Dreaded Chair Hogs

wrecks

We go early on the first day and stay for awhile. We enjoy the pool, the band, people watching. After we get that out of our system, its the adult pool only for us. :p

We get up early anyways, have breakfast and are at the pool by 8:30. I am always amazed at the empty chairs covered by towels. I will watch the one I want for 1/2 hour. If no one comes, the towel is gone either by the pool attendent or me. I have to say the worst I have seen was on the CB. People were "having words" with each other. ;)

It isn't just the cruise ships which have chair hogs. I was with my family this summer in Kaanapali (Maui) at a big hotel. The pool area was packed. My daughter found one lounge chair for the 5 of us (3 adults). Next to us and around the area were a lot of vacant chairs "occupied" by the children in other families. We never saw the kids using the chairs. You'd think the adults next to us would share their chairs? Oh nooooo.

At least my sign keeps the obnoxious from assuming I'm not coming back. The time is on there and my name. If I took too long and found my towel had been removed and someone else on the lounge chair, well, it would have served me right. I would have been embarrassed and apologized. Forgot to mention that you need to put a clothespin pin or something on it to keep it from blowing away.

Good grief! Do u mean to say that chairs are this scarce on cruises? We're going on our very first cruise next May - I envisioned long hours spent relaxing on a chair - with frequent dips in the pool ... and of course the occasional "rest room" break. Will I really have to look for a new chair everytime I step away? This sounds terrible.:(

An interesting thread. We find the same problem at any resort we've been to in Mexico. Even at a beachside hotel in Puerto Vallarta, you have to be up pretty early in the morning to find a palapa with lounge chairs not already "occupied" by towels and books. We see this on shipboard, too. It's all part of the "I've paid good money for this trip, and I'm going to take every advantage I can to satisfy my comfort wishes."

Enjoy your cruise -- it's a wonderful way to holiday: and if the weather is good, you'll be able to enjoy lounge chairs away from the pool action, which can be pretty frenetic at times. One thing you can do. if there are two of you, is get to the pool early, score two lounges, and spell each other off as needed. Where will your cruise take you?

BTW, I've seen a lot of interesting and/or strange screen names on cruise critic, but Boethius is the most striking one I've come across. You've tempted me to change mine to the Venerable Bede!

It's not just the pool that has chair hogs. DH and I were looking for seats at a movie showing in the Princess Theatre. There seemed to be quite a few seats in the front row. When I got there, a young boy, about age 10, said "My mother told me to save these seats for our family." I asked, "Where is your mother now?" The poor kid replied, "She's in the room getting ready." It's bad enough to save a whole row of seats, but to make your child do your dirty work is unforgivable. I told the young man that saving seats was against the rules, and that he needed to tell his mother when she showed up, and left.:mad:

We had quite a thread about this topic some time ago, and I have copied my message as printed below. The only thing that I would add is that those who have decided to hog chairs in groups also tend to use cell phones and walkie talkies to scream shrill messages at each other: there are extra pancakes at the lido, fried shrimp just came up, I have a scoop of vanilla ice cream, etc........it's all just a reflection of a very distinct lack of consideration and manners. Here is my previous post:

I have never taken it upon myself to simply remove the "hog markers" and put them to the side, but I have been involved in another scheme on a ship that will remain Magically nameless.

After several days of a very loud and vocal family screaming that a group of eight relatively unused chairs belonged to them it was time for action. While they were not paying attention all the chairs were shifted to the left by one chair. They still had the same number of chairs, just slightly moved to the left. Latter on, another move to the left. Then back to the right, then maybe to the left, but never so much as to be really noticable. Everyone in the area cooperated and no one ever let on as to what was happening.

This family was confused. Things just were not right but they really could never figure out why. Sometimes they would just stand there like deer in the headlights and stare at the chairs. They had an all day deja vue type of experience and they never realized what had happened because they were so dogged determined that these chairs belonged to them that all of their other senses were void.

I REALLY like all the crazy thing that people do on cruises, and chair hogs have to be close to the top of the list. BTW, Chair Hogs also seem to appear for show seating.

I don't know if this would work with chair hogs.... but it is something I used to do when my daughter was young.

At Disneyland, etc. you could rent a generic park stroller. You had to park it along a railing ouitside the ride/restaurant, etc. while you were inside. Inevitably, when you returned your stroller was gone, taken by someone who thought is was so convenient that they just walked away with it.

One day, I decided to leave a dirty Pamper or Pull up (rolled up and taped shut) on the sun roof or seat of the stroller. Never had one stolen after that.

It's not just the pool that has chair hogs. DH and I were looking for seats at a movie showing in the Princess Theatre. There seemed to be quite a few seats in the front row. When I got there, a young boy, about age 10, said "My mother told me to save these seats for our family." I asked, "Where is your mother now?" The poor kid replied, "She's in the room getting ready." It's bad enough to save a whole row of seats, but to make your child do your dirty work is unforgivable. I told the young man that saving seats was against the rules, and that he needed to tell his mother when she showed up, and left.:mad:

Here again... the management in the showroom makes the annoucement to NOT SAVE SEATS... but... do they then enforce the request??? NO!!

They expect the guests to police and enforce the policies of the ship. Am I getting paid to do this?? Are they giving me room credit to do this?? Last time I checked, I'm the paying guest and supposed to be on vacation! :(

Here again... the management in the showroom makes the annoucement to NOT SAVE SEATS... but... do they then enforce the request??? NO!!

They expect the guests to police and enforce the policies of the ship. Am I getting paid to do this?? Are they giving me room credit to do this?? Last time I checked, I'm the paying guest and supposed to be on vacation! :(

Not only that, self regulation does not work.

On the Crown last month in Club Fusion we had the ugly scene of two grown men exchanging insults and then having a tug of war over a chair which one of them had been saving for the past 45 minutes.

I have seen the saving of chairs inforced on the CB in the theater. If not, I would just say, sorry you can't save seats and sit, and quickly turn your head to you don't see the rage in the other persons face..:p Its just to bad you have to be early at both places to get a seat! :o

Where will your cruise take you?

BTW, I've seen a lot of interesting and/or strange screen names on cruise critic, but Boethius is the most striking one I've come across. You've tempted me to change mine to the Venerable Bede!

Ah, Guillermo - I see you've read my work. I do believe that provides you a modicum of "venerable." Haha.

We are on the May 26th Eastern Carib cruise - San Juan, St Martin, St Thom and Grand Turk.

Thanks. everyone, for the "consolation" and encouragement; tis a very nice board.:)

Here's a new one! On our last cruise an older couple had two chairs beside the pool. They got up and left taking everything with them. About an hour later they came back and demanded that the people in "their" chairs move :eek: ! Of course the new people refused, but after the couple complained to one of the deck crew two more chairs were "squeezed" in next to the bottom of the stairs.

I kept waiting for someone to trip and spill their food or drink on them while trying to get through :D .

:D Maybe there should be a list of fun things to do to a chair hog! Actually, I really like the sign idea because I'm just the opposite-overly conscious of NOT being a "hog" but when I do leave how does anyone but the chairwatchers club (which I can appreciate) really know how long I've been gone. I've also seen perfectly polite people's stuff tossed (by passengers) when they weren't gone long? How do crew keep a watch on this or do they just hope the threat is a deterrent ? Probably only stops those who don't usually do it,anyway.:confused:

A great idea, I liked the sign, egg timer and bring your own chair. The chair 'wave' was brilliant! My idea would be to put this under the RESERVED towel.

My wife is discourageing me from doing this, but really like it. Before you leave, use your word processor to creat this sign and put it in a page protector. Put the Princess logo on it:

This Chair/Lounge is

Vacant

Items were left at this site

in violation of ship policy and have been

removed. They may be claimed at our

security station on Deck 4.

Enjoy your cruise.

Please hand this notice to anyone

who wishes to claim their belongings.

My DW doesn't like this idea. I do. Here's a sign to create before your next cruise. Add the Princess logo and put it in a page protector.

This chair/lounge is

Vacant

and ready for your enjoyment.

Articles left here in violation of ship

policy my be claimed the the ship

security center on Deck 4.

Enjoy your cruise.

Just remove the CH's stuff and say, "Here's your sign."

Good grief! Do u mean to say that chairs are this scarce on cruises? We're going on our very first cruise next May - I envisioned long hours spent relaxing on a chair - with frequent dips in the pool ... and of course the occasional "rest room" break. Will I really have to look for a new chair everytime I step away? This sounds terrible.:(

I was wondering the same thing! UGH. It sounds like hotels in Vegas. Finding a chair there sucks too. I too was looking forward to long days hanging out at the pool... but since I'm not particularly an early riser, that might be a bit more difficult?

Great job. We also experienced this recently in the Vista Lounge on The Sun Princess. We easily shoo'd the young offender away that was saving 12 seats.

If you see a chair that might be abandoned, ask someone nearby when it was last used. If they didn't see anyone, it's available! Then when you leave for a quick dip or whatever, mention to someone nearby where you are going so your chair may still be waiting for you. These ideas have worked for me lots of times. Nancy

We were on the Tahitian Princess a few years ago and we (two couples) arrived at the lounge early to get seats. About 10 minutes before the show, my friend and I went to the Ladies room and left our husbands in their seats. An ederly gentlemen approached them and said that he wanted them to sit together, so he and his wife could have the two empty seats. They told them we were at the Ladies room and he replied well it's against the rules to save seats, so move. Our husbands told them they could sit in the two empty seats but they weren't moving so that the two empty seats were together. The man starting screaming explitives at our husbands for breaking the rules and saving seats, as we returned from the Ladies room. This guy sat behind us and cussed explitives during the entire show which actually got to the point that it was just amusing.

I don't think that when Princess says, no saving seats, they mean you can't go to the bathroom.

We were on the Tahitian Princess a few years ago and we (two couples) arrived at the lounge early to get seats. About 10 minutes before the show, my friend and I went to the Ladies room and left our husbands in their seats. An ederly gentlemen approached them and said that he wanted them to sit together, so he and his wife could have the two empty seats. They told them we were at the Ladies room and he replied well it's against the rules to save seats, so move. Our husbands told them they could sit in the two empty seats but they weren't moving so that the two empty seats were together. The man starting screaming explitives at our husbands for breaking the rules and saving seats, as we returned from the Ladies room. This guy sat behind us and cussed explitives during the entire show which actually got to the point that it was just amusing.

I don't think that when Princess says, no saving seats, they mean you can't go to the bathroom.

On the Emerald in July, each night at the show, they announced that you could save no more than one seat. So yes, it is definitely allowed to save a seat for someone who is in the bathroom.

Here's a new one! On our last cruise an older couple had two chairs beside the pool. They got up and left taking everything with them. About an hour later they came back and demanded that the people in "their" chairs move :eek: ! Of course the new people refused, but after the couple complained to one of the deck crew two more chairs were "squeezed" in next to the bottom of the stairs.

I kept waiting for someone to trip and spill their food or drink on them while trying to get through :D .

Big huge glass of ice water all over them... HA HA HA!!!

A couple of cruises ago, there was a couple who had 4 chairs by the pool. Two in the shade and two in the sun. They would alternate depending on their mood apparently and nastily chase off other passengers who saw a couple of empty chairs.

Sometimes you can't can't help but spill a glass of cold water or iced tea from the upper deck when the sea gets rough.

Archived