Distilled Water

premiumrican

I recently was diagnosed with sleep apnea so that means I have to sleep with a CPAP machine. The machine requires me to use distilled water, do you think if I put in a special request they will provide it for me? I checked the special request form online but there wasn't anything place for these special request.

My Dh is in the same condition, recently diagnosed. The last two cruises all we had to do is ask the cabin steward to contact housekeeping and they delivered a gallow of distilled water for his use. No charge. We didn't have to do anything ahead of time or contact anyone. These machines are so widely used now that they must anticipate that it will be needed onboard and they willingly provide it.

Distilled water has virtually all of the impurities removed from it by a special boiling process. I remember when we were supposed to use it in our steam irons.

Barbara

Isn't that the case with the ship's water? What's that whole double osmosis thing I keep reading about? I was planning on using the regular ship's water for my husband's apnea machine.

Thats a lot of water !! :D

Oh My, guess my proof reading isn't what it used to be. For those that don't ready typos, that was supposed to be 'gallon', not gallow. :::blushing:::

SusieQusie-The apnea machines are supposed to be used with Distilled water as any tap water can build up in the machine.

Is the tap water on the ship OK to use in the machine? What exactly is distilled water anyway?

Many CPAP machines come with a heated humidifier. Normally distilled water is used in this humidifier.

Distilled water is, essentially, boiled water in which the steam is recaptured and cooled down into liquid again. When it boils it leaves all the minerals and stuff behind so distilled water has none of those in it.

If you use tap water in the machine, even the ship's tap water which may be desalinated, there can still be minerals in it. Over a period of time these will leave a little white crust on the inside of the humidifier.

Frankly, when I travel I just use tap water. In a few days very little film builds up, and when I get home I just rinse the thing out with vinegar and it is all clean again.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Isn't that the case with the ship's water? What's that whole double osmosis thing I keep reading about? I was planning on using the regular ship's water for my husband's apnea machine.

Actually, distilled water is not healthy for daily consumption. Since it is pure H2O, it is a hypotonic solution* (our body actually needs an isotonic solution) and ends up washing essential minerals from your body that can lead to major medical problems such as cardiac dysrhythmias.

*a hypotonic solution has the lower osmotic pressure of two fluids and also describes a cell environment with a lower concentration of solutes than the cytoplasm of the cell. Given a cell placed in a hypotonic environment, osmosis causes a net flow of water into the cell, causing swelling and expansion. This swelling can cause the cell to burst.

Solutions and cell environments are also described, in terms of osmotic pressure, as being either hypotonic, hypertonic or isotonic.

Many CPAP machines come with a heated humidifier. Normally distilled water is used in this humidifier.

Distilled water is, essentially, boiled water in which the steam is recaptured and cooled down into liquid again. When it boils it leaves all the minerals and stuff behind so distilled water has none of those in it.

If you use tap water in the machine, even the ship's tap water which may be desalinated, there can still be minerals in it. Over a period of time these will leave a little white crust on the inside of the humidifier.

Frankly, when I travel I just use tap water. In a few days very little film builds up, and when I get home I just rinse the thing out with vinegar and it is all clean again.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike,

Excellent!!! You nailed it with the minerals being removed by distillation. It is the preferred water for CPAP humidifiers. I currently work for a DME company and deal with CPAPs all day.

The drinking of distilled water has been both advocated and discouraged for health reasons.

Distilled water is water that has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

I have heard one place that uses distilled water is the engine room. So just give them a call.

I recently was diagnosed with sleep apnea so that means I have to sleep with a CPAP machine. The machine requires me to use distilled water, do you think if I put in a special request they will provide it for me? I checked the special request form online but there wasn't anything place for these special request.

What kind of machine is that? Tap water is the norm on Resmed machines. Most CPAP machines don't even need water.

Archived