Ftl To Mia Transportation

gigman

For me I would rent a car for around $40. 22 mile drive all interstate. There are no drop fees and you can travel at your leisure. :)

I totally agree with this. We just returned from our cruise and rented a car at Fort Lauderdale and drove to Miami. I would also suggest going through priceline. I bid $25 and received a great brand new Impala from Alamo. You can use the kiosks to skip the line.... it literally takes 3 mins from standing in front of the kiosk to driving your car. Awesome!

Oh yeah, and the drive from Fort Lauderdale is a cinch and very pretty.

Did a rental car shuttle pick you up at Port Everglades, or did you have to take a taxi to FLL to pick up the car? Thanks!

We took a taxi from Port Everglades to Fort Lauderdale, which is a much better value than any shuttle I encountered. The Princess shuttles were $20/person. And you had to wait for it to fill up with other cruisers. And you had to wait for others to get dropped off at their drop spots. F-that! A taxi ride from Port Everglades to the FLL airport is ~$15 w/ tip! A family of 3, or a family of 4 with scant luggage can all ride in the same taxi. Do the math. The taxis are lined up in front of Port Everglades just as they are in front of Vegas hotels. Simply have a Princess porter take your family's luggage from the disembarkation area to a taxi. Don't feel the need to tip them in excess; they are on salary (we asked). Let's see now:

Family of 3 or 4: Taxi

- $15 (including tip)

- Direct trip, no waiting

Family of 3 or 4: Shuttle

- $60/$80 (not including tip)

- Additional wait and hassle

Does someone want to make an argument for the Princess shuttles? Perhaps more legroom for the 6'6" and taller crowd or more waist room the 6'6" and wider crowd. Otherwise, I cannot think of a reason to choose shuttling over taking a taxi.

Hope that answered your question;)

Thanks, very helpful! So, if you were to rent a car at the airport, you would take a taxi to the airport? I just wondered if a rental car company would send a free shuttle into Port Everglades?

The rental car companies have busses that run on a regular basis back and forth between the port and FLL.

We used a limo service, two years ago, but we were a party of seven, including kids 5,5 & 3 and all the luggage that goes with kids. It was a thrill for the kids and made the trip easy. It cost $90 plus tip,one way. They also picked us up at the hotel post-cruise to go back to the airport.

We took a taxi from Port Everglades to Fort Lauderdale, which is a much better value than any shuttle I encountered. The Princess shuttles were $20/person. And you had to wait for it to fill up with other cruisers. And you had to wait for others to get dropped off at their drop spots. F-that! A taxi ride from Port Everglades to the FLL airport is ~$15 w/ tip! A family of 3, or a family of 4 with scant luggage can all ride in the same taxi. Do the math. The taxis are lined up in front of Port Everglades just as they are in front of Vegas hotels. Simply have a Princess porter take your family's luggage from the disembarkation area to a taxi. Don't feel the need to tip them in excess; they are on salary (we asked). Let's see now:

Family of 3 or 4: Taxi

- $15 (including tip)

- Direct trip, no waiting

Family of 3 or 4: Shuttle

- $60/$80 (not including tip)

- Additional wait and hassle

Does someone want to make an argument for the Princess shuttles? Perhaps more legroom for the 6'6" and taller crowd or more waist room the 6'6" and wider crowd. Otherwise, I cannot think of a reason to choose shuttling over taking a taxi.

Hope that answered your question;)

I can't imagine anyone taking the Princess shuttle to the airport just to rent a car to drive to Miami. And why pay to take the whole family on the Princess shuttle. Just have them wait at the pier until you pick up the car.

Bill

Bill

Thanks, very helpful! So, if you were to rent a car at the airport, you would take a taxi to the airport? I just wondered if a rental car company would send a free shuttle into Port Everglades?

As stated the shuttle I would refer to would be the rental company shuttle Alamo/Hertz etc. We ride it all the time from the port. It is very fast. :)

As we were walking to get a one way rental, DH asked a limo driver - how much to Miami- it was a bit more than the rental- but what the heck it was vacation and the kids stretched out after the plane ride! Now three years later, the kids still say that was the best past of Vacation,.. other than the cruise itself!

As stated the shuttle I would refer to would be the rental company shuttle Alamo/Hertz etc. We ride it all the time from the port. It is very fast. :)

This is also a great idea for evening flights from either airport. Last time we got a day rate at a hotel near the airport, with shuttles to/from the port and FLL, and it worked out well as my husband wasn't feeling great and could rest before our flight. We used to lived in Fort Lauderdale and would love to visit old haunts next time. It's just that luggage is such an issue. A rental car would solve that problem.

I can't imagine anyone taking the Princess shuttle to the airport just to rent a car to drive to Miami. And why pay to take the whole family on the Princess shuttle. Just have them wait at the pier until you pick up the car.

Bill

Bill

As long as your family doesn't mind waiting outside in the summer heat and humidity with nothing better to do than earn their rides to the airport by playing luggage porter. But hey, you just spent 7 days with them 24/7; I'd leave them at the pier too.

Archived