Portland to Camden & Camden to Bar Harbor

TourDeCruise

Those of you who live in Maine or are very familiar with traveling in Maine might be able to help me.

In two weeks we go on our New England/Canada cruise. Our 1st port is Portland. My DH & I plan to rent a car to go to Camden to visit my aunt and uncle. How far of a drive is it from Portland to Camden? My aunt said around an hour and a half at the very most, but MapQuest says 1 hour 50 minutes and around 80 miles. It will be a Sunday in the summer. What time would you advise leaving Camden to return to Portland to avoid the weekend traffic going back to Portland? My aunt said the visitors leave around 5-6pm to go to points south, but I was thinking we should leave around 2-3pm judging from the traffic in our Delaware beach area.

Also, my aunt & uncle & my brother who will be visiting them may consider driving to Bar Harbor to spend the day with us. My aunt says it is a 3-hour drive each way from Camden to Bar Harbor. MapQuest says just over 2 hours each way and 77 miles. It will be a Monday in the summer.

I appreciate your information and advice!

Kathy

I would say that there guesses are pretty accurate. Driving the coastal route keep to Bar Harbor is about 2 hours, depending on the traffic, and Portland to Camden is about 1 1/2 hrs...same thing, depending on traffic. Traffic does ease up for the first couple of weeks in September, because the tourists are leaving for "back to school" then we have the leaf peepers after that.

Have a safe trip!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived