Trains from New York

pompeycruiser

We are booked on a westbound TA on QM2 next April returning on an eastbound TA 12 days later. At the moment we are considering what to do with our stay ashore and one possibilty is to take the train up into Canada and visit Toronto and Montreal. On looking at the Amtrak site it appears that the journey to Toronto takes about 12 hrs and the catering facility consists of a snack bar! Does anyone have any experience of journeys from N Y into Canada? Ideally we do not want to fly nor do we want to hire a car as we hope to spend most of our time in cities.

David

We've taken Amtrak to all but one of our QM2 trips and we've taken it across the US. Whenever possible, we use it for short trips down to the Yorktown area.

Some trains do not have first class accomodations, but most do. On most trips (where it is available) we will reserve a room or two. These are not very expensive, but give you plenty of room (for you and all your luggage) and privacy. These also qualify as first class, which means you get to sit in a nice spot to wait for your train and you get "complimentary" food and beverage service. On trains with rooms, there is always a dining car. On trains without, there is a cafe car, which has enough decent food to get you through to your destination.

So, ask Amtrak if they have service with rooms and service with dining on the route you are looking for. And if they do, reserve a small room on the lower level (if the cars are double-decked) and enjoy the trip.

David, you don't say where you're from, but I'm guessing the UK. Even though our English relatives complain that the trains are not as good as they were, they're way ahead of US trains for comfort and service. So don't expect too much from Amtrack. The eastern part of the US has the oldest rolling stock, mainly because of low overpasses that limit the height of the cars. The new Acela trains are nice, but they only run on the Boston-NY-DC route.

The train to Montreal is famous (infamous?) for being late and having poor service. I don't know why, that's just how it is. A friend took that train recently (and has taken it in the past) and said that the scenery was nice, but the train was late, as usual. However, she did say that the Via (Canadian) train to Halifax was very nice. Don't know if you've thought about Halifax for a visit. Nice maritime history.

If you decide to take the train out of NYC, do not plan to use the train's snack bar. Go to one of the many deli's in the station and buy sandwiches, salads, etc to take on the train. Or, as has been suggested, try first class.

A hint for getting good seats--even if you check your baggage (this is not available at all stations, so make sure they'll unload your baggage at your arrival station), when you sit in the waiting area for Amtrak in NYC, ask for a redcap (porter) to take you down to the train. They generally know ahead of the posting board which track the train will be on. They get you down there ahead of the rush, and can tell you where the quiet car is (if there is one), which way is forward, etc.

Have you checked Amtrak's site for mult-stop passes? I think you can get good rail passes, much as we can get BritRail passes if we buy them before we leave the US.

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

David, you don't say where you're from, but I'm guessing the UK. Even though our English relatives complain that the trains are not as good as they were, they're way ahead of US trains for comfort and service. So don't expect too much from Amtrack. The eastern part of the US has the oldest rolling stock, mainly because of low overpasses that limit the height of the cars. The new Acela trains are nice, but they only run on the Boston-NY-DC route.

The train to Montreal is famous (infamous?) for being late and having poor service. I don't know why, that's just how it is. A friend took that train recently (and has taken it in the past) and said that the scenery was nice, but the train was late, as usual. However, she did say that the Via (Canadian) train to Halifax was very nice. Don't know if you've thought about Halifax for a visit. Nice maritime history.

If you decide to take the train out of NYC, do not plan to use the train's snack bar. Go to one of the many deli's in the station and buy sandwiches, salads, etc to take on the train. Or, as has been suggested, try first class.

A hint for getting good seats--even if you check your baggage (this is not available at all stations, so make sure they'll unload your baggage at your arrival station), when you sit in the waiting area for Amtrak in NYC, ask for a redcap (porter) to take you down to the train. They generally know ahead of the posting board which track the train will be on. They get you down there ahead of the rush, and can tell you where the quiet car is (if there is one), which way is forward, etc.

Have you checked Amtrak's site for mult-stop passes? I think you can get good rail passes, much as we can get BritRail passes if we buy them before we leave the US.

Enjoy your trip!

Kathy

That reminds me of the first time I used Britrail. I was standing in line at the snack bar and struck up a conversation with the young man in front of me. I commented how much I was enjoying the trip and the train and he replied that, in reality, British rail was the worse system in all of Europe. I responded, "then never take Amtrak!"

I've taken the Adirondack (the NYC to Montreal train) for a shorter stretch, and it is almost always late. In the US, freight trains have priority over passenger trains on the tracks...and there are a lot of freight trains in the east.

You might want to reconsider driving, the hardest part is getting out of NYC and after that you'd be in beautiful New England (my home). Driving from NYC to Montreal would take about 6 1/2 hours depending on traffic. But there's so much to stop and see along the way too...and you'd have the freedom of your own car.

If they don't have car rentals at the Brooklyn Terminal, you could always take a transfer to one of the airports and get one there.

Incidently...we'll be taking an eastbound crossing in April and returning westbound (after 12 days in Europe).

Archived