Art Auction review

I went to the art auctions about the Dawn Princess that sailed 7/20. While I thought the auctioneer left something to be desired (he came off as kind of arrogant); I enjoyed the art, learning about the artists, and talking to fellow passengers. I fell in love with a print (San Francisco by Ken Hawk) at the first auction, made a bid, and won!!!! (this was just the print, not the mat or frame). I was told it would be shipped 6-8 weeks after the cruise ended. Within two weeks, I had an email stating that my print was being shipped that day. It arrived within a week of Princess mailing it. I was very impressed with the heavy duty cardboard tubing, inside packaging, and condition of the print. With this successful first time buying something in an auction, I definitely would not hesitate to buy something that catches my eye.

We have bought pieces on our last two cruises, but even if we hadn't, it would be worth it just to go for the free champagne.:D It's fun and educational, and it's amazing to see what some people will spend.

I am sure Princess also enjoys the profits from you art purchases. The art auctions have become a major profit center for all the mass market cruise lines. Makes you wonder when they have to cover the cost of putting all the art on-board, paying the auctioneer, etc...and they still make lots of money.

Hank

We have bought pieces on our last two cruises, but even if we hadn't, it would be worth it just to go for the free champagne.:D It's fun and educational, and it's amazing to see what some people will spend.

I love my art purchases! The champagne is usually poor, but if you mix it with oj (you can get on the soda card!) it makes a nice afternoon mimosa!:)

.....the bid thing baffles me........I have never seen people bid against each other. The "Auction" established the base price and.........whoever "bids" on it......gets it.......not much of an "auction".

IMHO anything free on a cruise these days is something to write home about!!!

I can agree with that statement. Being an art lover, I go to the auctions many times, have some free champagne, but I don't ever buy any of it. My problem is that I have made a carreer of making "Multiple Originals" and don't find that to be true art. Now you can argue that point, but anything that is considered art, and sold at those prices!!!, (wow) should be more than just a silscreen print.

The best art is Street art. Original watercolors and oils bought from selling there work on the streets of cities arround the world. Whe I see something really good, I'll buy it, sometimes very cheap, sometimes not, take it home and frame it , (ususally costing far more for the frame than the art itself). I not only love the work, but get to talk with the artist, and get a real flavor of the city I am visiting.

Figuring all the cruise ships with virtually the same art and all those charitable land auctions all operated by one or 2 companies it blows me away to think that an artist could create that many originals. Most look like computor generated prints to me and someone pencils in the artists signature or even that is a reproduction. Listen to the words the auctioneer uses and you'll find that they call prints or copies by many different names. If I'm going to drink champagne, I will pay for it and get genuine champagne and not a poor facimile as a glass of some swill with bubbles.

I hate to admit this publicly but we got caught at our first onboard art auction last month on the Crown. My own fault - wandered into the art auction on first day, had some swill with bubbles and was surprised at how high the starting prices were for most pieces - all of which were met with no bids. Auctioneer then started one at $1 and bidding reached $45. Auctioneer asked who was still interested at $45, 5 of us had our hands up and he says "Great news, you can all have one at that price". This dumbo thought he was bidding on an original rather than a numbered print. While I am sure the auctioneer was careful not to call it an original, I am also sure he didn't say it was a print or any of the other more obvious terms for a facsimile representation of an original artwork. I wouldn't call this a ruse or scam as I could easily have protected myself from it. Needless to say we bought our own champagne and avoided art auctions for the rest of the cruise.

Anyway, at least the lesson only cost me about $100 (with shipping and premium etc) and maybe it will arrive soon - which will be good because I have no recollection of what it looked like either.

Anyone want to buy a copy of a picture of something by someone for $200 (shipping extra)?

quote=JhawktxI would. The art sold on cruise ships is junk.

Is this just your oppinion or do you have an art background? I do, and not everything is junk, although IMO, it does depend on the ship.

.....the bid thing baffles me........I have never seen people bid against each other. The "Auction" established the base price and.........whoever "bids" on it......gets it.......not much of an "auction".

On our Peter Max original there was some bidding going on.

When they have litho's etc they can offer more than one at the same pric so not much of an 'auction'.

I would. The art sold on cruise ships is junk.

You need to know your art and not get caught up in the moment.

I have seen Norman Rockwells go onboard for $45000.00. Dealers and collectors track the pieces and cruise especially to get these and know there stuff.

If you are buying a piece for $100 you surely know that it is not going to be an original 'anything' :D

You could buy every issue of the Saturday Evening Post and get every one of his pictures and a lot to read on your cruises. I thought only George Bush thought Rockwell a great artist. And how many hundreds of the Peter Max pieces are churned out by the kids running his printing press? It's better than forging $20 bills for him.

I have seen several bidders for one piece. I knew going in this one, that it was a numbered print. While in Sitka, I did buy one numbered print that I love and one original piece. I am definitely not an art expert but go by what my art professor told us "buy what you like". Looking around my home, I have done just that, and have no regrets. As for buying original all the time: I can't afford to do that and besides, there is some pretty awful original art out there that I wouldn't feed my cat from. Just because it is original doesn't make it good.

I have seen several bidders for one piece. I knew going in this one, that it was a numbered print. While in Sitka, I did buy one numbered print that I love and one original piece. I am definitely not an art expert but go by what my art professor told us "buy what you like". Looking around my home, I have done just that, and have no regrets. As for buying original all the time: I can't afford to do that and besides, there is some pretty awful original art out there that I wouldn't feed my cat from. Just because it is original doesn't make it good.

I agree, buy what you like and what you would enjoy seeing on your walls everyday and they are great reminders of our trips.

We have met many cruise friends at the art auctions and bought some great pieces. Our walls are full now so we will not buy unless it is something special. I chuckle when I think of the Peter Max prints I bought in the 1970's for less than 300.00 frammed. I have sold a couple of them for some serious dollars. Some other pieces that we have bought on the ships are appearing in land galleries and selling for highly appreciated prices. If you like the art, buy it, it will bring years of pleasure.

quote=LoveThisCruisingThingI have seen several bidders for one piece. I knew going in this one, that it was a numbered print. While in Sitka, I did buy one numbered print that I love and one original piece. I am definitely not an art expert but go by what my art professor told us "buy what you like". Looking around my home, I have done just that, and have no regrets. As for buying original all the time: I can't afford to do that and besides, there is some pretty awful original art out there that I wouldn't feed my cat from. Just because it is original doesn't make it good.

Excellent point. I would much rather have a reproduction of something I love than an original that I don't. Too bad, there seems to be a few people on this thread who want to spoil the fun for those who enjoy the art auctions. Your professor was wise - art should be something that you enjoy and shouldn't be dependant on another persons taste. Hopefully, people buy what they like and don't get caught up in the moment and buy a piece as an investment unless they know what they are doing.

quote=LoveThisCruisingThingI have seen several bidders for one piece. I knew going in this one, that it was a numbered print. While in Sitka, I did buy one numbered print that I love and one original piece. I am definitely not an art expert but go by what my art professor told us "buy what you like". Looking around my home, I have done just that, and have no regrets. As for buying original all the time: I can't afford to do that and besides, there is some pretty awful original art out there that I wouldn't feed my cat from. Just because it is original doesn't make it good.

Excellent point. I would much rather have a reproduction of something I love than an original that I don't. Too bad, there seems to be a few people on this thread who want to spoil the fun for those who enjoy the art auctions. Your professor was wise - art should be something that you enjoy and shouldn't be dependant on another persons taste. Hopefully, people buy what they like and don't get caught up in the moment and buy a piece as an investment unless they know what they are doing.

One of the things I love is when the art arrives framed and ready to go straight on the wall:D It is great and way better than having to go decide on a frame and pay mega $$ to get it framed and schlepped home:eek:

You're right about frame prices - they're in the stratosphere when you start framing large pieces. I bought my husband a signed limited edition Ohio State print for Xmas and the frame, acid free mat, and archival glass ended up costing me twice the price of the print. :eek:

Archived