Be warned!

Was at BWI this weekend, and we had to walk from the train to Southwest, which is pretty far down the concourse. My husband and I were amazed at how many unclaimed bags there were. It was scary!

Yes it's amazing how many people forget their bags and just leave them at the airport.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Locks___TagsLA311?Args=&refchan=Search I just ordered these luggage tags from Magellan's.com You can put your itinerary inside. However, tags are worthless if agents rip them off. (In one of the reviews, it says to replace the fastener with one of the plastic loops that are standard on many luggage tags.) Spray painting luggage with name and phone number is sounding like a better and better idea. In fact, I think I'll go to a craft store and pick up some of the paint pens with the permanent ink. We went through the lost bag ordeal this summer so I am very sympathtic with your frustration. Ours finally showed up after 5 days. Thank you, Air Canada. Boo hiss to Northwest Airlines!

Airlines all give you baggage insurance, it's included in the cost of your fare. The coverage amount is usually up to a couple thousand dollars. You can read the airline's Contract of Carriage for exact amounts and claim policies.

Thanks for the info and I did check with AA. It's weird but for domestic flights it covers up to 3000 pp but for international, it's something like $9 per Kg - less than $400 per bag! I read it several times.

Anybody know of any supplemental trip insurance other than what is offered by RCCL? :confused:

Thanks!

Try insuremytrip.com for travel insurance. I've used the TravelEx plan with $2500 in lost baggage coverage and $500 for delayed baggage. I have never had to file a claim. I did feel better knowing I had extra coverage but was happy I didn't have to replace my clothes.

Lots of problems in Europe with lost bags. Both ours and our traveling companion's were delayed last year. Fortunately, we went into Barcelona a day early and they caught up with us before the ship departed. But many people were picking up their luggage at ports well into the cruise.

Thanks for the tips...I am already planning how to make my bags glow in the dark with my name and address for our cruise next year! Of course I will have to buy suitcases.... Yes, you are correct what is offered for an international flight is not half as much as domestic....I am going to see what the airline does for me, and then go from there. I thought the policy I had with American Express included lost luggage, but it is only for trip delay and items you might need if you are on your trip and your luggage is late. Yes, I am grateful it didn't happen before our cruise, but as much as I would like to be happy about that, this is darn right depressing!

Its now 16 days and I just called for an update, of course there was none. I have exhausted every avenue that I know, and even got some advice from the guy from Lonely Planet, and basically there is nothing more I can do...and Yes I thought about flying back to Rome, but that is just not feasible... Thanks again for your support and tips...

They are much appreciated!!

That is awful. Hope you somehow get them back.

6000 bags lost at Heathrow? One more reason not to fly into Heathrow. I hate that airport. I usually try to go into Gatwick when I go to London. It is further, but still only a 30 minute train ride away from Victoria Station and much less hassle.

and how do they put a price on irreplaceable items...a purse from my mom who is gone now, the only comfortable pairs of shoes I have after suffering a nerve problem in my foot, and so much more.

I have been given no choice but to put a claim in after 21 days, although they say that they may still find my bags... Its a terrible feeling everytime I go to reach for something and realize I don't have it anymore.

I know that feeling. ;) We had a house fire several years ago and just yesterday, I thought about something that I realized must have been lost in the fire. :(

I know that feeling. ;) We had a house fire several years ago and just yesterday, I thought about something that I realized must have been lost in the fire. :(

I am not even in the same league as that, that must have been devastating!

the problems is BAD. I''m terrified for my parents who are leaving on a med. cruise in November and will be sailing from Barcelona and arriving in Rome (they live in NJ). plus, they have a stop-over in Milan, Italy before arriving in Spain... ouch!

I'm going to be giving them tips posted here, like placing their identification info inside the bags.

Hi, We have always put our information on the inside of each bag including carryons. I don't see how that could help when there is a pile with thousands of unclaimed bags that no one has time to deal with. Especially if the workers are throwing contents over the fence. I would think that practice could be stopped in a heatbeat. How many fences could there possibly be in the baggage area and wouldn't it look odd to at least one person when they see a fellow employee walking away with bags. :eek:

the problems is BAD. I''m terrified for my parents who are leaving on a med. cruise in November and will be sailing from Barcelona and arriving in Rome (they live in NJ). plus, they have a stop-over in Milan, Italy before arriving in Spain... ouch!

I'm going to be giving them tips posted here, like placing their identification info inside the bags.

We always always put our info inside our bags. Including our cell phone numbers.

Now, this is different, not so much a lost bag as a forgotten bag...lol

years ago (about 10) we went to disneyworld first, then drove down to miami to pick up our cruise. Well on our way home we forgot one bag. To show you how much I used to overpack for 1 week at disney, 1 week on the ship. I had no idea the bag was even missing until carnival ups'd it to me about 2 weeks later...lol Of course it comes COD and I was like, what??? to the ups guy. I didn't order anything COD....lol

I think that trip we had about 8 suitcases. I learned to not overpack. Besides my husband said, if I took that much again that I didn't even realize I was missing an entire suitcase filled with clothes that we were not going on any long vacations anymore :o Funny the bag had mostly my clothes in it too. You'd think I would've realized as I was unpacking. But I guess because it was winter here in ny and I had mostly summer clothes in the bag I never realized it. Of course, 3 kids, getting ready for christmas, working, school sort of makes you lose your mind...that was my excuse anyway confused0024.gif

Well, they now consider my bags lost forever! I am submitting many receipts...thankfully I procrastinated in my shreading old bills etc...I had a letter published in my local paper to the editor......This really is a crime the airlines are getting away with!

Thanks for your good thoughts!

Swiss Army makes a luggage tag that has GPS in it. You register it online when you get it and then if your bag goes missing they can look it up. Maybe put the luggage tag in the suitcase instead so it can't be ripped off. At least that way you would know it was in a pile somewhere.

Thanks for the warning.

phone call at 8am....luggage service.....found one bag will be delivered later today.::::::other bag still on vacation::::::::::dancing::::::

That's great news, I sure hope it is the one with your special handbag :)

Don't just blame the baggage handlers, though! I always put 2 luggage tags (with our itinerary tucked in behind) and a luggage strap on our suitcases. The conveyor belts can be brutal. We had a case that lost both nice leather luggage tags plus the strap, the bag had not been opened for inspection. We waited until almost all bags had been removed, we didn't recognize our bag, but I became curious about a piece that looked like ours.

I now remove the leather buckle from the tags and replace it with cable ties, 2 of them on each tag and I cinch them down so they aren't hanging loose. A couple of our nicer suitcases actually have the luggage tag that slides out from the bag, the tag holder is sewn to the bag.

I type up our itinerary, reduce it and make a copy for each luggage tag and one in every suitcase, carry on and my purse. I'm hopeful there are still honest people in the world!

Just a suggestion, cross pack with your travel partner so you still have some clothes if one case goes missing, or when you return home you still have some of your things. Anything precious should be in your carry on, or if you can't bear to lose it, leave it home.

If you have purchased travel insurance, it has luggage protection included. I'm sure you can buy increased value.

So glad to hear one bag is returning home. We put personal info inside our bags.

Also...we pack some of DH's clothes in my bag, and some of my clothes in DH's bag, basically mixing it all up. Also, some casual and some dressy in both bags for both of us. Just in case one is lost, I still have some stuff, instead of nothing.

All our luggage was lost on our recent cruise. It eventually caught up with us in Santorini after having travelled from Glasgow to Gatwick to Venice to Rome to Athens to Santorini. Venice airport was a nightmare with lost bags. It took us 2 and a half hours to report the bags as missing. We have luggage straps which have our names woven into them and we also have our details inside as well as on the labels. When we got our cases they hadn't been open and had security ties on them.

An airline baggage claim person told me that in Rome, there are many unhappy workers, and that they are pulling tags off of bags just to cause trouble, and right now there are anywhere between 3000 and 4000 bags "lost" there. Another person chimed in about London that its even worse there with over 6000 bags lost.

I don't care what labor disputes are occuring or what country these actions take place in -- deliberately losing a customer's belongings, which in turn causes financial and emotional harm to the customer, should carry criminal penalties. That is just as bad, IMO, as opening luggage and removing items.

We use multicolored security straps around our bags to make them more secure and to help identify them to us. They also have a slot for a name/address label in addition to putting tags on the handles. We also put a large tag and itinerary on the inside to identify the bag as ours.

We leave the end of Sept on our Cruise. I am just grateful that we'll avoid both Heathrow (London) and Rome airports.

Hopefully the airports that we will arrive at will not be so careless with our bags.

I am more worried about luggage woes on this upcoming trip than anything else combined. :(

Some credit cards still offer lost luggage insurance if you purchased the ticket with their card. It's a long shot, but it might be worth exploring as an option...

yea, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but if you paid for your cruise/air through American express they have automatic insurance on your luggage for delay and loss.

I think the airline has to give you $50 a day for each day it's lost.

Sorry if it's been covered...lots of posts.

This is not correct, British Airways is an airline not an airport operator. The problem with Heathrow is that the owner BAA is allowing too many airlines to operate in and how and the airport simply cannot cope with the volume of baggage and passengers. Shame of it is that British Airways are always blamed but it is the responsibility of the airport operator to provide correct baggage belts, aircraft stands etc. Leave poor old British Airways alone, it is a great airline.

I hope it is the bag with the purse. Also, if this hasn't been mentioned, everyone check and make sure the luggage you pick up is yours!! Our luggage was delayed this summer in Vancouver because someone took it home (luckily the airport held on to theirs) so they were motivated to return ours! Obviously it was a simple mistake but there really didn't look identical ours. My DH would love the spray paint idea!!

Archived