Luggage

David4

What type of luggage do you have or find holds up well with travel? We had purchased London Fog sets about 2 years ago. Our travels have been on 6 cruises and a trip to Europe. Now the handles are broke, fabric torn and damaged wheels. We need new luggage!! Any recommendations?

I usually don't buy a name brand luggage. I have gotten luggage from Target and Walmart. The pieces I use most are the roll aboard size bags. They have been abused over the past 10 year or more, but in the last 16 years, I have only had to replace one bag. That was because I took it down stairs and I broke a wheel. Now, the one time we used the larger bag and checked it, it came back to us with a lot of scrapes on it. That's why I don't buy the expensive bags. The cheaper stuff holds up just as well. I think it is made by Astor.

We first found Travelpro at Marshall's and now we're hooked. It's taken a beating over the past 10 years and until last month, it was all in very good shape. One piece was badly damaged and almost looks intentional as one wheel was broken, rivets torn out, etc. I took it to a shoe shop that also repairs luggage and had new wheels put on so we're good to go again. Do a search for "discount Travelpro" and you'll come up with some clearance items. We missed the "Crew 5" sale and will now have to wait until Crew 6 goes on sale.

We have luggage from our favorite 'big box' store ... the one with the liberal return policies. We have not had any problems - just the usual scuffy marks. The zippers have held up well and they are well balanced and easy to roll. The only small thing is the handle is a little wobbly when extended. Probably tried to push it back or pull it out without pressing the button. (Oh and DH has used the pull handle to pick up the suitcases instead of the correct hand grips.) Four years old - 4 to 6 trips per year.

We use American Tourister. In fact, I think it is the Kenya series as noted above. The only problem I have noted was a worn zipper around the edge of the bag. I took it back to the American Tourister store (at the outlets) and they handled it all for me. They boxed it, mailed it, had it repaired and returned to me with no questions asked and no charge. I would definitely purchase American Tourister again. The only problem is that our luggage is not that lightweight. So we have to be careful how much we pack if flying to our destination. The airlines have become quite strict with the weight restrictions. Maybe somebody can tell us what company makes a good sturdy "lightweight" luggage?

We use our Kirkland brand (Costco) if we are flying after a set from Wally's fell apart on it's maiden flight. Kirkland has held up well and they now have an extra lightweight line in the stores.

For road trips or driving to a cruise we use the Hartman which is still in perfect condition after years of use (and you get great bell service when they see that luggage):cool:

Our friends who travel with Vuiton get even faster bell service, but at $5000 for a suitcase I could take a cruise!

Kevin

I swear by my vonforstberg of course in pink I use the carry on at least once a month and just brush it and off I go. I can always can find it anywhere I go. I just watched for each piece to go on a great sale.

Darlene

I have so many different pieces and brands!

I have a couple very well built Victorinox bags, a large suitcase and a garment bag that have gone on numerous trips and cruises with not even a scuff mark. My husband has Delsey luggage and it is also holding up well.

I've recently pruchased a TravelPro carry on and I swear, when it is time for my large luggage replacement that is what I'm buying. Not only is it made well, it includes every piece of accessory you can imagine, nothing else to purchase.

I'll have to politely disagree that the cheaper brands hold up as well, my BIL got a case from Costco, it lasted only 4 flights before the zipper broke and the side wall was torn. We have some older luggage we use for car trips because we just can't trust the zippers or the fabric.

I have an assortment of carry on sizes in different brands and colors. A great lightweight carryon brand is Kipling, I have a small duffle from them. I also have a small rollaboard from Eddie Bauer, it's so well thought out, smaller than a typical 22 inch but probably holds more than the average 22 inch.

I'll also disagree that TJ Maxx is a bad place to buy luggage. I have seen many name brand items there, Tumi, TravelPro, Diane Von Furstenberg, Victorinox etc...along with the chep brands.

I think of it like shoes, there are plenty of chep ones out there, but the comfort and wear make the more expensive, better built brand more economical in the long run.

My favorite brand is "Heys" and "Delsey". They are extremely light, well designed and well made, and exrtremly durable. Highly recommended the hard shell one -bought them on sale at major department store at a great discount. Took over 15 transpacific flight and major cruise trips, no problem at all except few little scratch.

Our friends who travel with Vuiton get even faster bell service, but at $5000 for a suitcase I could take a cruise!:eek: Wouldn't let that case out of my sight!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions...Now to surf the net and go shopping.

I also recomend Travel Pro. I have the Walkabout Series. Had it for about 3 years now, and it's the best set I've had. Very lightweight and durable. I've tried my share of the cheap ones, I consider those disposables. After a couple of flights, they're ready for the trash. I've also had American Tourister and Samsonite, which are good, but they did not hold up as good as the TravelPro.

I have so many different pieces and brands!

I have a couple very well built Victorinox bags, a large suitcase and a garment bag that have gone on numerous trips and cruises with not even a scuff mark. My husband has Delsey luggage and it is also holding up well.

I've recently pruchased a TravelPro carry on and I swear, when it is time for my large luggage replacement that is what I'm buying. Not only is it made well, it includes every piece of accessory you can imagine, nothing else to purchase.

I'll have to politely disagree that the cheaper brands hold up as well, my BIL got a case from Costco, it lasted only 4 flights before the zipper broke and the side wall was torn. We have some older luggage we use for car trips because we just can't trust the zippers or the fabric.

I have an assortment of carry on sizes in different brands and colors. A great lightweight carryon brand is Kipling, I have a small duffle from them. I also have a small rollaboard from Eddie Bauer, it's so well thought out, smaller than a typical 22 inch but probably holds more than the average 22 inch.

I'll also disagree that TJ Maxx is a bad place to buy luggage. I have seen many name brand items there, Tumi, TravelPro, Diane Von Furstenberg, Victorinox etc...along with the chep brands.

I think of it like shoes, there are plenty of chep ones out there, but the comfort and wear make the more expensive, better built brand more economical in the long run.

No no... I don't think TJMaxx and Ross's is a bad place to buy luggage... I said it is a bad place to buy Ricardo. They do not get the same line as department stores. It is made totally for these discount stores. But... with that said, I have gotten a few great pieces at TJMaxx... and I love the bright colors they have at times.

We have a 25" Ricardo that we bought at Ross years ago and it is still doing fine. Many flights later, it only has dirt marks on it (it's red). So when it was time to get another large suitcase, we went with Ross and Ricardo again. I have a 22" Ricardo that I absolutely LOVE for shorter trips. DH likes this brand because he says the handles are sturdy when extended for rolling along.

I also have a 22" Skyway that I bought on eBags. Very lightweight, but still sturdy.

I have always wanted to buy Travelpro, but it's just too expensive for me. I am going to do that search for "discount Travelpro" and see what I can find.

:) As I stated in another thread,we buy inexpensive luggage. Feel that there is no handle,wheel or zipper the airlines can't tear up, and they have signs stating they are not responsible for damage to same. We take a mini roll of duct tape and hope that it takes more than one flight to tear it up. Have never had any really hi dollar luggage but mid range and inexpensive seem to last about the same. Bill

My wife and I have 3 Boyt cases - 2 medium size and 1 large one. Plus a Samsonite hanging bag and a couple of Tumi brief/computer bags. We have had all for 10 years or more - I used a couple of them for travel before I retired - and they have held up very well. But we also have a couple of others we bought at Sam's or somewhere and they too are OK.

I just recently purchased the samsonite spinner luggage and absolutely love it. No matter what brand you are considering you truly need to check out the new spinner luggage, it makes travelling so much easier because it is on four wheels and turns in any direction. Even the carry on was great getting on the plane, I just turned it sideways and pushed it in front of me.

Archived