First time for Holland...Any secrects we should know??

TomAndJane

We are currently booked on our first cruise with Holland. Are there any tips or secrets we should know about? We have cruised several times before and have others planned but this will be the first time on Holland. We will be on the Zaandam.

Thanks

Tom

The Culinary Arts Demonstrations are very popular. Get there early. The Crows Nest is a hidden oasis. I love the personal music system in the Explorations Cafe. And just a small tip; very few people refer to it as Holland, rather HAL or Holland America

Have a great cruise.

We are currently booked on our first cruise with Holland. Are there any tips or secrets we should know about? We have cruised several times before and have others planned but this will be the first time on Holland. We will be on the Zaandam.

Thanks

Tom

We will be reading this thread with interest, since we are on our first HAL cruise in January 2008.

Thanks for everyone who has replied!

They have the best icecream in the Lido (banana is our favourite). Also look for the unlimited drink sail aways. We have pina coloda's when we were in Acapulco...they were in pineapples and were amazing.

The ships are a smorgisboard. Go through the daily menu and select what you want to do and do not try to do everything on one cruise.

Relax and enjoy the service

Room service has a great club sandwich - have lived on it.

Don't miss desert extravaganza....

Have a great cruise and do what you want on formal nights..... I wear Peppy Le Pew slippers with my Tux....

Ruth and Jim

Don't miss the escargot...an appetizer on one of the formal nights, nor the Parmesean Encrusted Chicken! I'll throw in my vote for the bread pudding in the Lido, too!

Also, the wonderful specialty coffees in the Explorations Cafe!

You will find the ships of HAL to be clean, stylishly decorated and staffed by a wonderful crew that know your vacation is special to you and want to make it memorable. The bar crews are all from the Phillipines and your dining and cabin stewards are from Indonesia. They are wonderful people with families far away and only get to go home for a few weeks a year.

Where all the wonderful food comes from day after day is beyond many.The loudest round of applause is your last night when all the chefs pass in review.

Prepare to gain some weight. The passenger roster is made up of fewer children than other lines..Mostly family reunion groups, those celebrating successful lives and honeymooners. The nightclubs and lounges all have something special and different from eachother. A daily newsletter describes everything there is to do and see.

Book your shore excursions early, keep your hands clean and always be careful on the stairs when underway.

Leaving the ship to come home will depress you a bit, but that is the moment you will promise yourself to return.

Smooth Sailing..

They have the best icecream in the Lido (banana is our favourite). Also look for the unlimited drink sail aways. We have pina coloda's when we were in Acapulco...they were in pineapples and were amazing.

Whats the deal with the unlimited drink sailaways?

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise as well!

Thanks!

The Zaandam is a great boat. If you want a really neat view, go forward on the promenade deck, through the staff-only door on the starboard side (its ok to do that), and out onto the forward deck. Its a great place to go for observations at sail-away and dock. Its also a great place to go when the ship is at sea to do the Titanic Leo "I'm the King of the World" routine! :eek: Sadly, Leo won't be there to put his arms around you. :D

We try and make the afternoon teas. They are a great relaxer after a hectic day in port, or just a busy day of shipboard activities.

Also, take advantage of the full-menu room service. We enjoy room service breakfasts on early port days and disembarkation days.

The Daily Activity sheets are perforated so you can detatch and carry around the schedule for easy reference.

Ask your cabin steward for a few extra bars of that wonderful facial and bath soap to take home.

Use the bath robes for lounging around.

Don't forget to attend the Desert Extravaganza!!

Take time to get to know your Indonesian Cabin and Dining Room Stewards. They are a real joy and are truly happy to serve you.

Best room service! Order hot food all day long. Hot breakfast, not just continental breakfast. For lunch and dinner you can order what is being served in the dining room to be delivered to your room. If you are under the weather this is great. Also the buffet is not open late afternoon or late night so just order room service and you will be fine.

Cappucino is served in the dining room free of charge. I had it each night with dessert.

Enjoy the full promenade deck with the teak chairs.

The staff is very nice and professional.

If the Zaandam has a CROW'S NEST, don't miss it! A beautiful circular bar forward, enclosed in glass.

Absolutely beautiful views, wonderful servers, and fun "drinks of the day". It was our favorite "Happy Hour" hangout on the Volendam.

You're going to go CRAZY over HAL. :)

On the sheet you put out at night for breakfast for room service, write in your request -- it regularly will come. I always ask for salmon and lox with my bagel -- it is heavenly in the morning with coffee. Even though it is not on the list they bring it gladly.

Remember to tip your room service server as they are usually different every time.

Tip two -- bring flowers onboard from your port. Much cheaper and they make any room feel like a suite.

Tip Three - bring fake candles that use flickering lights (you can buy them at the dollar store) and place around your room and bathtub for a romantic atmosphere. (no real candles are allowed in your room)

Tip Four - buy the laundry package for the whole week. You can pack less and then have all your laundry done so you don't have to do any when you get home -- LOVE this.

Whats the deal with the unlimited drink sailaways?

Looking forward to my first HAL cruise as well!

Thanks!

You pay a flat rate (it was $12 for this one for us) and you can drink all you want during the sail away (usually 2 hours).

The Explorations Cafe is a wonderful spot to relax -- be sure to grab a butter-soft leather chair by one of the windows, put on a pair of comfy earphones, choose your own playlist, close your eyes, and say aaah! Also, do not miss the honey-mustard salad dressing in the Lido - delicious!

Archived