Hubbard Glacier

sugcarol

I have been there 3 times and it is usually between 30-35 degrees. Just go prepared. Also as the above poster mentioned the winds could make it worse. The Capt. was the one that mentioned the degrees and I will tell you it is was a tad nippy outside but just go prepared with the proper clothing.

Marilyn

Anyone know what the temperature usually is outside on the deck at Hubbard Glacier? Thanks.

Somewhere between 30 and 75 - that's not much use for planning but that's the reality of glacier viewing. I've been there wearing several layers and then only a t-shirt and shorts.

Murray

Last week we had exceptional weather - the temperatures in all the ports were in the mid-70s and there was no rain in sight.

At the glacier, the temperature felt like the upper 50s mostly because we were there in the morning. Later on that day, it rose up to almost 80 again when we were at sea.

In late July, we were there on Thurs, and Sat. On Thurs, it was overcast and chilly and we had no problem finding rail room on bow for photos and enjoying. On Sat, the sun was up and it was warmer, Once we slowed down, it was quite nice out there and I even took my hat off. Rail had 4 deep on the bow and it was hard to get good spot until people got tired and went inside for drinks or snacks. Then it was really nice until we started to leave. Probably in the high 50s-low 60s.

In late July, we were there on Thurs, and Sat. On Thurs, it was overcast and chilly and we had no problem finding rail room on bow for photos and enjoying. On Sat, the sun was up and it was warmer, Once we slowed down, it was quite nice out there and I even took my hat off. Rail had 4 deep on the bow and it was hard to get good spot until people got tired and went inside for drinks or snacks. Then it was really nice until we started to leave. Probably in the high 50s-low 60s.

How did you like the Volendam and that itinerary? I'm interested in that itinerary on the northbound Veendam next year - although it will go to Haines instead of ISP.

We were there week before last, and it was cold. Actually, it was the only cold portion of our trip. We had many days in the 70's and 80's. In fact, it got warm on that particular day too, but because we got there so early in the morning, it was cold. My advice is to look to see what time you're going to get there. We did at 6 or 7 am, I can't remember. It was cold, but not miserable. Dress for it and pack an insulated cup ... get up that morning, take your cup to the cafe' and fill it with hot chocolate or hot tea or coffee or whatever, then go out and enjoy! They sell hot chocolate out on deck, but you'll have yours for free! :)

Have a good time.

Archived