Does the room really matter?

skyscanr

We have modest incomes, but live a very comfortable life (little to no debt). I am cruising 2 times this year for the price of 1 cruise with a balcony. I could just whip out the credit card and get a suite, but I don't want to come home to a bill that would take months to pay off.

We have chosen cruising for the incredible value. No way can I get these accommodations and dining for this price. I don't have to get in the car and find a place to eat 2 or 3 meals a day.

MAC

The room matters to me very much so. I always hear people say " what different does it make what kind of room, all you're doing is sleeping in it". That's not the case for me, I love to spend some quiet moments in my room, so therefore, I want it to be a room that I am happy with.

I'm just back from Valor, and I had my first balcony; now everytime I cruise, I want a balcony. I loved sitting out on the balcony

very early in the morning, sipping on coffee, so peaceful.:D

Me too. I love the balcony and preferably it's on the Verandah deck or higher. I need down time. We do have kids and need the two extra beds (one from the ceiling) that come with certain balcony cabins.

My use of the balcony - Room Service Breakfast on the balcony with bagels and lox (can't even get that in the lido buffet) with orange juice, and afternoon drink with wine I brought on board, watching the ships leave and come to a port, sunsets, and even sunrises. Most of all, I do like the natural light and breezes from the sea.

I need some down time during the day. I don't like being in the sun for 8 hours straight on sea days. So, I'll head to the cabin for a rest and, yes, even catch the news or sports on the tv.

Now I really don't want a flame war here.

But I would really like to know does the room you have matter to you .

Now for my family it does matter. While some folks say "well you don't spend much time there " is this because the room is so small you just can't stand to spend any more time then you have too in it?

If you say you want to spend your money on other things , what do you spend it on ?

For the wife and I it just has to be a cat 12 for us and a room across for the kids. We choose this because we really only take one big vaction a year and want to be pampered and like a room that you are happy to go take a nap in or maybe have a little down time .

We also like to order room service and have the room to just spread out .

We do outings and such but maybe drink a little less then a lot of folks maybe having 2 to 3 drinks a day (after all I am on vaction and not driving any where :) )

Any cruise is a great cruise.

That's interesting. I think a good thing about shorter cruises is you can stay in a cabin that maybe you wouldnt spring for otherwise....that idea would be worth exploring how people feel about which cabins shorter vs. longer cruises.

I was down with this idea as well but at least as I was comparing Conquest to Ecstasy the price for a blc was the same:confused: not much different anyway even more sometimes. Guess less balcony's high demand high price.

Went on my only cruise this summer, with my family, and we'd planned to get 2 cabins (since my brother and I are 17 and 21, one cabin might have been slightly cramped). When we were planning, I was the one saying, what's the point of getting an oceanview, all you'll see is water, why not get an inside and save the money? But in the end, I was outvoted, the need for natural light prevailed, and I was certainly happy with that- loved looking out the window as we were approaching port. Though if I were paying, I'd probably go with the inside, just because the only time I was in the room, it was dark, or I was just getting dressed, and I could always dress faster and go up on deck to watch the ocean. So does it matter to me? Sort of but not really

We sailed on Freedom in July. 13days with an inside cabin and had a great time. The cruise cost us about 4,000 AUD but the cost of getting to Rome via London was over 8,000 AUD so the extra cost of an Oceanview or balcony would have prevented the whole holiday.

Starting to plan a cruise to New Zealand in 2009 departing from our home town of Melbourne. As we are crossing the Tasman Sea over 3 days each way I can see the benefit of a Balcony or Oceanview for almost half of the cruise so it looks like me might spend the money we save on airfares on a better cabin. Cruise we are looking at is with Princess.

We flew over on the last trip in economy, a first for Paula as in the past her trips to London and Europe have been with a friend and all paid for so they flew First Class. She was worried if she could travel "Behind the Curtain" which is how she describes Economy. I gave her the choice she could pay for First Class and I would enjoy it or we flew Economy and saved so I could spend in Europe on presents for her.

Guess which one she chose.

David

I prefer an inside cabin so I have money to spend elsewhere. I am travelling on the Destiny next week and we only have one day not in port. However, we were lucky enough to be upgraded to an oceanview. When I sail with my husband in September I'm sure we'd prefer a balcony but this trip was last minute and we don't want to spend a ton.

It matters to my wife and I, we always go for the balcony. We don't cruise every year like some people do, but every other year is fine with us. We believe it is worth every penny for the balcony. The peace and quiet is so nice and enjoyable. Some day we might have to settle for a different cabin, but for now is Balcony all the way.

The wife and I are people that spend VERY little time in the room, so we book inside rooms. We have been upgraded to OV and a balcony once. Yes, the balcony was nice, but we opt to spend the money saved on other things...............

It depends!

If we take a 4 day then we go with the inside (especially if we are taking the kids). 7 days or longer a balcony. It really depends on where you are going as well. For the Alaskan cruise a balcony is a must. We had the aft wrap around (4228) this June on the Spirit and that was the best cabin EVER!

Bon Voyage... 9 days to go.

I all depends who you are. If you are old, in a relationship, or overweight a room is probably more important to you.

If you are on a budget, or like to sleep in the extreme darkness day/night get an inside room.

Or, if you are drunk and your the type of person that wakes up the next morning with someone next to you who looks like they got hit in the face with a bag of nickles..... by all means an inside room is your only choice.

I all depends who you are. If you are old, in a relationship, or overweight a room is probably more important to you.

If you are on a budget, or like to sleep in the extreme darkness day/night get an inside room.

Or, if you are drunk and your the type of person that wakes up the next morning with someone next to you who looks like they got hit in the face with a bag of nickles..... by all means an inside room is your only choice.

Put me in the old, overweight, in a relationship category, who is NOT on a budget and doesn't sleep with someone having a bag-of-nickels face :rolleyes:

I guess I have only been in interiors but was also sailing with my parents. . I am going on a cruise with my husband and other relatives and we are going to try an oceanview just because we are money tight right now.. I would love to eventually try a balcony or a suite as my husband is a pretty pickey person when it comes to vacations. . he likes the fantcy hotels and such so I hope he has a good time this won't be anything like the places we stay at when we take trips. . so we will see.

I'm sure this is in jest! I don't think we fall into any of the above criteria,except for being 55 and 65 years old and being married to the Love of my life, however our choice of cabin is extremely important, and not for any of the reasons listed above;) :rolleyes: :o :).....Oh just recently met some NYC firefighters on our trip there in July. MY DH gave the men at Engine Co num. 10 a copy of his CD honoring all those lost that fateful day. They were such a pleasure to talk with and an honor to meet.

Project10.jpg.85b1d0d876edc4fb5b6b0c6ab11e6492.jpg

Project38.jpg.85b408908f1dfca92ecafe29bd51570e.jpg

Project21.jpg.dc6d29f46484fc475d14f0bdda50ab8c.jpg

We prefer a balcony cabin. I like to walk out on the balcony in the morning(s) to see where we are and take in a bit of the ocean air and sunshine. Also, I may spend some time on the balcony before getting ready for dinner and before going to bed.

Our parents, who will be cruising for the first time with us in December, are also booked in balcony cabins. They will be spoiled from the beginning. :D

Now I really don't want a flame war here.

But I would really like to know does the room you have matter to you .

Now for my family it does matter. While some folks say "well you don't spend much time there " is this because the room is so small you just can't stand to spend any more time then you have too in it?

If you say you want to spend your money on other things , what do you spend it on ?

For the wife and I it just has to be a cat 12 for us and a room across for the kids. We choose this because we really only take one big vaction a year and want to be pampered and like a room that you are happy to go take a nap in or maybe have a little down time .

We also like to order room service and have the room to just spread out .

We do outings and such but maybe drink a little less then a lot of folks maybe having 2 to 3 drinks a day (after all I am on vaction and not driving any where :) )

Right now, we are still experimenting with rooms. We have had Main deck forward port hole windows, we have had a balcony, and we have done a interior room. Now we are in an oceanview at the top of the ship. We will decide which one we like best after this cruise. We are considering a suite for our next cruise.

The balcony seemed too small, plus we only went out there about 4 hours total the whole week. The Interior..NEVER NEVER AGAIN. I like daylight. The port holes were ok for 2 people, but there is no extra bed in there. We will see what happens with this cabin.

Archived