Rum Point

TITISSA

Is Rum Point worth visiting instead of 7 Miles Beach? We've done the day pass at the Hyatt twice and would like to try something new. I understand it takes about 1 hour to get to Rum Point from the ship. Do taxis take you there or should we rent a car. Thanks for any info.

I've never been to 7 mile beach, but I'm definitely an advocate for Rum Point. It is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my entire life. I thought I was walking into a postcard when we went. We are going back this October and I cannot wait.

Wow, is Rum Point Beach really that far from port? I don't know why, but I thought Rum Point and Seven Mile were one in the same :confused:

Yup, Rum Point is about 45 minutes drive from port, in the opposite direction as Seven Mile Beach. The only ways to get there are by rental car, taxi (expensive) or as part of a tour excursion.

I thought I read that there is a ferry available to Rum Point from the Hyatt Regency. Has anyone ever done that and can share info? Also, does anyone know if the buses run to Rum Point?

The ferry doesn't run anymore, and the buses only seem to run about once every hour or so. While it's technically possible to get there by bus, I personally wouldn't recommend it if you're only on the island for the usual few hours that the cruise lines seem to stop for... :( If you were doing a land stay and had plenty of time and no deadline, sure...take the bus. As a cruise visitor at a tender port? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me...

While it's technically possible to get there by bus...

That is really straining the point. The North Side bus route stops about 4 miles short of reaching Rum Point. You might could pay the driver to cover the extra distance... maybe, possibly, but I wouldn't even say "technically possible". Then making the return could be quite difficult.

To reach Rum Point, rent a car or book a package tour with Rum Point as a stop.

We also rented a car from Avis 2 years ago to drive to Rum Point. We had been to the Caymans before and had already seen the stingrays, turtles, Hell, etc. so I thought this would be something different to do. We really enjoyed it and I had read a post on CC before about a starfish beach close to Rum Point so we went there too. There were orange starfish all over the place!

We have been to the Cayman Islands 4 times.... trust me... RUM POINT.. IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL place you will ever see.. in my opinion... take pictures and show them to your friends.. they won't think they are real... that is how awesome it is..................... try it out.... we have been there a couple of ways.. once by jeep.. awesome.. got to see alot of the island.. and the second time.. via wave runners!!!!!! THE BEST!!!!!!!! most beautiful place I have ever seen... is Rum Point!! Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We also rented a car from Avis 2 years ago to drive to Rum Point. We had been to the Caymans before and had already seen the stingrays, turtles, Hell, etc. so I thought this would be something different to do. We really enjoyed it and I had read a post on CC before about a starfish beach close to Rum Point so we went there too. There were orange starfish all over the place!

Did you have to make a reservation at Avis beforehand and where is this starfish beach close to Rum Point? Thanks.

I would definately want to make a reservation first! It's been 2 years ago, but as I remember we walked from the pier to the right a block or so to some store where the car rental place picked us up. Just check Cayman car rentals on line to get all the current info. As for the starfish beach, I remember getting very specific directions from a CC poster about where to go to find the most starfish. Maybe you could search the CC boards for this. I do have the following map which gives you a general idea of the location.

1603904649_RumPointmap.jpg.9c29035c314f9b0036e751b61d3e9448.jpg

We have been to the Cayman Islands 4 times.... trust me... RUM POINT.. IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL place you will ever see.. in my opinion... take pictures and show them to your friends.. they won't think they are real... that is how awesome it is..................... try it out.... we have been there a couple of ways.. once by jeep.. awesome.. got to see alot of the island.. and the second time.. via wave runners!!!!!! THE BEST!!!!!!!! most beautiful place I have ever seen... is Rum Point!! Have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big, how did you get to Rum Point via Waverunners? We are interested in just going to Rum Point for the day and are trying to figure out the best way to get there.

I agree with the above poster- Rum Point IS one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It really is like a post card! We did the Waverunner/Stingray City tour with grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com.

We got a cab and went to the Grand Caymanian Resort to meet up with our guides, hopped on the waverunners and off we wend to Stingray City. The waverunners were a blast! The stingrays were awesome and kinda creepy at first but they are really gentle, beautiful creatures. Then, back on the waverunners and off to Rum Point. The only thing I regret is not having more time at Rum Point, we only had like 20 minutes there and that is in no way enough time! The only problem we had was getting a cab to come back to the resort to take us back to town. The resort is sort of 'out of town' and evidently the cab drivers don't really like to go there if they don't have to. We waited about 30 minutes for a cab, which cut into our Margaritaville time! :D All in all, it was a total blast and we would love to do it again. Grand Cayman is gorgeous!

100_0795.jpg.dd6281d668edcdf9d61ba617f9cb9d09.jpg

100_0796.jpg.140f93af5ff279a1c86ff0541eb43656.jpg

100_0776.jpg.e0079daff124abb51b763e43a6b1e714.jpg

I only know what is on the website, but WOW!!!

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com/GrandCaymanCarRentals.htm

For $65 (for a car that fits 6) they include insurance and pick you up right across the street from the pier. I've made our reservation :)

Will update after the trip. Note: They drive on the left, not the right.

DJ

Conquest Sept. 9, 2007

Archived