River Cruising in Oct/Nov/Dec period What to expect?

jrowland

We are thinking about taking advantage of the cost savings for a European River cruise around Oct/Nov or Dec time frame (Considering a Amsterdam - Budapest route (or reverse) ).

Having never been to Europe before we wanted to find out what we might expect taking a cruise during this period. I realize can't predict the weather but do have some general questions that hopefully someone who has cruised during this time period might be able to offer some advice.

1. Average temperatures we might encounter. Concerned that weather would not allow us to sit on deck to view the scenery and be forced to sit inside while we cruise.

2. The cruise itself could be hampered by snow/ice/winds that would not be able to proceed via the waterways

3. Extreme temperatures could result in cancellation of excursions and/or damper the enjoyment of the excursions.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated in helping us to decide on the best time to schedule or first European River Cruise!

Jeff

We are thinking about taking advantage of the cost savings for a European River cruise around Oct/Nov or Dec time frame (Considering a Amsterdam - Budapest route (or reverse) ).

Having never been to Europe before we wanted to find out what we might expect taking a cruise during this period. I realize can't predict the weather but do have some general questions that hopefully someone who has cruised during this time period might be able to offer some advice.

1. Average temperatures we might encounter. Concerned that weather would not allow us to sit on deck to view the scenery and be forced to sit inside while we cruise.

2. The cruise itself could be hampered by snow/ice/winds that would not be able to proceed via the waterways

3. Extreme temperatures could result in cancellation of excursions and/or damper the enjoyment of the excursions.

Any thoughts, suggestions would be much appreciated in helping us to decide on the best time to schedule or first European River Cruise!

Jeff

Jeff - The last few years Europe has had winters so mild that resorts in the lower Alps (Insbruck!) have had no snow. Our Christmas markets cruise last December had temps ranging from the mid 50s in Budapest to lower 40s in Prague. We had a great time and rebooked with Amadeus to go from Budapest to Istanbul this October. It is hard to beat a European tour where the hotel room follows you each day.

WIT

• 2 weeks later...

Last November (9th-18th) we went from Bratislava to Amsterdam on the Sound of Music. I certainly don't think you need to worry about ice! The Danube end of the journey was quite cool and damp but once we reached the Main at Regensberg the weather was great - sunny and mid 60s. The advantage of this time of year are the autumn colours (there are some pictures of mine on flickr.com). The biggest disadvantage is that it gets dark by around 4:30pm. Would have no hesitation of doing a similar trip although December might well be colder.

One of my main concerns taking a European River Cruise late Fall is would not be able to sit on the top deck to watch the scenery due to cold weather & winds. Not a big cold weather person having lived in the Lower S.E. states all my life

We are wondering about the weather at that time of year also. My husband does not like to be cold and wet and he thinks that might be the case at that time of year. We were thinking of going from Amsterdam to Budapest. Anyone else gone at this time?

Jeff,

I don´t answer any questions for average temps anymore. Right now we´re in the upper 50ies, rain, snow starting at 3,300 ft!! This is definitely not average but way too cold for late summer.

1. check weather.com for average temps, October can be quite pleasant, Nov is definitely fog season, Dec can be colder, snow might occur in Nov/Dec but snow season is Jan/Feb

2. rivers don´t freeze over, so besides fog which can delay you there can be only high/low water affecting your cruise (but that´s an all over the year risk)

3. shore excurisions shouldn´t be affected (except in case you´re delayed at some port but that´s again an usual risk with river cruises)

steamboats

Archived