Domestic Luggage Allowances - Size Question

ShamrockFL

I've gone back through some of the earlier threads reagarding luggage on domestic flights in Oz and have read the various comments about Qantas and Virgin Blue etc. However, the issue of size rather than weight doesn't seem to have been addressed. Aside from the weight restrictions, has anyone ever come close to being charged because their suitcase is barely over the allowed size?

I belive the limit is 54 inches. We have cases that measure 56". Is that likely to be a problem or do we need to go purchase some new ones? We are travelling on both Qantas and Virgin Blue. The weight situation is interesting - I went through the exercise of weighing luggage that we already have and some of them are as much as 15lbs, while others come in around 10 or 11 lbs. 4 /5 lbs may not seem like a lot, but with such a small allowance to start with, every lb counts, and to give up 15 just for the suitcase is a lot. I would appreciate hearing any experiences with the size issue.

I know that Qantas allows you up to 30kg when travelling Domestic. For a couple of inches in size, I am sure that they will not worry. Just make sure you come in just under the 30kg which is 66lbs.

If you have an International ticket and are using Qantas to get to a further destination they allow two bags as well, though on International you are only allowed 20kg which is 44lbs for each case. eg. We returned from Hawaii in June to Sydney and then had to fly on to Melbourne. We were allowed the two bags each on that Domestic flight.

Jennie

I think they are unlikely to say anything about the size but make sure you keep within the weight restrictions. Its not hugely oversized, so if something is said be very apologetic and plead ignorance.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are flying within Australia having had an International flight you are allowed luggage sizes/weight from the international restrictions. We flew Delta from JFK to LAX then Qantas to Brisbane. Then Brisbane to Sydney to Adelaide to Melbourne. Melbourne to LAX then back to Delta to JFK. And had no issues with baggage. Their international limit was 70 lbs, while their domestic was 50 lbs. We were allowed to fly at around 66-68 lbs without any additional charges.

Laura

If you are flying within Australia having had an International flight you are allowed luggage sizes/weight from the international restrictions.
Technically, I think this is only true if your domestic travel within Australia is written on the same ticket as your international travel, ie you are making a true connection. If your international travel is on one ticket, and your domestic travel is on a different ticket, then technically you are not connecting (even if you are going straight from one flight to the next) and so the rule doesn't apply. But many airlines will allow passengers the indulgence as a matter of discretion, anyway.

Technically, I think this is only true if your domestic travel within Australia is written on the same ticket as your international travel, ie you are making a true connection. If your international travel is on one ticket, and your domestic travel is on a different ticket, then technically you are not connecting (even if you are going straight from one flight to the next) and so the rule doesn't apply. But many airlines will allow passengers the indulgence as a matter of discretion, anyway.

We were told by the Qantas rep (at LAX) to have proof of our international travel with us. We did not go from one flight to the next in a true connection. We were there over the course of 18 days with multiple nights in each city. While the flights had one confirmation number they were on separate tickets.

From Qantas site:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageChecked

Before travel, check the baggage allowances with the applicable carrier. This includes codeshare partner flights, that is, flights with a QF number operated by another carrier.

^ If your itinerary includes a flight to/from or via the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada, you are entitled to two pieces (one piece for infants) of checked baggage on all Qantas and QantasLink operated flights within your itinerary,# regardless of whether these flights appear on the same or a separate ticket. You will be required to provide proof of your international ticket at check-in indicating travel to/from or via the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada.

# Valid for the duration of your international ticket, or up to a maximum of 12 months from the date of the first flight to/from the USA, US Territories, Tahiti, South America or Canada – whichever date falls first.

* Total dimensions are measured by adding together the width, height and depth of the bag.

We were told by the Qantas rep (at LAX) to have proof of our international travel with us.
That's the sort of thing that I would expect of Qantas. But other airlines operating domestic flights in Australia may not be as generous. Unless I've missed it, I can't see any exceptions like that on the Virgin Blue website, for example.

Thanks for all the input folks. It does appear to be a bit confusing and apparently a lot is up to the agent at check in. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how we might fare out with this arrangement.

USAir frequent flyer miles ticket 1st class travel on United from US to Sydney. 10 days later Virgin Blue coach Brisbane to Cairns. Then Quantas coach Cairns to Ayre's Rock and Quantas coach from there to Melbourne. From there, Virgin Blue coach back to Sydney. All flights were booked separately. Where should we load up on purchases - Sydney airport on the way back.;) ;)

The Sydney airport has some great shopping;) I waited until Melbourne and was sad because the selections weren't as large as Sydney. I still got some good stuff though!!

I would contact Virgin Blue, explain what flights you are on, and ask them what their policy is. You can email them from their website or he phone numbers are listed.

Laura

I think our airport is very reasonable for perfume and makeup. I don't know about clothing because I have never bothered to buy anything like that but I usually find there are some good specials on perfume.

We were in Sydney International Airport in June and I didn't think it was that much better than here.

Jennie

Surely that depends on what you are looking for;). I noticed a larger selection in Sydney and then was kicking myself for not getting it there. Also I should mention the item was in the same shop, just in different locations, and they were having a sale.

I am not saying the Melbourne airport didn't offer a lot, they just didn't have exactly what I was looking for.

Laura

Archived