Kenai or Denali?

jlkc

Hi,

We only have limited time (~3-4 days) to spend in Alaska after our cruise which disembarks in Whittier; if you had to choose between Kenai or Denali, which would you choose and why? We will be departing from Anchorage to return home at the end of those 3-4 days. TIA!

In my opinion, it depends what you want to do and see. If you have done alot of sea wildlife watching and boat excursions on the cruise, you would want to go to Denali to see something different. If you don't want to spend alot of time traveling and want to relax in a very quaint town, go to Seward and Homer.

We cruised with 2 other couples in July. They did a private post trip to Denali and loved it. But they were very busy. Due to time restraints, they got off the boat, took Leopard to Anchorage, then the bus to Denali. They got there at 9ish. THe next day, they did the 11 hour shuttle around Denali. The third day, they saw Jeff Stewards kennel, then took bus back to Anchorage and then flew home 9 hours. They loved it, had a great time but were exhausted.

We went to Seward. We rented a car and drove the 2 hours there from Whittier. We walked the town and saw the Iditorod kennel there. The next day we slept in, then did the Renown boat tour. We didn't do any of the boat excursions while we cruised so it was new and great to us. We walked the town that night and drove around the area. The last day, we again slept in, then drove to Anchorage and spent the day sightseeing there. We met the other 2 couples at the airport and flew home.

So both groups enjoyed what they did. Just think about where your interests are. Good luck.

I think most people would recommend Denali, but we opted not to go there, and we had 9 days for a land trip. We stayed in Anchorage the night the cruise ended and the night before flying home. We had a rental car and drove to Chitina, then flew to McCarthy/Kennicott for 2 nights (probably my favorite destination), 1 night in Valdez, ferry to Whittier/drive to Homer for 2 nights (loved Homer - best meals of the trip), 2 nights in Seward, and finally back to Anchorage after a 2-hour river float trip in Cooper Landing.

I hope to go to Denali on my next visit to Alaska - although I have no definite plans at the present time.

I think most people would recommend Denali, but we opted not to go there, and we had 9 days for a land trip. We stayed in Anchorage the night the cruise ended and the night before flying home. We had a rental car and drove to Chitina, then flew to McCarthy/Kennicott for 2 nights (probably my favorite destination), 1 night in Valdez, ferry to Whittier/drive to Homer for 2 nights (loved Homer - best meals of the trip), 2 nights in Seward, and finally back to Anchorage after a 2-hour river float trip in Cooper Landing.

I hope to go to Denali on my next visit to Alaska - although I have no definite plans at the present time.

That's a really tough question. We went to both places this past June and loved them both. Having said that, I think I would give a slight edge to Denali, especially if you take a flightseeing over the mountain there. It was the highlight of our trip.

If you want to see photos and reviews of both places, click on the links in my signature.

You don't say what time of year...that could make a difference. Or where you're from (I'd pick what was the most different from where I've lived or traveled before). But whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I would choose Denali. We took the train from Seward (after a 7 day cruise) in the evening to Anchorage and stayed overnight. Then drove the next day to Denali, stopped in Talkeetna on the way and actually stayed in Healy which is 10 miles north of Denali. The next morning we took the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake and back, an 11 hour trip but you are not on the bus for 11 hours, it is just 11 hours because of the stops. In Denali, we saw grizzlies (including a mother and 2 cubs), caribou, moose, wolves, foxes, and snowshoe hares. That was a highlight of our trip. The mountains within Denali are absolutely gorgeous and not like what you would see along the coast on the cruise unless you went interior on an excursion, perhaps to the Yukon in Skagway. Stayed overnight in Healy and drove the next day to Anchorage for our flight home about 8 pm.

Kenai gives you more water mammals such as sea lions and perhaps orcas and birds but I would opt for Denali. If you’re lucky you might see the mountain (Denali or McKinley) from Wonder Lake. It is also visible (if it’s out) from a couple of places south of Denali so you could get a couple of opportunities to see it.

By the way we did a 9 1/2 hour tour out to Northwestern Fjord and spent some time in Seward at the Sea Life Center as well as Exit Glacier, but I would still opt for Denail if I had to choose one or the other.

We just got back from a 7 day land trip plus cruise. We did Denali as well as Anchorage and Seward. Denali was spectacular but so too was our AMAZING trip from Anchorage to Brooks Falls to get up close to those Grizzlies. If I had to chose one I'd have to say Kenai just for Brooks Falls (and also the Wildlife Conservation Center Mile 79 on the Seward Highway) BUT ... if Brooks (or indeed another Grizzlie viewing trip) wasn't factored in, I would chose Denali - it really depends on your priorities. Either way, you will have an amazing time!

We just got back from a 7 day land trip plus cruise. We did Denali as well as Anchorage and Seward. Denali was spectacular but so too was our AMAZING trip from Anchorage to Brooks Falls to get up close to those Grizzlies. If I had to chose one I'd have to say Kenai just for Brooks Falls (and also the Wildlife Conservation Center Mile 79 on the Seward Highway) BUT ... if Brooks (or indeed another Grizzlie viewing trip) wasn't factored in, I would chose Denali - it really depends on your priorities. Either way, you will have an amazing time!

Isn't Brooks Falls in Katmai, not Kenia?

Yes, Brooks Falls and the bears are NOT on the Kenai Peninsula. It is a separate trip accessible only by plane.

Hi,

Thx for all your answers! We are disembarking on 6/21/08, so too early for bears! So at that time, which would you choose?

As much as I love Denali, I would probably suggest staying on the Kenai Peninsula. You arrive into Whittier, it requires less time to get to - you are on the Kenai Peninsula already. If you go to Denali, you have the mosquito problem near Wonder Lake and it is my opinion that if you are going all the way to Denali, you would be foolish not to go to Wonder Lake. I prepare for the mosquitos but many don't.

If you have 4 days/3 nights after your cruise I would probably do something like this. It really depends on how many people are traveling too.

day 1 get off cruise, Prince William Sound cruise in the afternoon, shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage (Alaska Leopard has a shuttle that also gives you a short tour along the way. Overnight Anchorage

day 2 pick up rental car, preferably not at the airport, drive to Seward, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center. Overnight Seward

day 3 six hour or more Kenai Fjords boat cruise. Overnight Seward

day 4 to Anchorage, drop off car at airport (no extra charge except if renting from Enterprise) and fly out.

You could get a taxi/shuttle from Whittier to Seward directly but it costs +-$200 I believe. If there are two of you that is expensive, if four that could be a bargain. With my plan above, it really would not save you much time because you are still taking the afternoon PWS cruise on day 1. You would have about 1/2 day more in Seward by going directly there.

Hi,

Thx for all your answers! We are disembarking on 6/21/08, so too early for bears! So at that time, which would you choose?

You absolutely are NOT too early for bears out of Denali Park.

But as to either area??? Both will offer you an excellent adventure. I myself, can not choose and go to both everytime I am there.

Perhaps, just pick one, and make your plans, rather, than trying to have answered, a question that has no answer. :)

I do not recommend going back and forth to Anchorage, if you don't need to. The above itinerary eats up valuable time, that could be better used in my opinion. IF you decide on the Kenai Peninsula- I would only recommend a one way Avis car, from Whittier with the drop off in Anchorage. This will allow you far more touring options and the ability to use your time more wisely, rather than wasting time transfering on buses, etc. It is worth the cost of your time for the costly rental car in my opinion.

I would then spend the first night in Seward, leave later the next day, then 2 in Homer, with a nice extended time getting there. http://www.kenaipeninsula.com

Archived