Medicare Cruise insurance coverage

MiddleagedM

Hi,

Medicare provides no assistance outside the US. Would very much recommend that your parents get cruise insurance that includes medical and evacuation coverage. The cruise line insurance is quite inexpensive, and can releave concerns about costly problems that could occur during your cruise.

petert

What about medicare coverage in Alaska, and New England ports? We are on the same cruise as MiddleagedM. We do hit ports in foreign soil, Quebec and Halifax. Otherwise all other ports are in the US.

Your potential medical emergency may not occur while in port. I suspect that if your emergency happens while outside the US territorial borders (at sea) you'll be sunk (so to speak)

What about medicare coverage in Alaska, and New England ports? We are on the same cruise as MiddleagedM. We do hit ports in foreign soil, Quebec and Halifax. Otherwise all other ports are in the US.

Medicare will only cover you inside the USA, or its territories. Of course this includes coverage inside the state of Alaska. A very obscure rule also allows you to get coverage inside Canada, but only if you happen to be driving between the USA and Canada and happen to get sick enroute (I have never known anyone to file a claim for this coverage, but its in the rules somewhere). Medicare will not cover any care you receive on-board the ship, although I guess you could try to fight for coverage if you were treated why tied up to a US port or in US waters. When I worked in the healthcare business I used to tell folks to carefully check their Medicare supplemental policies (also a good idea to call your carrier) to see if it will cover you for travel outside the USA. Some of the better policies do have this coverage and many do not!

Hank

For the $200 or so it is worth spending the money for medical and evacuation coverage which includes trip cancellation and baggage coverage. Should any medical emergency occur, you'll be glad you had the coverage. Also, you should consider a policy where the coverage is primary and not secondary to your or their health coverage. In this way should you need to make a claim, a primary policy will pay for your bills directly without having to argue with your or their company about deductables and percentages. It is also important to have a company that has a vast array of support people to be there for you. It can be very confusing and lonely when you are in a foreign country and little support to help out.

Does anyone know what, if anything, Medicare insurance would cover on illness or medical evacuation? We're traveling with our parents and although both are in excellent health, one never knows.

Thanks

Insist that your parents purchase insurance. Chances are that they won't need it. However there have been enough horror stories by posters that things CAN and DO happen.

The costs, even for treatment for a minor illness on the ship, are unbelievable. Unless they have some kind of other medical coverage, Medicare won't cover a penney.

Evacuation coverage is a must. On our last cruise, a woman we had met, fell and broke her hip and later developed heart problems while in the hospital on St. Lucia. She ended up being evacuated back to the states. One of her traveling companions let us know that the cost was going to be over $10,000 and she was so grateful they all had purchased the insurance.

If your parents are healthy but something does happen before they leave, or they have a pre-existing condition which could be blamed for something happening on the trip, the insurance will cover it if you purchase the appropriate coverage.

DO talk them into it.

Some Medicare supplements will cover individuals outside the US. You should call the company that your parents have and see if they have coverage. I know the company I sell for has plans that offer coverage.

Medicare covers you in the US and Puerto Rico. It does not cover ST Thomas and the other USVI's. I'd call to find out if they cover shipboard care on board while in port in PR. Like if you are stung by a jelly fish or sprain an ankle and go to the ship instead of an ER check ahead of time--like now. And really, cruisecare costs like $200 for the over 60 crowd. And a serious problem and evacuation say from the eastern Med to the US can run $50K. And NO, the Coast Guard is not free when you need a short hop by chopper from the ship 50 miles out and Florida.

A good travel agent, like mine, can give you info on 3 or 4 policies based on age, preexisting conditions, works well with your insurance, etc.

Some Medigap (supplemental) options cover medical care outside the US but not evacuation. Since Medigap policies can only be sold in standardized plans, those that cover a foreign travel emergency are C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J. I believe they pay 80% of the cost up to a $50,000 lifetime limit and after a $250 deductible. If that is acceptable you might consider getting a cheap trip cancellation policy (if you don't want to cover the entire price of the trip) since those usually have a sizable emergency evacuation provision.

Medicare covers you in the US and Puerto Rico. It does not cover ST Thomas and the other USVI's. I'd call to find out if they cover shipboard care on board while in port in PR. Like if you are stung by a jelly fish or sprain an ankle and go to the ship instead of an ER check ahead of time--like now. And really, cruisecare costs like $200 for the over 60 crowd. And a serious problem and evacuation say from the eastern Med to the US can run $50K. And NO, the Coast Guard is not free when you need a short hop by chopper from the ship 50 miles out and Florida.

A good travel agent, like mine, can give you info on 3 or 4 policies based on age, preexisting conditions, works well with your insurance, etc.

I am not sure where you got this information. Unless Medicare has changed their coverage since I worked in the healthcare industry, they do indeed give Medicare coverage in the US Virgin Islands, Guam and PR. Please give me the source of your info that coverage is no longer valid in the USVI.

Hank

Some Medicare supplements will cover individuals outside the US. You should call the company that your parents have and see if they have coverage. I know the company I sell for has plans that offer coverage.

I agree. Kaiser covers outside the U.S.

gracecarmo, if you're sick or injured on the ship, and you're treated in any US port, Alaska included since it's the US, you're covered. But if you should receive treatment in Canada, unless you have extra medicare coverage, they won't cover the treatment.

I am not sure where you got this information. Unless Medicare has changed their coverage since I worked in the healthcare industry, they do indeed give Medicare coverage in the US Virgin Islands, Guam and PR. Please give me the source of your info that coverage is no longer valid in the USVI.

Hank

Obviously an older recreation therapist at a Model Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Hospital symposium circa 1997. Add American Samoa and the Northern Marianas to the list of places Medicare is accepted also. My apologies for not not checking an old piece of info.

Sue

Archived