Robbed in Jamaica on CCL excursion, story for sale on Ebay???

cruisecruisecruise1234567

It is only .99 buy it now. So buy it, see what the guy has to say, what can it hurt? I think that it is strange the people get robbed in these third world countries and then kind of try to place the blame on Carnival just because they were the mode of transportation chosen, if you would have flown to Jamaica would you blame the airline?

The author of the e-bay story is a cop and often post on this site.

I don't consider it a sick joke, it's actually very informative. I've been to Jamaica before and I told myself I'll never go again, but I have to go out there next week. Ok, I don't "have to go" but I'll be going none the less. But armed with this story I know know to be a lot more carefull and keep my head on a swivel!

The author of the e-bay story is a cop and often post on this site.

I don't consider it a sick joke, it's actually very informative. I've been to Jamaica before and I told myself I'll never go again, but I have to go out there next week. Ok, I don't "have to go" but I'll be going none the less. But armed with this story I know know to be a lot more carefull and keep my head on a swivel!

I think the cruises need to boycott this island, as beautiful as it is.. it is just too dangerous

It is only .99 buy it now. So buy it, see what the guy has to say, what can it hurt? I think that it is strange the people get robbed in these third world countries and then kind of try to place the blame on Carnival just because they were the mode of transportation chosen, if you would have flown to Jamaica would you blame the airline?

I will ask the host if I buy it can I post it on CC. I know its not copyrighted so it would be legal.

I think the cruises need to boycott this island, as beautiful as it is.. it is just too dangerous

I agree Been there 3 times now, 2 on a cruise (Mo Bay, Ocho Rios) and once to a resort (runaway bay). It is dangerous and people are very deceptive and pushy. I dont have very many good memories from Jamaica which is why im not going back. However I have met nice people there but the bad one's far out weight the good ones. I am sure people are going to disagree with me but it's just my opnion. I figure 3 times is a good enough gauge to decide what I fell comfortable with.

I've been visiting Jamaica since the early 80s both land vacations and cruises and I've never had a problem. I find the people genuine, friendly, competitive and dirt poor.

MILLIONS of people have vacationed in Jamaica without incident. Yeah, some of the vendors can be aggressive but, as I said, they're very poor and selling trinkets to tourists is their means of getting by. I've seen pushier folks on the Mexican Gold Coast. If you aren't interested in what they have to offer as simple 'No thanks' will suffice.

Just as any country there are places to avoid. The tour in question was well off the proverbial 'beaten path'. (Lethe is not exactly a tourist hot spot.) There are precious few places in the US that don't have areas that you should avoid.

The incident in question was unfortunate, indeed, but to condemn the entire country because of it is a bit over the top.

Everyone has the ability to chose where they go and what they do on a cruise. The VAST majority of folks must be comfortable with Jamaica or the cruise industry would have written them off ages ago.

Just my $.02.

I've never been to Jamaica..sadly. I'm sure it's gorgeous. What I am aware of is that people I know who have done land vacations there at resorts have been warned to stay at the resort...very emphatically. So, after hearing this several times, I had made up my mind to skip this island, long before hearing about the robberies of cruise passengers. Crime has always been an issue there and it seems to be becoming a little worse now.

This may be silly of me, because I'm very aware there is crime just about everywhere. But my reality is, there is a HUGE world out there to see, I can skip Jamaica until their government gets some control over the situation.

I just find this whole thing odd. Why sell your story on EBAY unless he's just using it as a means to reach a larger number of people with the warning? It's not going to make him much money.

Jamaica seems to produce 2 types of reactions. There are people who were intimidated and people who aren't. We've dealt with some pretty aggressive vendors in Mexico. One went so far as to take my wife by the shoulders to steer her into his shop. That's where I stepped in. It all ended peacefully but was tense for a moment or two. We stil enjoyed the trip.

I guess my point is that one's reaction to Jamaica seems to depend on how easily intimidated you are by people and situations different from your everyday life.

When someone points a weapon at your child's head, that is pretty intimidating.

I believe he has the info on e-bay to get out the word.

I too love Jamaica, and hate to think that others will not be going there, for the experience, but this man went though a lot, and I respect his reaction to it.

When someone points a weapon at your child's head, that is pretty intimidating.

I believe he has the info on e-bay to get out the word.

I too love Jamaica, and hate to think that others will not be going there, for the experience, but this man went though a lot, and I respect his reaction to it.

I agree completely. I was commenting on the general reaction to Jamaica. This guy has every right to get the word out but the overwhelming majority of visitors to Jamaica don't experience this sort of crime.

I just find this whole thing odd. Why sell your story on EBAY unless he's just using it as a means to reach a larger number of people with the warning? It's not going to make him much money.

Jamaica seems to produce 2 types of reactions. There are people who were intimidated and people who aren't. We've dealt with some pretty aggressive vendors in Mexico. One went so far as to take my wife by the shoulders to steer her into his shop. That's where I stepped in. It all ended peacefully but was tense for a moment or two. We stil enjoyed the trip.

I guess my point is that one's reaction to Jamaica seems to depend on how easily intimidated you are by people and situations different from your everyday life.

I'll agree with you to a point.

Jamaica (or what I have heard about it) intimidates me. I cruise through Mexico as often as I can. I LOVE it. Some areas (Acapulco for example) have extremely pushy vendors and while wandering the streets there, one young man very nicely told me to "Put your camera away or someone will steal you."...so I took the camera from around my neck and tucked it in a bag and we walked on...never felt intimidated at all. So, I don't think I'm too easily intimidated.

Robbery is ONE thing, getting robbed at gun point is quite another.

What I am aware of is that people I know who have done land vacations there at resorts have been warned to stay at the resort...very emphatically.

I've stayed at three different resorts in Jamaica on numerous occasions and have never had anyone tell me to stay at the resort or even suggest that it might be a good idea. In fact, all three locations had people available to book excursions, much as are available aboard ship.

Some folks have had unfortunate experiences in Jamaica but tourists have problems everywhere. John Heald, in his blog, talked about a gentleman who had his wallet lifted while in port in Italy. Stuff happens.

I agree that the gentleman in question, his family and the others who were robbed had a terrible experience, an experience that no one would ever want to have. That being said, what happened to him simply isn't typical of Jamaica.

That being said, what happened to him simply isn't typical of Jamaica.

You know, I honestly believe you, but like I said, for some reason, I am intimidated by the stories. I know that stuff happens everywhere and you could just as easily be robbed at gunpoint in any major US city, so my intimidation is totally ridiculous as I stated...but it is there nonetheless.

There was a group of cruise passengers robbed in Costa Rica..I believe that one of the cruise passengers actually killed one of the assailants, yet I've been to Costa Rica and would go back again in an instant. Maybe because I've already been there and I know I feel comfortable there, just as you have been to Jamaica and feel comfortable there.

I just find this whole thing odd. Why sell your story on EBAY unless he's just using it as a means to reach a larger number of people with the warning? It's not going to make him much money...

maybe he had to put a price on it b/c that is the nature of ebay?:confused: just guessing. i'm not an ebay person, so i don't know. but i do believe he posted here (on CC) stating he did it b/c he wanted to get the word out since it wasn't being publicized.

i also see he has a notation saying any proceeds rec'd will be donated to international cruise victims.

Archived