"Code of Cordiality"...found this interesting.

MamaParrotHead

Browsing through msnbc.com this morning and found this "list of guidelies". I thought it to be quite accurate and helpful, wondered what everyone else thought of it, LOL.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19832086/

In a nutshell, the author suggest air travelers subscribe to the following guidelines when travelling by air, and thus make everyone's flight much more pleasant.

Think they can post these near each entrance of an airport? :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20280805/

If only we could get the airlines & their employees to follow it as well.

No more:

- overbooking

- blaming weather for every concievable delay so they're not responsible

- rude flight attendants

- not telling us the truth of how long it will be for the inbound plane to arrive (updating things in 15 minute increments when we know it'll be 4 hours is not being up front with us)

- keep to their published schedule (why do they charge us $100 if we want to change our schedule but they can change theirs at will with no comepnsation to what it does to our schedules)

- stop nickle & diming us

- give seats with adqueate cushioning and leg room - flying shouldn't be comfortable only for those 3 feet tall & shorter.

I could keep going on & on, but I won't.

You will never get most people to agree to the "rules". Same as the dress codes on cruise lines. Some just think it's their "RIGHT" to be as disorderly and irritating as possible.

Just returned Sunday on a nonstop JFK/LAX flight. First class, AA. People behind me had two kids-one on each side of the aisle. Almost the ENTIRE 6+ hour flight, the parents allowed the kids to play on the floor. Under the seats, across the aisle, kicking my seat, banging into my seat. The FA asked the people to please contain the kids, the pax asked the parents to contain the kids. The parents got VERY nasty-"what do you want the kids to do during this LONG flight", "they don't like the movie", "they are not bothering anyone". The FA REPEATEDLY asked them to control the kids. The parents got mouthy-the Captain was called. They got even mouthier-to the tune of "do you know who we are?" (sure didn't look familiar to me).

I finally got up and moved to an empty seat in the back of the plane. I at least was fed in the back of the plane (really po'd a lot of coach passengers). And had some peace and quiet. I wish I had gone back up front before the plane landed to find out if there was someone waiting to speak to this unruly family. But I was in no hurry, so spent the time talking to the FA's waiting to deplane. My letter to AA customer relations went in the mail Monday.

More and more people act like this family-I see it EVERY time I fly (27 flights, totaling over 71,000 miles so far in 2007)

Like a shot. I'd agree to it. Funny thing, I didn't see my own pet peeve mentioned either in the code or here.

My pet peeve (and I can feel the flames starting now!) is people who bring gigantic carry on luggage. Yeah, yeah. I know, I know. You're afraid the airline will lose it. You don't want to wait for it in baggage claim. Whatever.

I've got no quarrel with folks who bring reasonably size carry ons that they can lift by themselves, but I'm really sick of waiting forever to get off a plane while somebody tries to wrestle some bohemith thingy that they can't begin to control out of the overhead bins.

If it's too big to fit in easily or you can't easily lift it over your own head, then check the dang thang!

And the flames begin ....

When I boarded a flight home to ORD 3 weeks ago, as I boarded I asked the FA if this was "the Happy flight home to Chicago" as I wanted to rebook if it was the "Unhappy flight to Chicago" People around me chuckled as the FA said "It will certainly be the Happy flight because I am well medicated and properly balanced!"

As it turns out we ended up on the runway for 2.5 hours, but were kept reasonibly informed by the pilot. They told us its OK to phone your loved ones to let them know we were delayed. Everyone just toughed it out, we got a round of H2O and finally took off and got home.

As we waited to deplane, the FA looked at our several rows and said "It is so nice to be on a flight where people understand I don't have control over the weather".

Moral to story is... don't know, but sometimes a lack of drama trumps all the p***ing and moaning in the world.

No flames from me ... if so many pax didn't tote seemingly everything they own, including the kitchen sink, in their carryon, it wouldn't take 30 mnutes to board 125 people. If one cannot stow his/her crap in the overhead, unassisted, the FA should confiscate and gate check it. No way should the FA volunteer for a hernia by wrangling big and overweight bags into the overhead. Further, we generally are in the last boarding group, as we select seats near the front ... told my husband if there isn't room for our measly little bag, take out the biggest bag in the overhead and place it in the aisle and the FA will have to deal with it. Fair? Maybe not ... but being space hogs isn't fair either.

Personally, I don't understand why the airlines do not enforce the clear policies for size/weight/numbers of carryons. They certainly have no problems charging for excess numbers or weight of checked bags.

Flames, anyone?

No flame from me either... The second part of my rant is with people who need to "get all situated" while blocking others from getting down the aisle. "I need my laptop,my book , my bottled water, my kids need coloring books, and gameboys and 10 games to choose from... I need pillows and blankets"

For gosh sakes, in 20 minutes the captain will turn off the seatbelt sign and you can easily grab all that crap at that time...Just get seated, pick one thing you want to do during the first 20 minutes, get it ready during preboarding and sit the **** down!!!

Archived