Boat Drill

Pontius Navigator

That's just irresponsible. Not showing up for the muster is like not participating in a fire drill. They just gonna wait until there's a fire???

You know, the thing is, ships still sink. They also burn. Maybe not every other month like they did a hundred years ago, but it still happens. And the reason (besides the law) that ship operators have lifeboat drills is to give people even a vague idea of where to go and what to do if that horn starts blasting seven times in the middle of the night. Everyone should take this stuff seriously. It's all of 30 minutes max out of your vacation...the freakin' margarita can wait! Frankly, only a fool skips it.

I didn't say I skipped it:eek: ......I am just telling you what

I have been told.

There are fools all over the world:rolleyes:...including a % of those

folks who don't want to go to Muster.

Celebrity has been doing lifeboat drills the same way since we first sailed back in 1992. What difference does 10 more minutes make? Nothing is open anyway and if that is the way that they feel the drill should be done who are we to question the two step process. Their drill has been approved otherwise, they wouldn't do it that way. Just because another line does it differently doesn't make Celebrity wrong.

Somebody who has only cruised Celebrity could also turn it around that since Celebrity is a two step process, then the other cruiselines must be wrong by not doing it in two steps.

Why argue over how the drill is done - just be thankful that there is a drill so that you do have a chance to learn where to go in case of an unfortunate event.

Why argue over how the drill is done - just be thankful that there is a drill so that you do have a chance to learn where to go in case of an unfortunate event.

I don't believe that anyone had been arguing about the drills in this thread. We were just comparing drills among the different cruise lines. No-one has said that this was better, or that was better. It's just interesting that some are short, and others are long. Drills are vitally important on any cruise line.

Donald.

I sense some arguments, and criticism, and dissatisfaction with the various drills, and I think this has been a long conversation going absolutely nowhere, and accomplishing nothing...but, at least people are having a discussion...of sorts.

Difficult to track down the rules but I found this:

<<On passenger ships partially or totally enclosed lifeboats are required on each side able to accommodate not less than 50 per cent of all persons on board. . . . Chapter III requires (regulation 13) that survival craft be capable of being launched when the ship has a list of 20 degrees in either direction: the original Chapter III of SOLAS 1974 only requires launching with a 15 degree list. Chapter III also includes (regulation 28) a requirement that lifeboats on cargo ships of 20,000 tons gross tonnage and above be capable of being launched when the ship is making headway at speeds of up to 5 knots.>>

http://www.mss-int.com/solas2.html

I didn't say I skipped it:eek: ......I am just telling you what

I have been told.

There are fools all over the world:rolleyes:...including a % of those

folks who don't want to go to Muster.

My dear, I was responding to this: "Though to be honest, I have spoken with people who, over the years choose not to attend."

I didn't say YOU did...and I used the word "they." If I were talking to you I would not have used "they" to refer to you. I also wouldn't call you a "fool" to your "face." I might, however, refer to something you did or did not do as "foolish."

Difficult to track down the rules but I found this:

<<On passenger ships partially or totally enclosed lifeboats are required on each side able to accommodate not less than 50 per cent of all persons on board. . . . Chapter III requires (regulation 13) that survival craft be capable of being launched when the ship has a list of 20 degrees in either direction: the original Chapter III of SOLAS 1974 only requires launching with a 15 degree list. Chapter III also includes (regulation 28) a requirement that lifeboats on cargo ships of 20,000 tons gross tonnage and above be capable of being launched when the ship is making headway at speeds of up to 5 knots.>>

http://www.mss-int.com/solas2.html

If I interprit what you are writing correctly, it is what I said from the beginning: If HALF of the lifeboats (or whatever flotation devices are onboard for use in the event of a you-might-have-to-bend-over-and-kiss-you-tush-goodbye situation) are unavailable, then HALF of the potential said "kissers" are in trouble!

My dear, I was responding to this: "Though to be honest, I have spoken with people who, over the years choose not to attend."

I didn't say YOU did...and I used the word "they." If I were talking to you I would not have used "they" to refer to you. I also wouldn't call you a "fool" to your "face." I might, however, refer to something you did or did not do as "foolish."

Thanks for the clarification:) .....sometimes the net can be an odd

medium as we cannot read "tone".:eek:

Guess I read something that wasn't there.

Short and simple....Celebrity does their Muster drills differently than Princess does their's. No right or wrong...just different.

After all our cruises, I had never given Muster much thought, as to if it was done correctly or incorrectly. It was only 30 minutes of time...

I don't think my Muster drill on Princess was 15 minutes and I do remember they asked us our cabin number when we walked in so I assume they were taking attendance. And I also thought it was very strange to not be taken to the boat. Now one of the drills I did on Carnival took over an hour. My station on on deck in the hot blazing sun and we had to wear our life vests the whole time. I think next time I have a drill go over 30 minutes the vest comes off. I will say that that time is the only time I was complaining. I've dreaded it ever since because of that but hopefully my last experience will stop my dread.

BTW I think it took that long because people didn't show up, but I'm not 100% sure because it was a long time ago.

Archived