Just back from Freedom ...

Hey Jim. There was a midnight buffet on the second last night although it wasn't very well advertised in the Compass. We only heard about it from our waiter that night. It actually clashed with an "adults only" pool party by the solarium pool which was a BIG event so didn't make it there myself. It was held in the Windjammer - not the Dining Room as I have experienced on other cruises.

Hey Jim. There was a midnight buffet on the second last night although it wasn't very well advertised in the Compass. We only heard about it from our waiter that night. It actually clashed with an "adults only" pool party by the solarium pool which was a BIG event so didn't make it there myself. It was held in the Windjammer - not the Dining Room as I have experienced on other cruises.

That is better than when was on Freedom. When I sailed her, the buffet was held on the pool deck! Outside! It was really windy and not a good idea. Glad to hear they changed that.

They still also do a late pool buffet earlier in the cruise on "Surfs Up" night when they do dancing by the pool and the Flowrider and RockClimbing Wall are open till late. We were on late seating so by the time dinner finished, the last thing we wanted to do was eat again - however we did notice it wasn't too windy that night on deck. The buffet on the second last night is the "Gala Buffet" in the Windjammer which is where they display the more 'artistic' food - for photographs for the first 15 minutes, then eating.

Every night had some kind of theme eg Surfs Up, International Night, Captains Dinner, Crown and Anchor Dinner etc. Lobster was on the second formal night. I don't eat lobster, but my tablemates did and commented that it was a fairly small serve compared to Celebrity.

Also (another reference to dinners and themes) there is no Baked Alaska parade. It is on the menu on the last formal night, however our waiter told us for "safety reasons" they no longer perform the traditional parade. We could only imagine what went wrong to make them stop!

As for wear and tear - none at all. I have cruised many times and I must say I was very impressed with the cabin fitout on Freedom. In particular the bedding. VERY nicely appointed with crisp sheets and finally duvets that no only cover the entire bed but hang substantially over. No more cold feet during the night! The bed itself is super comfortable - definitely a step up from what you would normally expect on a ship.

Jim M, my family and I will also be sailing on the Freedom next weekend - Western Route. Do you have any teenagers in your group?

4 young adults (slightly over teenager) 25, 23, 22 and 20.

Lets hope the weather over the Cape Verde Islands poofs out!!

I'm also on Freedom next weekend. Did they change lobster night to the second formal night or is it different for the Eastern itinerary? I had read that the second formal night was Thursday and lobster night was Friday.

I was planning on skipping the second formal night, but DH loves lobster. Even if it's crappy cruiseline lobster. LOL.

I will definitely post a review soon. Just heading back to Australia so will do it when I get home!

The production shows were outstanding. They have really put a lot of effort into them and it has paid off. Don't miss "Once Upon A Time" - a twist on fairy tales using modern songs. Very innovative and an excellent show. The ice show is, as usual, amazing.

The CD at the moment is Becky Thomson. I have to say - the BEST CD i have ever encountered. She is a bundle of energy and a great laugh. She is very friendly and definitely made the cruise extra-special.

I had a balcony stateroom - Deck 6 on the hump. Perfect location - PERFECT. Easy access to just about everywhere.

We were on the FOS July 29 on the Eastern itinerary. Lobster night was Friday night. The second Formal night was Thursday. We missed "Once upon a Time" and out tablemates said it was awesome. The shows in the Promenade are a lot of fun. I am still amazed about Becky. She has incredible energy and talent.

I will definitely post a review soon. Just heading back to Australia so will do it when I get home!

The production shows were outstanding. They have really put a lot of effort into them and it has paid off. Don't miss "Once Upon A Time" - a twist on fairy tales using modern songs. Very innovative and an excellent show. The ice show is, as usual, amazing.

The CD at the moment is Becky Thomson. I have to say - the BEST CD i have ever encountered. She is a bundle of energy and a great laugh. She is very friendly and definitely made the cruise extra-special.

I had a balcony stateroom - Deck 6 on the hump. Perfect location - PERFECT. Easy access to just about everywhere.

Thanks, I'll definetly have to see Once Upon a Time. I can't wait to go on the Freedom.

Newkim,Guess we will be on the Freedom same time you are on, Aug 26, is that when you be on board?, have a great time we might meet one another at the MM.

yes we are leaving the 26th, so I guess we are on the same cruise. We just booked last week as a last minute vacation before school starts. Not sure of any of the MM details. I should go and seek out that info.

Archived