Has anyone taken the SF to Alaska cruise?

travelgrammy

Hi, my husband and I are in the very early stages of planning our 2009 summer vacation cruise. We live in the SF Bay Area, so we like the idea of leaving from San Francisco. We got the Princess DVD and loooooved what we saw, so the next step is talking to people who've taken the cruise. We've never cruised Princess and don't really know what the experience is like compared to RCCL and Carnival (the two we've previously taken.) So, has anyone cruised from SF to Alaska and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Anne

We think the RT San Francisco to Alaska is a winner. For us, it means no flights!

Sometimes a bit bumpy outside the Golden Gate, when you are going through the "Potato Patch", and often a bumpier ride northbound than southbound, as the Japanese Current flows South along the Left Coast.

It is a real thrill to backaway from Pier 35 into the channel, whistle (horn)blasting, and then proceeding towards and under the Golden Gate Bridge. Brings a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye every time.

Hi,

Yes, we took the SF-Alaska RT on the Dawn Princess June 20, 2007. Loved it!

There were 4 of us... in two separate rooms on the Baja deck with balconies. I would recommend a balcony for all the scenic cruising in Alaska.

Sailing under the Golden Gate was fantastic. We stood by the pools, but I understand now that you can get to the front of the ship by walking to the front of the 10th or 11th deck. That would be a fabulous view.

I'm an SF native, and it was emotional for me to sail away and back home under that bridge! I understand Princess will not be sailing out of SF much longer, so do it while you can.

Sharks13:)

We, too, love sailing out of San Francisco for the same reasons stated above:

Close to home-no airport hassles;

Love saiing under the Golden Gate--but remember it could be covered in fog.

Sea days are lovely on the way to Alaska.

I have never sailed Carnival but I beleive that Princess is comparabale to RCL. Service is excellent and so is the food.

The one negative on this trip might be bumpy waters out of SF and long the cost to Vancouver. We were lucky and had a very smooth sailing on our voyage.

I am another cruiser who has sailed out of S.F. to Alaska a few times. In fact 4 times and next year the 5th and yes as the others have said no flights, cruising under the Golden Gate is spectacular and the Dawn is a great ship. Spend some time on the Alaska and Canada boards to find out alot of info on those areas. There is a wealth of info there to help you with excursions etc.

Marilyn

We loved our cruise this year, but did think that the croud was a little more subdued than some of the larger ships. It was very foggy, which was interesting. Coming home we just happened to see the Golden Gate bridge as we sailed under it early in the morning. We did not go to Glacier Bay, which is a highlight on other iteneraries. Get a balcony no matter what ship you are on!

Hi I just returned from this cruise last week, my 2nd cruise to Alaska. My 1st was out of Vancouver on Norwegian Sun. I enjoyed sailing out of San Francisco, but one thing to keep in mind is that despite what Princess say the Dawn sails up on the western side of Vancouver Island and not up the lower portion of the Inside Passage. While you sail up the western coast of Vancouver Island you are obviously in open ocean and do miss out on some of the scenery you get to view on other cruises. When you reach your ports of call the scenery and wildlife are spectacular, I just feel that you miss out on some of these viewing opportunities on this cruise. It depends what you want from the cruise, if you're happy with less sceneic cruising as you experience with this itinerary then I would say definitely go for it. Read some of the current D.P. on this site. reviews.

elliemay

We have also sailed to Alaska on HAL and have done cruises on RCCL, Disney, Carnival and we have a cruise scheduled on NCL. This was our first cruise on Princess. The big plus was driving to the port and when we got off the ship we were home before lunch (huge plusses in my mind).

I loved the Dawn because it was small enough to feel intimate. There were plenty of places to hang out and I loved our small balcony (I had been warned so I knew how small it would be). The room was the small, the smallest I have ever been in for the price! Our steward, however, was awesome! We had anytime dining and enjoyed the flexibility to eat when and whereever we wanted. We ate in the specialty restaurant once and it was ok, my favorite was the pizza!

My favorite part, besides the scenery and there was lots, was the number of sea days. But this is a small ship so you have to be able to entertain yourselves on a sea day. If you have to be entertained then it may not be the ship for you. Also, the pool isn't covered, so if you like to lounge by the pool it can be crisp!

It's great for all the reasons stated plus those extra days..well it just is the most relaxing. The only thing I'd add is that the ocean can be rough for the first day out of SF. Also the heavest seas we have ever experienced were during a storm near an Alaskan port - but they will change to a protected port if this happens. Still its a not to be missed experience sailing out of SF.

I just took the RT from SF. I would highly recommend it. The first couple of nights were rough sailing due to the open water but the seasick patch and dramamine did the trick. It is a wonderful cruise and I would do it again in a heartbeat. (unfortunately there is that small thing about being able to pay for it LOL) I got to the port about 1130 and was in my room by noon. NO line whatsoever for checking in. The disembarkment was just as easy. Took all of 15 min from the time by group was called to being in front of the terminal.

Grace

Did a cruise several years ago out of San FRancisco on the Pacific Princess, one of Princesses smaller ships only 30,000 tons. Went early September, last cruise of the season. Had smooth seas all the way up to our last port in Alaska, then had a storm moving north when we were returning, going south. Rough seas for 2 days, but all in all not bad.

As a native of San Francisco, I love cruising out of this city for all of the reasons stated above. It is wonderful to simply take a taxi to the ship.

Princess is an excellent line, as stated above. I have cruised on 7-8 different cruise lines over the past 25 years, have 30+ cruises. The major cruise lines are all about the same -- individual sailing have pluses and minuses. You will enjoy a cruise to Alaska no matter what line you take. I do recommend you get on a large vs small ship, new vs older ship just because they offer more amenities.

has anyone cruised from SF to Alaska and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance.

Anne

one of the best parts was sailing out of San Francisco bay... and to top that off... the CD played Tony Bennett's, "I Left My Heart in San Francisco". It was a really great experience!

Hi I just returned from this cruise last week, my 2nd cruise to Alaska. My 1st was out of Vancouver on Norwegian Sun. I enjoyed sailing out of San Francisco, but one thing to keep in mind is that despite what Princess say the Dawn sails up on the western side of Vancouver Island and not up the lower portion of the Inside Passage. While you sail up the western coast of Vancouver Island you are obviously in open ocean and do miss out on some of the scenery you get to view on other cruises. When you reach your ports of call the scenery and wildlife are spectacular, I just feel that you miss out on some of these viewing opportunities on this cruise. It depends what you want from the cruise, if you're happy with less sceneic cruising as you experience with this itinerary then I would say definitely go for it. Read some of the current D.P. on this site. reviews.

elliemay

Thanks for the info. I always wondered about the inside passage for the SF route.... Too bad missing the inside route out of Vancouver because that is gorgeous. We enjoyed sitting on the fantail and feeling like we could reach out an touch either shore.

Not a deal breaker for the SF route, but nice to know not to expect it. Guess the inside passage must be pretty busy with all the traffic.

I'm so happy to see all the positive posts about this cruise! We're booked next year on the Dawn Princess and from reading the Alaska board I thought I'd made a mistake :( . It seems the north or south bound cruises are considered to be "better" :confused: .

We booked this because RT flights are less expensive, and we wanted to visit San Francisco before the cruise.

Rough seas don't bother us, so now I think I didn't make a mistake! (Of course there can never be a bad cruise :) , at least for us!)

Thanks so much!

I have to agree with all the posts about sailing out of SF. We did it twice on the Regal, 2002 and 2004. As most everyone said, it was a little rough going up the coast, but bearable. The biggest plus for us also was not having to fly to SF. We live about 50 miles NE of SF, so it was just a trip into the city. I am a native of SF and sailing under the Golden Gate and listening to I Left My Heart in San Francisco was just the beginning of 2 wonderful trips to Alaska. Enjoy your cruise.

Lynn

We've done the Alaska round trip San Francisco twice, and I'd do it again like a shot. We live in San Jose, so it's a peaceful trip on CalTrain, followed by a short taxi drive from the station near the baseball stadium. No parking or flying hassles!

The itenary is great.

I can't think of anything bad to say about this cruise.

We are looking at the 10 day sailing from SF to Alaska for 2008. We have done Alaska twice from Seattle. I only have two concerns: the rough waters outside of SF and an uncovered pool. The first issue is related to one daughter who gets sea sick. The other issue is related to all three of my daughters who like to swim. I know that it can be pretty nippy out there. The brief comments that several of you have made about the Dawn is helpful. My girls are going to be 18, 15 and 12 at the time and I know the extra sea days might make it "borrrrrrinnnnngggggg" for them. As for DW and I, we love those sea days!!! Very relaxing! Sailing under the Golden Gate bridge would be a real treat!

We were on the Dawn last June and enjoyed a few days in SF before the cruise. Did the whole tourist thing...stayed in Fisherman's Wharf and bought the 3-day Muni pass. We shopped at Traders Joe which was 3 blocks from our hotel and picked up soda and wine for our cabins. We walked from the hotel to Pier 35 and just hand our luggage to the porter.

It was a sunny after noon as we sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge and we were right at the bow with many others. There were people on the bridge waving at us.

The 10-day was a better deal than a 7-day Alaska cruise. All ports of call were fun and we got within 22 feet of a brown bear as it was eating berries in a tree at Mendenhall hiking area.

Was concern about disembarkation due to the nightmare info picked up on the boards. It turned out to be breeze. While others were standing in line to get a taxi, I left my family on the curb away from the crowds, walked a block and jumped into a taxi minivan and brought it back and picked them up and off we went to the airport.

My teen kids love the chocolate covered strawberries at Ghirardellis.

Archived