Stateroom Categories, defined.

T0AST

Hello everyone, after browsing the CC boards for a week now, I still cannot find a good source of info on the different state room categories.

And so I post my first question:

Does anyone have a good explanation, or source of info, for all the different categories of state rooms, (what do all the letters and numbers mean?lol)

Thanks!

It's really impossible to give you a difinitive answer here because all cruise lines have their own way of designating their categories. Some do it with numbers, some with letters and some with both numbers and letters. On some lines, the higher the number, the more expensive the cabin, and on others, the lower the number, the higher the cost of the cabins. My best advice is to get yourself some brochures and see how the ship or line you're interested in categorize their cabins. You can also go to each cruise line's website and look at their deck plans to see how they categorize their cabins and what each category means and offers.

Hello everyone, after browsing the CC boards for a week now, I still cannot find a good source of info on the different state room categories.

And so I post my first question:

Does anyone have a good explanation, or source of info, for all the different categories of state rooms, (what do all the letters and numbers mean?lol)

Thanks!

Carnival has a 1A, the oddball cabins, meant for 1 person with a lower single supplement.

4A, B etc, 4 is an inside cabin, A, B, etc, is the deck. A is the lowest deck, B, is the main deck, the next deck up etc, C the deck after that counting up from the bottom.

6s, are outside oceanviews.

8s are balconys

the above are the ones most people book.

9As are extended balconys Id call them.

the 11 and 12s are suites.

The letter is which deck the cabin is on.

Disney is basically the opposite....1s, 2s, 3s are the highest level of suites. the 12 is the lowest category. 12, 11 and 10 are inside, 9, 8, ovs, (with a few exceptions), etc

On RCI the higher the letter the lower the category, Q is the lowest inside cagetory, N, is the next worse, the lowest deck etc....I, starts the outsides.

There is a website www.cruisedeckplans.com that you can visit free. They also have a member site that can give you further information on just about all cruise ships out there, complete with photos.

Some online travel agencies will also list ships and categories for a variety of cruise lines. Some are easy to navigate, some not so. We're not allowed to discuss travel agents here, but you might try some of the agencies that advertise on this site.

Awesome. Thanks for the help everyone. It's good to learn that every cruise line is different. I'm looking at Norwegian in particular, so I will check out cruisedeckplans.com and see if I can find some good info.

I appreciate it.

-Toast

Definitely get the brochure from the cruiseline you are considering! All the info you need is in there, usually including deck plans and cabin descriptions. It's imperative that when you book, you do so with the deck plans right in front of you, so you will know what you're paying for! How many times have we read on these boards--"Help! I booked cabin #**** --is it a good room?" You don't want to be one of those people! Research!!!!

Guess I'm the odd one but normally book a guarantee. That way I only pick the class and o from there.

Even if you book a guarantee, you still have to know the classes and what you are booking. So you know what a "W" guarantee is on RCI or a "IS" guarantee on Carnival?

I also look at the deck plans and see what you get for the guarantee.

My point was not that there is anything wrong with guarantees, I book them too, but if the OP doesnt know the categories, he is at a loss, you need to know those first.

I wish I had known enough to ask for a more detailed explanation when we booked our first cruise which was on Princess. I had a coupon for a free one category upgrade. We booked oceanview using a travel agent, and I assumed that the mumbo jumbo

meant that we were upgraded to a balcony. (I thought there were 3 categories - interior, oceanview and balcony.) I was SO upset as the cabin was not at all what we were expecting. You might want to go to the cruise website and pull up the deck plans as some of the print in the brochures has become almost too tiny to read.

And, also go to the specific board for the cruiseline as you'll find many experienced cruisers who will be delighted to share the wealth of their knowledge with you. (We've also booked "guarantee" in the past but now more

often that not, Royal Caribbean doesn't even offer that option.)

Go to any travel agency and get free cataogues of different cruise lines. You don't have to book a cruise with them. Tell them you are thinking of a cruise if they ask you. In the catalogues you will find every designation for different cabins and often pictures of the cabins. The letters probably are for deck/catagory and the catalogue will let you know what's what.

Archived