Opinion on HAL Dress Code

Happy HALer

What are your thought on the HAL dress code?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thought on the HAL dress code?

• Keep it as it is.
    • Go to resort casual.
    • Tank Tops & Flip Flops
    • ASW casual. Traditional as is.
    • Could not care less.

Might I suggest we discuss how much one should tip in the Pinnacle Grill?[ATTACH]53774[/ATTACH]

Or if one should tip the person delivering Room Service and if so, how much. Or perhaps we could speculate once again, on where the auto tips go, cause afterall, we all give the third degree to the Wait staff when we dine onshore.;)

I'm relatively indifferent. I care more about (1) people complying with the explicit dress code, whatever it might be, and (2) people graciously accepting other people wearing whatever they wish, as long as it complies with the explicit dress code.

As such, if relaxing the dress code will increase the overall rate of compliance with the dress code, I'm in favor of it. It's sort of like increasing the speed limit from 55 to 65. Sure, some people still speed even faster, but overall the extent of exceeding the speed limit has decreased, both in frequency and in terms of average speed in excess of the speed limit. I suspect what we're seeing with dress code changes will work the same way.

I think that is more likely than anything actually changing the extent to which people refuse to graciously accept other people wearing attire that is compliant but perhaps less formal than those critics' personal preferences. I wish there was some way of addressing that problem, which I think is more insidious, and actually the source of worse conflict.

I'm relatively indifferent. I care more about (1) people complying with the explicit dress code, whatever it might be, and (2) people graciously accepting other people wearing whatever they wish, as long as it complies with the explicit dress code.

This is exactly how I feel about it. Thank you bicker for saying it so well. :)

Might I suggest we discuss how much one should tip in the Pinnacle Grill?

Or if one should tip the person delivering Room Service and if so, how much. Or perhaps we could speculate once again, on where the auto tips go, cause afterall, we all give the third degree to the Wait staff when we dine onshore.;)

HappyinHaler, I vote for a poll on bringing your own booze versus purchasing from the ship...........:D :eek:

OK, now the public preference is clear:

We will have to have a poll on the topic of what we should have a poll on!!

>:-)

This would certainly satisfy me. In today's cultural environment, however, it would essentially require HAL to enforce the stipulations of the Code before it could come about; that would mean making certain people unhappy, and most Maitre D' and HMs are loath to do this due to the fits that often take place and the complaints that get lodged with Seattle. Indeed, it seems as though only "old school" Maitre D' and Hotel Managers ever bother to enforce the code these days, meaning that while it does still happen it is rare (I've seen it, or heard of it first-hand, being explicitly enforced only 5 times in 13 years of cruising aboard HAL ... including aboard the Noordam this last January).

If we talk about enforcement with regard to my #1 (the mechanisms for which are pretty obvious), let's first figure out how we would have them enforce my #2. Fairness is essential.

I agree, but I'm not sure how to do that. One is a matter of fact (which the line can measure and enforce), the other of opinion (which it relative and cannot be -- reasonably -- enforced by the line. What people do, or should do, is another matter!).

I mean ... if a guy is dressed in a jacket and tie, then according to HAL's dress code he is dressed "appropriately" and the Maitre D' should let him into the dining room. Period. However, that jacket might be pink and the tie yellow with green polka-dots ... which, in my eye, is a walking fashion disaster-area! :D However, as stated above, it is within the code and, so, if he wants to wear it then I say let him! :) If he's seated at my table I might have to wear sun-glasses in order to look at him, but I'll eat, and joke, and have a great time with him. In fact, if he dresses that way, I'm sure he's the kind of guy I'd like dining with (someone who is willing to adhere to the code but who doesn't take himself too seriously).

Just have to vent. I'm getting sick and tired of snarky remarks about the polls that fellow members of Cruise Critic set up. I'm also put off by the snide remarks made by some members of this HAL board regarding what they consider to be the non-pertinence or redundancy of topics such as Dress Code (wish it were even more formal), As You Wish Dining vs Traditional ( traditional main for us ), Cabin selection (midships for us), etc.

We have the choice of not reading the topic at all if we don't like the subject line, reading the topic and not replying, or replying.However if we do choose to reply, let us remember that there are many newbies on this board. Or, if some posters are not newbies, they don't necessarily all have or take the time to search the archives for previous posts on a particular topic, or, if they do, to read them all.

Not everyone is a member of the HAL CC (Holland Amercia Cruise Critic ) board clique who post to one another regularly, who know all the lingo, who do know what has or has not been posted on a particular topic and by whom, who know other cruisers" cruising history, etc.

I thought this board was open to everyone who chooses to become a member. I was under the impression that one could open a thread of his or her choice. So what if it's been belaboured to death according to some. If a particular topic comes up that means it IS of interest to someone. To reiterate, there is no reason to be sarcastic, ironic, huffy, impolite (add adjective of your choice).

Someone may say that I am posting a huffy remark myself. It's not huffy. It's a remark by someone who is irritated by the fact that we seem to be intolerant of those who have different ideas from us and, much too often, seem to disdain them and their opinions. It's the meld of ideas that makes for an interesting world. Plus a sense of humour and a smidgeon of plain common sense.

O.K. stepping down from my soapbox now. Actually, it's fun on my soapbox because when I'm on it I'm over 5 feet tall.

My husband *hates* to get dressed in a suit. Although we had brought a suit for him on our first cruise, the first formal day he 'lost' the daily program and it wasn't until it was too late that I noticed that it was formal night.

We had stopped eating in the regular dining room much anyway, but I can imagine that some of the rather opinionated folks assigned to our table would have been horrified if we had shown up in casual clothes.

I can understand why some people like to get dressed up, but it wasn't much fun being glared at because I was in a pant suit and not in a prom dress.

I'm planning another cruise in 8 months, but I haven't been able to convince my husband to come along yet.

O.K. stepping down from my soapbox now. Actually, it's fun on my soapbox because when I'm on it I'm over 5 feet tall.

My petite Cheerleader:

Do you think it possible the OP of this thread was having fun with the topic? Based upon his other posts, I think he is more than up to speed on the issues and not a stranger to these boards. He was the first to poke fun at his topic and the rest joined in and had fun too.

There have been 8-10 active threads on this topic, in the last week - perhaps a new record, for this or any board, no? The only way to balance this is to have an equal number of silly-dilly threads, poking fun at ourselves and otherwise just lightening it up a notch or two. I do not think anyone meant any harm to the Happy HALer.

Love,

The "Sturdy" Cheerleader :)

( who won't get on the soap box for fear of breaking it)

My petite Cheerleader:

Do you think it possible the OP of this thread was having fun with the topic? Based upon his other posts, I think he is more than up to speed on the issues and not a stranger to these boards. He was the first to poke fun at his topic and the rest joined in and had fun too.

There have been 8-10 active threads on this topic, in the last week - perhaps a new record, for this or any board, no? The only way to balance this is to have an equal number of silly-dilly threads, poking fun at ourselves and otherwise just lightening it up a notch or two. I do not think anyone meant any harm to the Happy HALer.

Love,

The "Sturdy" Cheerleader :)

( who won't get on the soap box for fear of breaking it)

Hey, it sure would be great if this were a "silly-nilly" post. I do know that there have been legions, myriads, scores, of posts on these topics. Think I've read all of them (well, maybe I missed a few). It must be sheer fatigue from reading all those posts that didn't allow me to clue in that the OP was making a tongue in cheek query.

And I love the name you call me. Is there a way I can change from Jocelysue?

Petite cheerleader is ever so much fun, and so much more me.

Ta, ta & Thanks,

Jocelysue (aka petite)

And I love the name you call me. Is there a way I can change from Jocelysue?

Petite cheerleader is ever so much fun, and so much more me.

Ta, ta & Thanks,

Jocelysue (aka petite)

OMG....as I was keying it in, I thought to myself, now there's a nice screen name. I don't think we can change our screen name but you could create a new one, "mapetitecheer".

Just have to vent. I'm getting sick and tired of snarky remarks about the polls that fellow members of Cruise Critic set up. I'm also put off by the snide remarks made by some members of this HAL board regarding what they consider to be the non-pertinence or redundancy of topics such as Dress Code (wish it were even more formal), As You Wish Dining vs Traditional ( traditional main for us ), Cabin selection (midships for us), etc.

We have the choice of not reading the topic at all if we don't like the subject line, reading the topic and not replying, or replying.However if we do choose to reply, let us remember that there are many newbies on this board. Or, if some posters are not newbies, they don't necessarily all have or take the time to search the archives for previous posts on a particular topic, or, if they do, to read them all.

Not everyone is a member of the HAL CC (Holland Amercia Cruise Critic ) board clique who post to one another regularly, who know all the lingo, who do know what has or has not been posted on a particular topic and by whom, who know other cruisers" cruising history, etc.

I thought this board was open to everyone who chooses to become a member. I was under the impression that one could open a thread of his or her choice. So what if it's been belaboured to death according to some. If a particular topic comes up that means it IS of interest to someone. To reiterate, there is no reason to be sarcastic, ironic, huffy, impolite (add adjective of your choice).

Someone may say that I am posting a huffy remark myself. It's not huffy. It's a remark by someone who is irritated by the fact that we seem to be intolerant of those who have different ideas from us and, much too often, seem to disdain them and their opinions. It's the meld of ideas that makes for an interesting world. Plus a sense of humour and a smidgeon of plain common sense.

Thanks for standing up for me Petite Rah Rah Girl. Very chivalrous of you, and not at all unappreciated. Don't listen to Hammy. She can't even make her pom pom work. rastanana.gif.a01e0a8d8f3705a89b22b60081841643.gif

Originally Posted by MercedMike viewpost.gif

Just have to vent. I'm getting sick and tired of snarky remarks about the polls that fellow members of Cruise Critic set up. I'm also put off by the snide remarks made by some members of this HAL board regarding what they consider to be the non-pertinence or redundancy of topics such as Dress Code (wish it were even more formal), As You Wish Dining vs Traditional ( traditional main for us ), Cabin selection (midships for us), etc. ....

Just have to vent. I'm getting sick and tired of snarky remarks about the feeble attempts at humor some fellow members of Cruise Critic set up. I'm also put off by the snide remarks made by some of the members of this HAL board regarding what they consider to be the non-pertinence or lack of humor in such attempts at being funny ...

>:-) <==== that's a Devilish grin ...

OK, stepping down from my soapbox now because I think I'm getting a little dizzy being at this unaccustomed height ...

:D:D

Are we going to turn this into a thread about soapboxes again? Last time, we got into a big fight about what color, size, kind of wood, etc.

And what about the KIND of soap that one finds inside!? Lifeboy or Palmolive?

Archived