Does the room really matter?

skyscanr

On a 7 day cruise, we definitely prefer to have the balcony, but on a shorter 4 day cruise, an inside cabin is fine.

This is exactly how DH and I feel. When we take a longer cruises without the kids, we book the balconies. Shorter cruises the inside room is fine with us. I do have to admit I had some of the best sleep in years last year when we had an inside cabin. One day a suite we be great, but for now balcony or inside will do just fine.

Yes the cabin matters quite a bit. We have a certain cabin that we book on all of our cruises and if that cabin were unavailable, we would just wait and book another date. We are blessed enough to be able to book a suite, and we are close enough to drive to many ports, so that helps, as I know so many people have to spend a lot of money for airfare. We do spend a lot of time on our balcony as we do not go to any of the shows or anything, so it does mean a lot for us to have a place to relax and be together to enjoy ourselves.

I am actually planning my first cruise and considering these issues. This is hard to explain, but I'm thinking I either decide to go "on the cheap" and get an inside cabin, or splurge and get a balcony. I'm not sure what the merit would be to going "halfway" and getting an oceanview. I'm finding that on most of the ships I'm looking at, an oceanview is just like an inside cabin with a window. I can see the merits of a balcony room, but is a window really worth any extra money? DH has cruised before in all types of cabins and doesn't really care - he'll go for the best deal, even if it's not the cheapest price, if that makes sense to ya'll.

Hum, well, we had an inside state room on our first cruise, and as much as I loved our first cruise, the stateroom was very small (it was an old ship and yes things have changed). Not that I need natural light, I just liked our outside stateroom on the Holiday and was very spoiled by having a balcony on the Spirit. But to save money this time as we are going to Europe, we are back to a outside stateroom.

Does it matter, no, not really. We do not spend that much time there, and I won't say anymore on that as I guess some do.

On our 7 day cruise to Alaska a balcony cabin was a must. However on our next cruise we booked 2 Inside Gua. for us and our 2 kids (16 & 13).

I've since found that the price wasn't much more (at the time) for us to upgrade to an OV and considering it will be a surprise cruise for our kids we upgraded for them to at least have a window to look out and not feel so cramped.(I know the rooms are technically the same size, but I can just foresee going into their room and finding a big white stripe down the center of it to divide his 1/2 and her 1/2:eek: )

The room does not really matter to us. I book inside guarantees and am happy with what we get. In 10 guarantee Carnival cruises we have had 5 insides (1 Riviera, 2 Main, 1 Empress, 1 Lido decks), 2 portholes, 2 oceanviews, and 1 balcony.

I have 1 cruise booked for yet this year and it is an inside (am traveling with 2 other ladies who are on a tight budget) and 4 cruises booked for 2008 [1 inside guarantee, 1 oceanview (same cabin for our anniversary as we honeymooned in), and 2 portholes (b2b and didn't want to have to pack and change cabins)].

I LOVE cruising so I would rather spend less on a cabin and be able to cruise more often.

It's all a matter of personal choice.

For the first time ever, on our next cruise next January, we got an IS guarantee. Before we have always had a balcony. We did the guarantee this time because this cruise has 5 ports, and we figure there's going to be alot of time off the boat, so an inside is cool with us this time (maybe we'll get upgraded)! :D

Alaskan cruise in September of 2008 we booked an OV. Didn't want to pay what they wanted for a balcony! :eek:

For the first time ever, on our next cruise next January, we got an IS guarantee. Before we have always had a balcony. We did the guarantee this time because this cruise has 5 ports, and we figure there's going to be alot of time off the boat, so an inside is cool with us this time (maybe we'll get upgraded)! :D

Alaskan cruise in September of 2008 we booked an OV. Didn't want to pay what they wanted for a balcony! :eek:

As I posted earlier I cruise solo and almost always book the cheapest accomodations, however 3 out of the last 4 times I was upgraded to an OV or better (5A - French Doors with horrible view of lifeboats :rolleyes:). Your guess is as good as mine . . . possibly because I'm PLATINUM, possibly because I cruise last minute (usually book 4 or 5 days before the cruise) ? :confused:

I need at least an OV, prone to sea-sickness (even with the patch), vertigo and a bit of claustraphobia:o ; staring @ the horizon thru the window helps me significantly:)

Booked a balcony this time, hoping the fresh air will be a benefit when i'm getting queasy.

DH, years in Navy on carrier, finds it's amusing that i can't seem to find my sea legs...perhaps a few more cruises & i'll be set.;)

Tell your DH that you need to go a quite a few cruises and then hopefully some day, when who knows, you will be able to "find your sea legs" :cool:

Have done insides, suites and balconies. Favorite, by far, are the corner aft balconies. Just can't go wrong with the extra amount of space that you get on those! Funny now that I think of it, each of the inside cabins have been when I've cruised with my girlfriends or the kids. DH and I had a suite on the Imagination, a corner aft on the Mariner and are booked in another corner aft on the Miracle. Seems to me, he's a little spoiled. (Or would that be me??:rolleyes:)

[/b]Tell your DH that you need to go a quite a few cruises and then hopefully some day, when who knows, you will be able to "find your sea legs" :cool:

yes, i agree; if only in the name of science I should cruise often to see if the theory is sound:D

We've had OV Guaranteed & have been satisfied where we end up. Next cruise, we decided to book our first balcony since it's just DH & myself. We couldn't pass on a great price & past guest rate at the time of booking. I need to see out, even if it's just beautiful blue water.

Now I really don't want a flame war here.

But I would really like to know does the room you have matter to you .

Now for my family it does matter. While some folks say "well you don't spend much time there " is this because the room is so small you just can't stand to spend any more time then you have too in it?

If you say you want to spend your money on other things , what do you spend it on ?

For the wife and I it just has to be a cat 12 for us and a room across for the kids. We choose this because we really only take one big vaction a year and want to be pampered and like a room that you are happy to go take a nap in or maybe have a little down time .

We also like to order room service and have the room to just spread out .

We do outings and such but maybe drink a little less then a lot of folks maybe having 2 to 3 drinks a day (after all I am on vaction and not driving any where :) )

The room matters to me very much so. I always hear people say " what different does it make what kind of room, all you're doing is sleeping in it". That's not the case for me, I love to spend some quiet moments in my room, so therefore, I want it to be a room that I am happy with.

I'm just back from Valor, and I had my first balcony; now everytime I cruise, I want a balcony. I loved sitting out on the balcony very early in the morning, sipping on coffee, so peaceful.:D

for a 5-night cruise...

1 cruise with Balcony = 2 cruises inside...

but...for an even more interesting observation...

I have had balcony rooms on my Conquest and Glory Cruises...

and admit it is very special to go on the balcony and see the sunrise

in my robe....

so...

For the price of 1 seven night cruise with a balcony (about $1200) I could easily take three five night cruises inside....(abut $1400)

lets see...15 days vs 7....

hmmmmmmmmm

So, for a middle class income guy who never expected to be able to afford a cruise...I am about to leave out on my sixth and seventh...

We started out with a balcony on our first family cruise. Next we had an Ocean View cabin. To save money, our last cruise on 8/4/07 was with an inside cabin. I was surprised at how small the cabin looked when we first opened the door--there are 4 of us. It worked out fine, and I would book another inside cabin again, so we could save the money. Many times we looked at the weather conditions on the TV Sea Cam, so I didn't feel it was necessary to have a window. We could have had a Balcony cabin for the same price if we waited to go on our cruise 2 weeks later. I'm happy we chose to go earlier in the summer, but with inside cabin.:)

I have been on 4 Cruises. Three times in an inside room and the last time with a Balcony. I have become clastrophobic in the last few years that I was afraid to get the inside cabin again. I do know that I slept well and we almost missed our excursions when in an inside cabin. This time I booked a Guarantee outside view cabin and was upgraded to the Balcony. Now I am not sure I can ever go back. But if we take our kids next time it will be an outside cabin to keep the cost low.

You really don't spend alot of time in your room so room really doesn't matter. I found a great place on the cruise to sit and read my book in the afternoon but it was nice having the balcony to read on.

I love cruising so whatever room I can get I am glad to be on the cruise.

Archived