packing: must have's

plenox

Have reading so many nice suggestions on packing lists, I am wondering how we can pack all those things in our luggage with airlines cracking down the luggage weight. Anyway, I am hoping past Alaska cruisers can suggest a few items that are necessary for Alaska cruising. Also, you packed something extra and don't think they are needed, can you share that information as well? thanks

I know what you mean about packing lists. You will get a ton of responses here but here is my plan for packing for when I leave this Thursday for 9 days, cruise only:

One case that coverts from a backpack to a suitcase (easy to walk off ship upon disembarkation). Has side pockets and a day pack attached. Planning on doing laundry once during the 9 days, so basically pack max 6 shirts, socks, etc. I need to take my camera battery charger and cell phone charger. Will wear my sweatshirt and maybe my lightweight raincoat as well to save precious packing space. My medium size tripod goes in my case as well. I am only going to check one piece of luggage (I am allowed three checked pieces with NW, two of which can weigh up to 70 pounds since I am flying first class).

In my carryon I will pack a pair of shoes and a pair of tennis shoes. Will wear my hiking boots on the plane, again to save precioius space. My cruise/tour/shore excursion info/confirmations will also go in my carry on. Laptop goes in my carryon along with empty water bottle to fill up behind security and a snack (I always travel with something to eat - remember the 4-10 hour delays on the tarmac that you have read about?).

In my checked piece I am also packing hat, gloves, several more items for "layering", and an insulated coffee mug to fill with hot tea or hot chocolate for when I am out on deck and it gets cold. Can stuff a pair of socks or something small into the mug so it takes up virtually no space at all.

Then my "personal item" is my camera bag with my digital SLR camera, several lenses, etc. There is room in the top of that bag for small miscellaneous items.

I have learned to travel light, roll up shirts to have them take up less space, stuff my shoes with small items, etc.

One other thing I am bringing that is important to me is a small gadget that converts one electrical outlet into three. It is not a power strip, just a small 1 to 3 converter plug. I will need that due to all the electrical stuff I am bringing.

John

since i went with NCL i got to pack very light..no suits, dress shirts, dress shoes, gowns, high heels..etc. that was 1 less piece of luggage right there!!

did need the power strip, had laptop (for downloading photos), camera battery and phone recharging at the same time. didn't need to convert, just more outlets.

did need the over-the-door organizer. worked great for keeping DH's pills and stuff off the bathroom counter and where he could find them.

did need the canvas bag...i don't use a backpack. took sodas, snacks, camera stuff...kept it light, but had everything handy.

I'm glad I packed:

Lightweight Goretex jacket with hood

Hanging shoe organizer: Not for shoes, but for cosmetics, pills, misc items. I hate clutter, especially in small quarters.

Silk thermal underwear

Gloves

Lightweight backpack for shore excursions

Gym clothes: you really, really need to work off the calories!

Bonine and ginger capsules

Highlighter: good to mark activities you don't want to miss on the dailies

Snacks: We liked the 100 calorie packs of cookies, etc.

Cell phone and battery

Travel alarm clock with light

Lighweight Travelon bag that can be worn across the body: carried this everywhere

Didn't need to pack:

Reading material: didn't have the time

Post-its

Extension cord

Didn't need to pack:

Hm, it sounds very much like me. In the past cruises, I always wanted to spend few hours in library on board to do some reading, but never found enough time to do so.

Didn't need to pack:

Post-its

Extension cord

Like, I said, you will get lots of different answers. I take reading material (one book) to read mainly on the plane to/from Alaska. It is a long flight.

We took Post It notes last year when we had 3 in our room and it was really nice - leave notes for each other where we were/when we would be back. Going alone this time and not taking them.

Not taking extension cord but that 1 to 3 adapter to give more outlets for my electrical stuff.

Like, I said, you will get lots of different answers. I take reading material (one book) to read mainly on the plane to/from Alaska. It is a long flight.

We took Post It notes last year when we had 3 in our room and it was really nice - leave notes for each other where we were/when we would be back. Going alone this time and not taking them.

Not taking extension cord but that 1 to 3 adapter to give more outlets for my electrical stuff.

John, thank you so much for helping me again. Yes, it seems I do need to reboot my brain and do some thinking myself for priorities.

Like a lot of people, I overpacked on our first cruise to Alaska; I now pack only the minimum for our Alaska cruises. Jeans and fleece vests can be worn a couple of times while on the cruise, white turtlenecks go with everything--all can be neatly rolled and take up little space in the suitcase. I carry my heavy jacket (stuff gloves and hat in the pockets) and boots on the plane so I don't have to pack them. I take one black pair of heels for evening because the color goes with everything. If I decide to do dinner in the restaurants I take clothes that I can mix and match; formal is black formal pants and two beaded tops. DH takes a backpack on the plane with camera gear, our windbreakers that fold into nice little pouches and our rain ponchos.

Like others, I am a big believer in rolling clothes as much as I can. I also like to limit my colors as much as possible in case I have to do some laundry.

Have a good time on your cruise.

Thanks everyone for your lists. Taking one of the last cruises of the season is great. I can get great advice all summer from you all. I was wondering....what kind of breakfast can you get in blue bamboo and is it faster there then in the buffet? Our room is near there...might be nice just to go there and take it back to our room.. And...do they serve any "healthier food anywhere....brown rice, greens, fresh vegis, ect.?

Don't even think of going to Alaska without a good pair of binoculars.:D

We cleaned our binocs last weekend. Decided to only bring 2 prs, not 3 (hubby originally thought he might want the small pair just to take off the ship on excursions but decided he'll carry the slightly larger but much better quality pair with him. I get "the other" pair ;-). Have most of our stuff laid out on the guest beds, ready to be rolled & packed.

Reading material is always an issue for me. I love to read. I would go insane if I couldn't read. And I read quickly, so how in the world to pack enough books for a 12 day trip? Argh! Good news, the space the books take up on the way TO Alaska is space available for souvenirs on the way BACK from Alaska:p

Reading material is always an issue for me. I love to read. I would go insane if I couldn't read. And I read quickly, so how in the world to pack enough books for a 12 day trip? Argh! Good news, the space the books take up on the way TO Alaska is space available for souvenirs on the way BACK from Alaska:p

I think some ships have a "leave one, take one" library on board. Or if not that, just a lending library where you can check out books so you don't have to cart a bunch with you. I like to read but I am a slow reader. So just one or two books is all I can handle on a trip!

I always, always pack an umbrella and a pair of gloves. If you are at a glacier or on a glacier excursion they do come in handy. Some cruiselines have umbrellas in the cabins but I always bring my own. They take up so little room. The clothes are in layers, turtlenecks, a sweater and a medium weight jacket. Enjoy your cruise.

Marilyn

I think some ships have a "leave one, take one" library on board. Or if not that, just a lending library where you can check out books so you don't have to cart a bunch with you. I like to read but I am a slow reader. So just one or two books is all I can handle on a trip!

Well, I still have the flight to get there and 5 days before the cruise, so what I decided is to bring a few (as dense as possible so I'll read more slowly), leave them with my sister-in-law when we get on the cruise and stop at the Costco in Anchorage the day we get on the cruise to pick up more if necessary. On our HAL cruise last fall I left my books in the library when I was done with them but there wasn't anything there that appealed to me to take in return....

I always, always pack an umbrella and a pair of gloves. If you are at a glacier or on a glacier excursion they do come in handy. Some cruiselines have umbrellas in the cabins but I always bring my own. They take up so little room. The clothes are in layers, turtlenecks, a sweater and a medium weight jacket. Enjoy your cruise.

Marilyn

Marilyn, thanks a lot for reminding the gloves. It wasn't on my list. But it seems to be needed when cruising into those fyords.

Don't even think of going to Alaska without a good pair of binoculars.:D

Absolutely! Do you bring one for each person in your party, or share it among the group? I am very attempted to get a second set.

Like others, I am a big believer in rolling clothes as much as I can. I also like to limit my colors as much as possible in case I have to do some laundry.

great suggestion. yeah, I used to overpack on clothes as well.

Plenox--we bring binoculars everywhere (my husband always gets the window seat on an airplane because he likes to look out with his binocs) So, between him always using his binocs and the issues I have with sharing in general (what can I say, I'm an only child;) ) we're definitely bringing a pair for each of us. As I mentioned, we almost brought 3 pairs (for a party of 2:rolleyes: ) but hubby was talked out of that decision.

I don't do umbrellas, but I have a hooded goretex jacket. I also have a goretex sombrero from Outdoor Research but I haven't decided if I'll bring it or not. I have a fleece earband--it's what I use outside in the winter or when I'm skiing--my ears are more sensitive to cold & wind than the rest of me seems to be, so I can wear an earband and not overheat but still protect my ears as needed...

As a first-time cruiser to Alaska, I found this forum extraordinarily helpful. So all the suggestions you've gotten are worthwhile.

We just returned so this info is fresh & based on the wonderful weather we had. Binoculars are a must--we brought two pairs & had them with us constantly. I also got a Bagellini backpack of strong nylon & virtually no weight so I could have the binoculars, camera, lightweight rainjacket & gloves with me when we went on side trips. I brought an umbrella--wouldn't bring one again--hooded jacket would do the trick. My gloves were fingerless with a mitten overlap---were great to have in Glacier Bay when it was chilly. I was glad I brought a pair of shorts as I wore them a lot. Depends on when you are going but we had many 70 degree-plus days.

Have a fabulous trip!

speaking of reading, my dh and I love the daily paper. Will there be one available onboard? Is it delivered to the cabin, or do you need to get it at the store?

No daily paper like you are used to reading. However, there is usually a handout that has some of the latest headlines, stock quotes, sports, etc. that is near the Purser's desk or delivered to your cabin--every ship does it different.

Our day cruising Hubbard Glacier was raining and raw. I was glad to have instant/disposable handwarmers -- the kind you can buy at Home Depot that are used by construction crews or anyone working outside in cold weather. Very small, maybe 2 square inches, easy to keep in your pocket still wrapped, and if you need them, just open up the packaging and you have wonderful, instant heat, that you would keep inside your gloves. These really allowed us to remain outside longer enjoying the beauty of the glacier.

Our day cruising Hubbard Glacier was raining and raw. I was glad to have instant/disposable handwarmers -- the kind you can buy at Home Depot that are used by construction crews or anyone working outside in cold weather. Very small, maybe 2 square inches, easy to keep in your pocket still wrapped, and if you need them, just open up the packaging and you have wonderful, instant heat, that you would keep inside your gloves. These really allowed us to remain outside longer enjoying the beauty of the glacier.

I have used those at Denali as well. Very small, really give off a good amount of heat and for a fairly long period of time. Cost under $1 each

Here is the "ultimate" packing list for cold weather shared on another thread. It has several items I would never take but it also has several I wouldn't leave home without. Either way, it can act as a checklist to see if there's anything you've forgotten. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/UPL-2_Adults_Cold.html

Diana

Here is the "ultimate" packing list for cold weather shared on another thread. It has several items I would never take but it also has several I wouldn't leave home without. Either way, it can act as a checklist to see if there's anything you've forgotten. Enjoy!

http://www.geocities.com/Calgon1/UPL-2_Adults_Cold.html

Diana

"Third carryon" and "large suitcase #2"? I think I will stick to my scaled down packing list but thanks for giving me a good chuckle at that list!

John

Archived