Received docs for 9/23 cruise on the Danube

MomC

We received our docs yesterday. I also got a CD showcasing the Amadeus experience in the mail several days earlier. It looks wonderful.

We plan to do two of the optional excursions in Prague--the trip to the WWII prison camp and the folkoric dinner and show. Anyone done these? Reactions?

Then on our free night we plan to take in a performance of an opera at the National Theatre. We are not big opera fans, but I guess the opera house itself is incredible. The Czeck company is singing the opera so the words will be in English right about the stage. I have the website to order the tickets if anyone is intersted.

I know that we will be pleased with everything about this trip. WE always enter a cruise with high expectations, but realize the food and service can be pretty subjective. Unless it tastes bad, we will enjoy the food--if we need to order more than one entree we will.

I am a travel agent with over 30 cruises under my belt--I have see the good, the bad and the ugly--and found parts to enjoy on all of them. Attitude is the key to enjoying life--why should a cruise be any different. A smile and a great attitude have always gotten me anything I wanted on a ship. Just a word of advice for those who are beating up the cruise line about the food and service.

Mom C

Mom C., what a great attitude. We wholeheartedly agree. We are on the cruise right before yours (Amalegro...Budapest to Prague) and got our docs the other day also. Can't wait. We'll take the food as it is and plan, like you, to have an incredible journey. This is our first river cruise and first trip to Eastern Europe. Have a great trip. Linda & Larry

Hi Mom C,

You have a great attitude. Negativity only brings on more of the same.

Wishing all of you a wonderful time! Please post upon your return and share your experiences with us.

Bon Voyage!

We were on the Amadagio Amsterdam to Budapest. We went in with a great attitude of expectation, we travelled through wonderful countryside with a wonderful attitude of awe, and finish our cruise with the attitude of doing it again as soon as we can. In fact, we have begun to look at cruises from St. Petersburg to Moscow next year. We can hardly wait!

Buck

What time did you disembark in Budapest. Need to make taxi arrangements to hotel for group of 10. Thanks.

Let the ship call cabs for you.You won't get ripped off as they have companies they always use,at least Avalon does. They put a sheet up for people to sign up who wanted a cab the day before we disemabarked. You put on the sheet your destination,time you wanted the taxi and number of people,your name and cabin number. The taxi company came the night before ,took the sheet and had the cabs there all morning at the requested time. When the driver would show up he had already been assigned a particular passenger.Most of us who were going to hotels had a leisurely breakfast and sat around in the lounge untill we had to be off the ship at 10:00 AM.

Those who had their transfers included to the airport were bussed their evry hour or so starting at about 5:00 AM. Everything went very smoothly.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned on the Amalegro cruise - Prague to Budapest. The highlight for us was a concert at the Rudolfinum Concert Hall one block from the President Hotel. A String ensemble, The Parnas Ensemble, played what turned out to be a "Greatest Hits" concert that included pieces from Mozart, Bach, and Vivaldi. The funny part was how we bought the tickets. We'd been approached by a young man as we walked along the Vlata River after dinner and he told us about the concert taking place on Saturday evening. He gave us his name and said we could buy tickets to the performance from a young woman who had set up a card table in front of the building. He would get credit for the sale if we used his name. We were pretty skeptical at first but found out that is how they sell advance tickets and how some of the locals make some extra money.

We also did a concert in Vienna through Amadeus. I'd recommend doing that if just for ride through Vienna in the evening - it's beautiful. The concert featured a full chamber orchestra and 4 opera singers and was very good. We did two other optional tours: the Czech dinner in Prague and the trip to an abbey and brewery in Regensburg. The dinner was fun but I wish we had just stayed in Regensburg and done it on our own.

We are excited about this trip--our first ever river trip. Thanks for the tips about the concert and the excursions.

One question: Did you get the currency needed for Prague and Budapest before leaving home--because they do not use the Euro? At the airport? What recommendations would you have about that?

Are the optional excursions in Prague charged to our credit card or are we expected to pay in cash?

I appreciate your help with these questons.

Mom C

We are excited about this trip--our first ever river trip. Thanks for the tips about the concert and the excursions.

One question: Did you get the currency needed for Prague and Budapest before leaving home--because they do not use the Euro? At the airport? What recommendations would you have about that?

Are the optional excursions in Prague charged to our credit card or are we expected to pay in cash?

I appreciate your help with these questons.

Mom C

We used ATM's that are very close to the President Hotel in Prague. In Budapest we didn't exchange for any of their money. We were not there long enough to justify getting their "funny" money, as the tour guide called it. Some shops actually do accept the Euro in these places. The excursions were added to the credit card that Amadeus had on file with us.

Archived