I have no intention of paying those kinds of prices to have them do my laundry:p

Archived